• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Looking for a good rifle to use for deer hunting on my 16 acre farm, maybe even for hunting trips later on.. Rifle I’m looking at is in various packages and narrowed it down to the 2 smallest in both 6.5 and .308
    Perfect world would be smallest lightest package, less recoil the better, cheaper ammo the better.. Also to add it will be suppressed (leaning towards a SilencerCo omega 30 cal can which will add 7” in length) to target shoot semi often, preferably to keep the neighbors happy and not have to double down with ear protection (note I havent pissed off any neighbors with hobby so far and want to keep it that way!)

In my short time of reading so far.. The battle of the heavyweights looks like the following

Cheaper Ammo (*I don’t reload)
    .308 easily (especially with surplus ammo)

Lighter chassis
    .308 version 6.9lbs with 16” configuration (7.5lbs with 20” 6.5 CM model)

Accuracy in most all conditions with range out to 1,000yds
    6.5 CM particularly beyond 500yds with less than ideal conditions

Shooting Suppressed (closest to being hearing safe)
    .308 (easily with subs)

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    If you are planning to shoot subs, it's going to be worthless to go with the 6.5. Honestly, you might as well pick up a 300 blk.

I think a big question is how far do you think you will be shooting? If you are planning to hunt or shoot out past 3-400 yards, the 6.5 starts to get more interesting.

There doesn't seem to be much difference in price between hunting ammo for either gun. The surplus 308 is nice to have access to but it's not precision ammo and not a great hunting round.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    either cal is fine for deer on 16 acres. while the 6.5 isn't necessarily more "accurate" than the 308, you can generally get lower ballistic coefficient bullets/rounds which will shoot a little flatter but more importantly have less wind drift, so more margin for error. the 308 with a little more knockdown power (kinetic energy) will open up larger game opportunities.

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    Ammo

Simple.

The 6.5 CM is the current darling of the "shooters" who don't know any better.

If you don't reload then you should know 6.5 CM is not available around every gun shop or Walmart.

the 308 is available everywhere for cheap.

If you are really going to shoot long range regularly then get the 6.5 CM (and learn to reload)

Otherwise stick with with the round that ain't going away in the next 20 years.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    If you are planning to shoot subs, it's going to be worthless to go with the 6.5. Honestly, you might as well pick up a 300 blk.

I think a big question is how far do you think you will be shooting? If you are planning to hunt or shoot out past 3-400 yards, the 6.5 starts to get more interesting.

There doesn't seem to be much difference in price between hunting ammo for either gun. The surplus 308 is nice to have access to but it's not precision ammo and not a great hunting round.

Ultimately just wanted the versatility, but I can easily see myself picking up whichever caliber I forego now and getting the other in a different model next year..such as a Rem 700 or RPR

I also considered a .300 BLK upper to swap on my pistol or carbine

I do realize that the 6.5cm fanboy crowd is growing and very loud and proud at the moment but could just as quickly disappear over the next decade.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I love my 16" .308 AR. Weighs in at about 8lbs without a magazine in it. Very handy gun. Love my 18" precision .308 bolt rifle, too. Also pretty handy. Can't wait for the form 4 to come back on the can I am going to put on it. 6.5 creedmoor is an outstanding round, but the diversity and availability of .308 ammo won out for this non-reloader. I want a 6.5 creedmoor gun someday, though.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV

Note that 6.5 has been around it migrated from Europe and growing here in the US.

JMO if you want Versatility 7.62x51/308 is the Route I would take and took.

CurlyDave

May 29, 2015
    Oregon
    The best hunting rifle I have ever owned is my .308 BAR.

I hunt in the west, where shots tend to be longer, but I have never shot at a deer over 150 yards in 12 years of hunting. It is a whole lot easier to make even a 400 yard shot with a keyboard than an actual rifle.

Long range shooting is a whole different ballgame than hunting and you might want to get a different rifle for that sport.

You say you might make hunting trips. That is exactly why I went with .308. I can buy it anywhere I want to hunt in the US. And with a little effort I can get 150, 165 or 180 grain bullets. 150s are more common in deer hunting areas, but I prefer the 180s just in case a bear or a cougar shows up. I have never lost a deer I have hit with a 180 grain .308, and most are only one shot.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I don't think the 6.5 is going anywhere. It may lose some steam, but the industry is fully backing it and it's popular among the reloaders, non-reloaders, hunters and competition shooters. It's not as easy to get as .308, but it aint exactly hard either.

Some of the secondary considerations are barrel life, "cheap" ammo, and recoil. Of course, you can mitigate some of that but, ballistically, the 6.5 makes the .308 look silly.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I like the 308 with 20" barrel...

You can buy good quality 308 ammo inexpensively at Walmart 308 in Fallston...

Try finding 6.5 Creedmore anywhere at any price locally when the shtf...

308 will get it done & you can afford to stock some ammo...

Just one old Jarhead's opinion...

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    I don't think the 6.5 is going anywhere. It may lose some steam, but the industry is fully backing it and it's popular among the reloaders, non-reloaders, hunters and competition shooters. It's not as easy to get as .308, but it aint exactly hard either.

Some of the secondary considerations are barrel life, "cheap" ammo, and recoil. Of course, you can mitigate some of that but, ballistically, the 6.5 makes the .308 look silly.

I agree.

BUT the 6.5CM WAS the pro's cartridge just a few years ago now its on the outs...

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/02/16/long-range-calibers-cartridges-what-the-pros-use/

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I agree.

BUT the 6.5CM WAS the pro's cartridge just a few years ago now its on the outs...

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/02/16/long-range-calibers-cartridges-what-the-pros-use/

i think 'on the outs' is a bit of an overstatement. it's an excellent competition round with a bunch of good factory ammo options out there. can even find some ammo in walmart unlike anything else on that list (other than 308 of course). it certainly has the lion's share at the last LR match at peacemaker that i did.

Attachments

• PNTC October 2017 LRC Results.pdf
      358.3 KB · Views: 215

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I like the 308 with 20" barrel...

You can buy good quality 308 ammo inexpensively at Walmart 308 in Fallston...

Try finding 6.5 Creedmore anywhere at any price locally when the shtf...

308 will get it done & you can afford to stock some ammo...

Just one old Jarhead's opinion...

To expand on this thought, 6.5cm IS NOT USED in MACHINE GUNS...

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Another dumb question while I’m at it, will running a suppressor on a .308 help reduce recoil?

I did a brief price check online for ammo and it appears I will pay roughly the same give or take on various grains and brand.. Being able to grab a inexpensive box of .308 at my local Walmart (Fallston) is always a plus..
    The only standout I see is being able to buy .308 Sub’s for around a $1 a trigger pull

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...a-matchking-hollow-point-boat-tail-box-of-100

Either way it appears this is another Ford vs Chevy Coke vs Pepsi debate

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Another dumb question while I’m at it, will running a suppressor on a .308 help reduce recoil?

I did a brief price check online for ammo and it appears I will pay roughly the same give or take on various grains and brand.. Being able to grab a inexpensive box of .308 at my local Walmart (Fallston) is always a plus..
    The only standout I see is being able to buy .308 Sub’s for around a $1 a trigger pull

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...a-matchking-hollow-point-boat-tail-box-of-100

Either way it appears this is another Ford vs Chevy Coke vs Pepsi debate

I have a DPMS G2 .308 with a 16" barrel but haven't yet shot it suppressed. I have a 20" bolt gun in 308 that I do shoot suppressed but I can't say it makes a huge difference on recoil. It feels like less recoil but it could be my perception as its quieter and the muzzle break is contained in the can.

Lehigh makes great 194gr .308 bullets that will expand with the slower velocities. My accuracy wasn't great, like 1" at 50 yards with their factory loads in 300BLK.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes a suppressor will reduce recoil. Beyond the extra weight, it reduces high velocity gases exiting in a rush from the barrel. Not as much reduction as a really good brake, but about on part of a mediocre brake. The upside is it makes it a LOT quieter, which any brake is going to make it LOUDER for the shooter and spectators.

My 2 cents would be an AR-10 with an 18” Barrel. I personally think 18” in a semi is a pretty ideal barrel length for a mix of lightweight, easy handling, increases muzzle velocity and reduced report/flash/blast. Now if you are using the suppressor for hunting as well, then I’d go 16”. The extra length and weight of one means you want to go as short as you reasonably can.

You mention 1000yds. Not sure you’ll get there with a 16” .308. I think you’d be wanting to look more like a 20”+ for that. I don’t recall the exact math/ballistics, but for a 175gr low drag .308 match round I think you are looking at about a 25fps loss per inch of barrel length. So a 16” .308 might go transonic around 900yds or so.

But I’d look for confirmation from someone else on that.

I want a 6.5CM at some point, but after I’ve built my .308 AR-10. I’ve got a Sako in .308 with a 23” Barrel to complement it. At some point I’ll probably get long and heavy barreled chassis gun in .308 as well. But I’ll probably build a 6.5CM AR-10 upper and get a bolt gun in 6.5CM first.

Now to really twist your noodle, it looks like some folks are starting to push .338 Federal for AR-10s. That would be interesting.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    6.5 for paper punching. .308 for deer, your not shooting deer at 1000m. I have both, .308 has a better "heavy" hunting bullet selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom