• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Won’t happen. The HQL hasn’t been shot down and other states have FOID cards that have been found to be constitutional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry, I know your comment was from a few days ago, but just seeing this now. Obviously what distinguishes this effort from FOID is that there is a parallel, redundant proposed process that costs money and requires time (and also registers all long gun purchases of course). Having the duplicate effort (HQL and LGQL), at least in my view, makes it harder for them to do the hand wave that it isn't meant to be an infringement/obstruction. Maybe they'll also propose a third license for ammunition purchases next year.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Sorry, I know your comment was from a few days ago, but just seeing this now. Obviously what distinguishes this effort from FOID is that there is a parallel, redundant proposed process that costs money and requires time (and also registers all long gun purchases of course). Having the duplicate effort (HQL and LGQL), at least in my view, makes it harder for them to do the hand wave that it isn't meant to be an infringement/obstruction. Maybe they'll also propose a third license for ammunition purchases next year.

I agree completely, I just don’t have faith that it will get struck down. It’s all unconstitutional in my view. I’m sure they will come up with the ammo thing eventually.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Either appeal for a grandfather clause or an avenue for self serialization or both, just as a way of not punishing those of us who obeyed the law. Ultimately I think this bill will pass, it's a matter of mitigating the worst effects.

Maybe suggest that home builders be required to serialize according to existing ATF guidelines? It somewhat accomplishes what they claim to want (tracking firearms through existing systems).

How about not one fcuking inch instead?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Maybe we can get them to let us sew a yellow star or scarlet letter on our clothes.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Another few points about Illinois's FOID cards for anyone in Annapolis today should they get mentioned.

This is all that's needed for Illinois residents ...

- A Valid Driver’s License or State Identification card.

- A head and shoulder electronic photograph taken within the last 30 days.

- $10.00 payable with a credit card or electronic check.

That's it. No fingerprinting, no training course, and a minimal fee. It's good for 10 years. It enables the purchase of both handguns and long guns.

It's also required for in state ammunition purchases, although IL hunting permits or a valid concealed carry permit will also allow ammunition purchases in that state.

It's a simple one page application for those 21 and over. There's an additional page for those 18-20 where they need a guardian's signature.

One can file by mail using a printable PDF or online. Takes about a month to receive. I haven't checked what the options are to expedite.

It's still an obstruction, but if bill proponents raise it as an example for the proposed MD LGQL, it's easy to use it to show how much worse Maryland's current and proposed process is.

I'm familiar with it because my parents maintain a home in Illinois these days.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'm still burned up that those that testified are being labeled as "extremists" by MDA and MDPGV and "terrorists" by MD Democratic Party operatives. I hope someone has the chance to throw this labeling back in their faces during testimony today.

In fighting for the safety of our families, our children and for civil rights, we are called extremists. How dare they make it more difficult to protect our families and take away civil rights of future generations and refer to those that oppose these efforts as extremists and terrorists.

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    I'm still burned up that those that testified are being labeled as "extremists" by MDA and MDPGV and "terrorists" by MD Democratic Party operatives. I hope someone has the chance to throw this labeling back in their faces during testimony today.

In fighting for the safety of our families, our children and for civil rights, we are called extremists. How dare they make it more difficult to protect our families and take away civil rights of future generations and refer to those that oppose these efforts as extremists and terrorists.

It's small comfort, but at the end of the day we only have control over how we act. Anyone who believes these claims without being willing to scrutinize them enough to find the truth is beyond reaching, for the moment.

Nobody wins the name-calling vs name-calling matches that social media encourages and enables. Everyone loses.

It's not fast or sexy, but individually putting doubt into the minds of people we interact with on a personal basis by treating them with respect and courtesy ultimately builds the strongest foundation of trust. This is why successful politicians at the state level do a whole lot of door-knocking, at least in the neighborhoods they think they'll need. Nothing on the internet trumps a positive human interaction.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I'm kinda pissed the MDA releases gave credit to NRA. They said we were just doing what NRA told us. No Sweet Cheeks, our organization ain't like yours. We are truly grass roots. MDA is as grass roots as a Chia Pet.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Another few points about Illinois's FOID cards for anyone in Annapolis today should they get mentioned.

This is all that's needed for Illinois residents ...

- A Valid Driver’s License or State Identification card.

- A head and shoulder electronic photograph taken within the last 30 days.

- $10.00 payable with a credit card or electronic check.

That's it. No fingerprinting, no training course, and a minimal fee. It's good for 10 years. It enables the purchase of both handguns and long guns.

It's also required for in state ammunition purchases, although IL hunting permits or a valid concealed carry permit will also allow ammunition purchases in that state.

It's a simple one page application for those 21 and over. There's an additional page for those 18-20 where they need a guardian's signature.

One can file by mail using a printable PDF or online. Takes about a month to receive. I haven't checked what the options are to expedite.

It's still an obstruction, but if bill proponents raise it as an example for the proposed MD LGQL, it's easy to use it to show how much worse Maryland's current and proposed process is.

I'm familiar with it because my parents maintain a home in Illinois these days.

I'm from Illinois. There are a few fundamental differences between the IL FOID and the HQL/LGQL infringements that are worth mentioning: the IL FOID is a permit to possess firearms in the State of Illinois. The IL FOID also applies to possession of ammunition in the State of Illinois. You need to re-apply every 10 years in order to continue to possess your firearms and ammunition in the State of Illinois. (and pay $10 again for your God-given right to do so) Let's not hold up the IL FOID as an example of something better. The State of Illinois can take them all away and the ammo if you did not renew for any reason. I find both FOID and HQL/LGQL completely unacceptable, but of the two, I find the FOID the greater of two evils by a very large margin.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    Here are the senators and their contact info I got from my recent email for MPGV. They are really focused on the storage requirement bill. Please call all and ask them to support conceal carry and to oppose all of the infringement bills
    d6578408079c797451afca29ab44c832.jpg
    a31f6c08b63f37fdbe479ef53cd20325.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom