Extra serial number added to a 1918 M1905 bayonet - who did it & why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I am looking at a cut down, 1918, SA M1905 bayonet.

The Springfield serial number on the blade matches for the year of production but it has an additional number stamped on the guard that I am trying to figure out where it most likely came from and why.

Pls see attached photo.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 5.59.40 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 5.59.40 PM.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 417

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Looks like the numbers on some Greek bayo's I have.
    Maybe it was repaired with Similar parts after it had been passed around some?
    Or , theirs another explanation, maybe I read something to the same somewhere before on Bayo points web page maybe.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    After some more research I have learned it was a USGI M1905 produced by Springfield Armory in 1918, at some point it was cut down to 10" (in this case by American Fork and Hoe based on markings) and it become a M1 in use with the US Military.

At some point AFTER WWII it ended up in Greece as part of military aid and the serialized it with their own number.

I also learned that the CMP sold a lot of these in this condition back in the day.

This one is still packed in cosmoline.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    After some more research I have learned it was a USGI M1905 produced by Springfield Armory in 1918, at some point it was cut down to 10" (in this case by American Fork and Hoe based on markings) and it become a M1 in use with the US Military.

At some point AFTER WWII it ended up in Greece as part of military aid and the serialized it with their own number.

I also learned that the CMP sold a lot of these in this condition back in the day.

This one is still packed in cosmoline.

American Fork and Hoe.... What a great new name for the Biden Administration.

Fork Joe Biden and the Ho!

M1842

Jul 27, 2009
    I have a full length (16") m1905 dated 1906 that I got from CMP when they had all of the Greek returned rifles and bayonets. Mine still has the wood handle on it. But has a latter sheath.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I have a full length (16") m1905 dated 1906 that I got from CMP when they had all of the Greek returned rifles and bayonets. Mine still has the wood handle on it. But has a latter sheath.

Very cool. The last SA M1905 dated 1906 (first year of production with a three digit serial number) I saw for sale was $1750.00! It was in mint condition with original scabbard. I'd love to have one but that's a little steep.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois

I just found and bought a 1918 full length, unmodified, Rock Island Armory M1905 with original wood grips and a fairly rare Detroit Gasket Company M3 scabbard at a decent price. Anxious for it to show up.

M1842

Jul 27, 2009
    Very cool. The last SA M1905 dated 1906 (first year of production with a three digit serial number) I saw for sale was $1750.00! It was in mint condition with original scabbard. I'd love to have one but that's a little steep.

The original sheath is probably worth more than the bayonet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom