• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    He's half right. Without a firing pin it won't fire full auto, or semi-auto or single shot either.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    There is some truth behind the tale.

The M16 Firing Pin has a larger flange on it than an AR15 Firing Pin.

Some unshrouded AR15 Bolt Carriers could only accept the small flange AR15 Firing Pins. I have a Bolt Carrier that will only accept small flange AR15 Firing Pins.

Back in the day before there were readily available AR parts you had a limited selection of spare parts, so people often would file down the flange on surplus M16 Firing Pins fit in their AR15.

The modification did not make the gun full auto.

The small flange AR15 Firing Pins do reduce mass and lower the chance of a slam fire with soft primers.

The unshrouded Carriers and Notched Hammers were manufactured to prevent people from removing the Disconnector form the gun which can result in DANGEROUS hammer following/slam fires.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just to review for myself one mo' time :

Certian Bolt Carriers have different ID. Typically shrouded vs unshrouded , but it's a big world with lots of small machine shops, so off the wall combos are possible.

Other than flange dia , the firing pins are substantially similar, and function the same .

Somthing like the above ?

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I like the Black rifle groups on FB that say, "drop an auto sear in and it is full auto" I bailed on that group today.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ok question 2:

If you modify (correctly) an AR15 to full auto, would it still be an "AR15" OR an M16?

If you put a Civic type R motor in to an LS and swap the suspension, is it a Civic type R or an LS?

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Just tell them it is already full auto. Because AR stands for Automatic Rifle.

:sarcasm: yes, but would love to see their faces.

Even my kids know what AR stands for....... :rolleyes:

Sirex