• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billy Bones

Flagoneer
    Mar 27, 2012
    Grasonville, Md
    Looking to take an entrance level AR15 course this summer.

Did a cursory Google search for Md/De area beginner AR15 courses and did not find any courses scheduled.

If anyone has any leads on available courses for June/ July/ August, please post up or pm me.

Thank you. :)

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    You want a technical course in building a rifle or a tactical/practical shooting course for the AR15?

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    If shooting, then I'd recommend Green Ops Carbine I (or one of their 4 hour clinics to start) or FPF Training "Minuteman Rifle Course". Both are in Northern Virginia.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    ARPC does a beginners carbine course. Check us out we shoot at the AGC.

https://arlingtonrpc.org/

I have also taken a carbine course with Center mass training and a long range course with peacemaker in WV.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Appleseed shoots are a good time, and you will learn a lot about the fundamentals of marksmanship.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Appleseed would certainly be a good fit (though I am biased).

Our next Maryland centerfire event is at Sanners in Lexington Park June 8-9, 2019. But we do have loaner AR-style 22s for events at the rimfire only Annapolis events - have one in 2 weeks plus others throughout the summer. In September we will have some other centerfire events at AGC and Sanners and in October a 200yd centerfire event on the Eastern Shore. Happy to provide more info.

Invicta

Sep 16, 2018
    How beginner? I highly recommend Green Ops as well, but you do need a basic understanding of the rifle and marksmanship before attending their level 1 course.

If shooting, then I'd recommend Green Ops Carbine I (or one of their 4 hour clinics to start) or FPF Training "Minuteman Rifle Course". Both are in Northern Virginia.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Appleseed would certainly be a good fit (though I am biased).

Our next Maryland centerfire event is at Sanners in Lexington Park June 8-9, 2019. But we do have loaner AR-style 22s for events at the rimfire only Annapolis events - have one in 2 weeks plus others throughout the summer. In September we will have some other centerfire events at AGC and Sanners and in October a 200yd centerfire event on the Eastern Shore. Happy to provide more info.

Good morning.

I’ve looked on the Appleseed site and don’t see recommendations/requirements for a centerfire rifle (ar15) and given the wide variety of configurations (sights, stocks, slings, optics) I’d like to know what is allowed, disallowed before registering.

Can you assist or point me to the published information?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Appleseed is a great start to basic riflry.

Then there are a number of courses around.

I did a write up my 3 day Carbine course with BSR out at Summit Point. They teach a lot of LEO, GOV, and MIL groups. They have 1, 2, and 3 day courses. I was VERY happy with the training. I fired around 1500 rounds in the 3 day course.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Good morning.

I’ve looked on the Appleseed site and don’t see recommendations/requirements for a centerfire rifle (ar15) and given the wide variety of configurations (sights, stocks, slings, optics) I’d like to know what is allowed, disallowed before registering.

Can you assist or point me to the published information?

Happy to help!

Appleseed events will train you to hit a 4MOA Target out to 400-500 yards with a rack grade rifle and ammo, although most of our Maryland events simulate all of that at 25 yards.

You will get a crash course in the six steps to firing a shot, steady hold factors in prone, seated/kneeling, and standing positions, and natural point of aim. Also a useful intro to competitive shooting like high power matches, though it is not a competitive event. You do get scored though and will see your progress as you learn and practice more and can achieve a coveted Rifleman patch if you score Expert during the weekend.

We do not teach shooting on the move, use of cover, that kind of thing. Other tactical / practical carbine courses focus on that and I have learned a lot at those as well.

Our motto is “you run what ya brung” and can generally help you get up to speed.

As such, there are no real restrictions on AR15s at our centerfire events (which are based on range compatibility but have the same exact same training approach). We have people shoot effectively using ARs with scopes, red dots, or fixed and flip-up iron sights. The ARs can be bone stock carbines to upgraded everything including suppressors (I have seen both and everything in between).

We encourage and teach the use of the GI sling (aka the M1 Garand canvas sling) so it is helpful to have sling attachment points. But we can probably rig you up at the event.

You will need at least two 10 round magazines, though 4 would be best. Ammo-wise, people shoot everything from Federal American Eagle and Wolf Gold 223 to match grade 556. You will shoot 300-500 rounds depending on whether it is a one day or two day event. If you are shooting a highly unusual caliber we can discuss but stuff like 300 blackout is fine too. We prefer factory loads to hand loads, mainly for safety.

Haven’t seen an AR pistol or pistol caliber carbine on the line but would be allowed up to .45 ACP. Probably won’t be as accurate though for what we teach. Doesn’t have to be an AR either - people run ACRs, SCARs, Garands, AKs. You could run a bolt action Springfield 1903!

It is a lot of fun and you will learn a lot of history along the way as well.

Ok, enough info for now. Happy to answer more questions and feel free to PM me as well.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Call the Machine Gun Nest in Frederick.
    Ask for Ryan.

They may not have it on the schedule but I know they teach it.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Happy to help!

Appleseed events will train you to hit a 4MOA Target out to 400-500 yards with a rack grade rifle and ammo, although most of our Maryland events simulate all of that at 25 yards.

You will get a crash course in the six steps to firing a shot, steady hold factors in prone, seated/kneeling, and standing positions, and natural point of aim. Also a useful intro to competitive shooting like high power matches, though it is not a competitive event. You do get scored though and will see your progress as you learn and practice more and can achieve a coveted Rifleman patch if you score Expert during the weekend.

We do not teach shooting on the move, use of cover, that kind of thing. Other tactical / practical carbine courses focus on that and I have learned a lot at those as well.

Our motto is “you run what ya brung” and can generally help you get up to speed.

As such, there are no real restrictions on AR15s at our centerfire events (which are based on range compatibility but have the same exact same training approach). We have people shoot effectively using ARs with scopes, red dots, or fixed and flip-up iron sights. The ARs can be bone stock carbines to upgraded everything including suppressors (I have seen both and everything in between).

We encourage and teach the use of the GI sling (aka the M1 Garand canvas sling) so it is helpful to have sling attachment points. But we can probably rig you up at the event.

You will need at least two 10 round magazines, though 4 would be best. Ammo-wise, people shoot everything from Federal American Eagle and Wolf Gold 223 to match grade 556. You will shoot 300-500 rounds depending on whether it is a one day or two day event. If you are shooting a highly unusual caliber we can discuss but stuff like 300 blackout is fine too. We prefer factory loads to hand loads, mainly for safety.

Haven’t seen an AR pistol or pistol caliber carbine on the line but would be allowed up to .45 ACP. Probably won’t be as accurate though for what we teach. Doesn’t have to be an AR either - people run ACRs, SCARs, Garands, AKs. You could run a bolt action Springfield 1903!

It is a lot of fun and you will learn a lot of history along the way as well.

Ok, enough info for now. Happy to answer more questions and feel free to PM me as well.

Thanks! Will send a pm when I’m back to a full sized keyboard

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    How beginner? I highly recommend Green Ops as well, but you do need a basic understanding of the rifle and marksmanship before attending their level 1 course.
    They're my recommendation, too. I think they're pretty beginner friendly. The only pre-req is that you need to zero your rifle, and that's something you can do 30 minutes before the clinic (and I've literally done just that, too). The rest of it is just bringing the right equipment.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They're my recommendation, too. I think they're pretty beginner friendly. The only pre-req is that you need to zero your rifle, and that's something you can do 30 minutes before the clinic (and I've literally done just that, too). The rest of it is just bringing the right equipment.

What are you doing to take 30 minutes to zero?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom