• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I am looking into building a chassis rifle or buying a Ruger precision rifle. After looking at pricing, I am thinking I may build my own rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. This leads to my question of what is the most accurate action to start with? I am looking at either at Remington 700 action, Savage model 10 action, Howa 1500, Ruger American, or something else. I am trying to keep the cost down below $2000 for the completed rifle so I am not looking at $1000 custom actions.

I am planning on using an ESS chassis with a 24 to 26 inch barrel (debating between Criterion or Shilen). This is partially about the finished product but also about learning some basic gun smithing. :D

When I was shopping for a 6.5 Creedmoor a while back, one of the things I learned was there is SO MUCH support for anything built on a Remington 700 action, or the 700 footprint. I ended up getting a Bergara B-14 HMR. It's a ready to go out the box, which is what I wanted, but when deciding between that and a few others, the selling point for me was it has a Rem 700 footprint which means almost everything made for the 700, will fit on the Bergara.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Ford vs Chevy, 9mm vs 45. Actions are just another debate that'll rage on until the end of time.

Greatest amount of support is for the Rem 700, most easy to work on yourself (IMO), would be Savage. Find a blueprinted 700 with a Remage conversion, and that'd be golden. Have the footprint of the 700, but the ease of caliber/barrel swap as you would on a Savage - Win.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you want a well built rifle, you will have to have a Rem 700 action tuned.

By the time you buy the action and have it tuned/trued, you will have spent as much as the lower end custom actions like a Stiller or Kelblys

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    Ptg sells blueprint 700 actions. I still think a built rifle would be the way to go. That ess chasis is going to handicap your other decisions. There are lots of other great rfles below $2k. The seekins havak for instance has a great action and is well below 2k.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    The PVA John Hancock is built to meet PRS production rifle requirements. It is a hell of a lot of rifle for the money. It comes with a Nucleus action, Rock Creek barrel, KRG Bravo chassis, and a Timney trigger and user changeable barrels.

It is priced at just under $2000 in accordance with production rules and unlike a custom rifle or a Ruger with a better barrel, if you wanted to compete you could shoot production with it.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    The PVA John Hancock is built to meet PRS production rifle requirements. It is a hell of a lot of rifle for the money. It comes with a Nucleus action, Rock Creek barrel, KRG Bravo chassis, and a Timney trigger and user changeable barrels.

It is priced at just under $2000 in accordance with production rules and unlike a custom rifle or a Ruger with a better barrel, if you wanted to compete you could shoot production with it.

Agreed,but i hear the wait time is over 6 months.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    OP... My personal opinion would be the Savage Model 10 for several reasons: easy to get, doesnt need blueprinting, cheap, can change your own barrels, and your chances of getting a turd is less than a Rem 700. Although Savage doesnt have the after market support that the 700 has, it is still substantial. Having said all that, any of the actions will do and you can make them work.

From and economic perspective, you can get the Model 10 for approximately $300. A decent stock for about the same price, and a prefit barrel for another $300-400. Spend the rest on a decent scope ($600-700), base/rings ($100) and bipod ($100).

DONT buy a crappy scope or bipod. Plenty of "beginner" scopes out there for $400, but the next level up will get you much better glass. I have a SWFA Super Sniper Tactical that was $399. That was my first scope and I still have it. I will say that it does the job and I'll never get rid of it, but it lacks in a lot of areas. I have used it competitions and its been out to 1200yds... Not ideal though. Again, consider the next level of scopes. For bipod, nothing less than a Harris. Why? Ive seen countless cheap bipods fail.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That's what I did, almost to a T. Although I did piss away more than a grand playing around with stocks and chassis', until I found what suited me best.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    This leads to my question of what is the most accurate action to start with? :D
    I would get a Tikka action just get a used rifle with a 308 boltface. Pick blued or stainless, left or right hand. Tikka actions don't need blueprinting and the ESS chassis is compatible
    Or get a CTR and drop in a a chassis
    Or get a TAC A1

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I am looking into building a chassis rifle or buying a Ruger precision rifle. After looking at pricing, I am thinking I may build my own rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. This leads to my question of what is the most accurate action to start with? I am looking at either at Remington 700 action, Savage model 10 action, Howa 1500, Ruger American, or something else. I am trying to keep the cost down below $2000 for the completed rifle so I am not looking at $1000 custom actions.

I am planning on using an ESS chassis with a 24 to 26 inch barrel (debating between Criterion or Shilen). This is partially about the finished product but also about learning some basic gun smithing. :D

Does your $2,000 budget include the scope, or is that coming from an additional budget?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Does your $2,000 budget include the scope, or is that coming from an additional budget?

Unless I misread the OP, I took it as $2K out-the-door and on the firing line.

For $2K or less, he has options. It's doable, may not be the fanciest rig with all the bells & whistles, but it'd be a good entry rig.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Unless I misread the OP, I took it as $2K out-the-door and on the firing line.

For $2K or less, he has options. It's doable, may not be the fanciest rig with all the bells & whistles, but it'd be a good entry rig.

I am hoping that for my first precision rifle to keep the entire thing under 2K but am willing to go a little higher with the scope if I need to. I know that building will likely be more expensive at the end of the day, but part of this is learning more about gun smithing. I was planning on using an Athlon scope as I have had a great experience with an Athlon Argos scope out to 500 yards on my Remington 700 SPS in 223. I was figuring on going up a step or two and spending around $700 for the optic.

I found out from using my 270 and 30-06 that I am recoil sensitive in my shoulder due to a bad separation. I am planning on modifying whatever gun I get to increase the weight to help with this which is why I am going with the ESS chassis as I think I can easily modify it to add additional weight in a a manner that lets me balance the rifle and not be permanent. This build is really an entry gun to learn long distance shooting and to see if my shoulder can take a higher recoil than a 223 for 100+ rounds on a gun that is not a light weight hunting rifle. I am ok with not having all the bells and whistles at this time. At the same time, I am also trying to not just throw money away.

Looking at the different guns and actions that people have been proposing, I do not think I am going with a custom action at this time. I have had great accuracy from my stock 223 Remington 700 (.6 inches/ 5 shots/ 200 yards) so I think I would get a blueprinted version and save a few hundred bucks if I go that route. I do like the Tikka actions and have heard nothing but great things. If I can find a Tikka action or a gun for cheap, I may go that route.

Thanks for all of the advice. I am hoping a few more people will chime in with their opinions!

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I am hoping that for my first precision rifle to keep the entire thing under 2K but am willing to go a little higher with the scope if I need to. I know that building will likely be more expensive at the end of the day, but part of this is learning more about gun smithing. I was planning on using an Athlon scope as I have had a great experience with an Athlon Argos scope out to 500 yards on my Remington 700 SPS in 223. I was figuring on going up a step or two and spending around $700 for the optic.

I found out from using my 270 and 30-06 that I am recoil sensitive in my shoulder due to a bad separation. I am planning on modifying whatever gun I get to increase the weight to help with this which is why I am going with the ESS chassis as I think I can easily modify it to add additional weight in a a manner that lets me balance the rifle and not be permanent. This build is really an entry gun to learn long distance shooting and to see if my shoulder can take a higher recoil than a 223 for 100+ rounds on a gun that is not a light weight hunting rifle. I am ok with not having all the bells and whistles at this time. At the same time, I am also trying to not just throw money away.

Looking at the different guns and actions that people have been proposing, I do not think I am going with a custom action at this time. I have had great accuracy from my stock 223 Remington 700 (.6 inches/ 5 shots/ 200 yards) so I think I would get a blueprinted version and save a few hundred bucks if I go that route. I do like the Tikka actions and have heard nothing but great things. If I can find a Tikka action or a gun for cheap, I may go that route.

Thanks for all of the advice. I am hoping a few more people will chime in with their opinions!

Get a good brake and that'll help, a lot.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Get a good brake and that'll help, a lot.

I actually have never used a brake before so I am hoping that between the brake and the weight, I can shoot without issues. Is it best to just read peoples reviews and judge a brake that way or are there any specific features that I should look for that help more?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I had this same dilemma about a month ago. My budget was 2K also and I was looking at a Howa HCR, then I thought about doing a chassis build with a Howa or Rem 700 action in a ESS, then I was looking at the Bergera and Tikka chassis offering's.

I went with the Tikka T3X Tac A1. I bought some Graf and sons brass with small primer pockets, added 147gr ELD-Ms with some Varget and Shot a 1.85" group at 300yds. The vertical spread was 1.85" and the horizontal spread was under and inch. The low flier messed up the group overall but it was still impressive. There was a lot of mirage and the bulls eye was a blurry red blob looking through the scope. The rifle has a 10-50X60 SIII on it with a 20MOA riser and Leupold rings. The rifle is awesome, all I had to do was adjust the trigger a little, add a scope and a bipod and I'm good to go. The Tikka comes threaded with a brake and thread protector. They are doing a deal right now for a free mag by mail so you end up with 3 10 rounders. The mags are $99 which is nuts but I won't need more than 3 anyway.

I'm pretty happy with my choice and it was easier than messing with an action and chassis setup. Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom