• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joncorleone

Sep 1, 2019
    With all the confusing laws in MD, is there such a thing as buying too much ammo before it triggers some suspicion? I wanted to buy 1000 rounds of 9mm but a friend of mine said that may be too much and can raise suspicion. I thought I was just being smart and instead of buying boxes of 50 for 11-16 bucks.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    With all the confusing laws in MD, is there such a thing as buying too much ammo before it triggers some suspicion? I wanted to buy 1000 rounds of 9mm but a friend of mine said that may be too much and can raise suspicion. I thought I was just being smart and instead of buying boxes of 50 for 11-16 bucks.

****If buying 1000 rounds of ammo was a crime in this state, I'd be on death row!!! (yes... I know the death penalty was eliminated in MD, but they'd bring it BACK if it can help save the children from folks like me who buy ammo in lots of at least 1000 rounds...) Fortunately, I have no guns from which to shoot all of that ammo as they were all lost in a boating accident.

Why I need so much ammo is a mystery to me.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

You need new friends lol. No issues. I almost always buy ammo by the 1,000 round case.
    Hell there are some here that buy 5,000 rounds at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 13, 2005
    OP, what kind of suspicion are you concerned with? Not sure exactly what you are worried about and what MD specific agency you are thinking is monitoring bulk ammo sales, and what specifically they would do if they thought you had bought too much??

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    3638D9A3-927D-4CEE-BBAC-CA9BFA098B19.jpeg

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Given the propensity for emotion-caused market volatility, having a reasonable amount of ammunition on hand is wise. Plain-vanilla 22 caliber ammunition was virtually impossible to come by for quite some time a few years ago, and when it could be had, prices reflected the gouging activity that was going on.

There is at present no legal restriction on the amount of ammunition you can buy and store. Of course, all that is subject to the whim of the MD General Assembly, which does its best to intimidate and disarm the law-abiding every year, when they go into session from January until early April. California has opened the door to ammunition restriction, and it will be attempted in Maryland next January - count on it.

You may ask how much ammunition you might want to have on hand. That depends on your usage, of course, and your comfort level if supplies should dry up, either through legislation or buying frenzy, which occurs around media hyped situations. As a rule of thumb, it is probably worth having 1000 rounds per firearm, or at least per each caliber of firearm you own. Shelf life shouldn't be an issue, so long as the stuff is kept reasonably warm and dry.

A firearm without ammunition is merely a hunk of metal, wood and plastic. Your friend sounds like he's been in Maryland too long. People who live in free states are not usually concerned about arousing suspicion regarding acting within their protected rights.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The main thing to be aware of is the weight of the ammo and the structure of the floor below it. Never store ammo that your floor cannot safely support.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I was involved with Boys Brigade (CSB)with one of my sons probably 20 years ago and ran into one of the dads buying ammo at Walmart for our annual shooting camp out----basically had an entire shopping cart loaded up with 12 g shells -1000s of rounds of .22 and a bunch of miscellaneous .38 - .45 and some other rifle cartridges like 30-06 and .223. The dads all brought their personal guns so there was a wide variety. When we walked up to the checkout counter and the cashier was running it through I told him a very loud voice to make sure to get that back to the "compound" ASAP. Boy did we get some looks! By the end of the weekend it was all shot up--Mayberry Fish and Game in Carroll County-one of the dads was a member.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom