• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c-03003

Sep 6, 2011
    Fort Washington, MD
    A friend of mine wants to purchase a Ruger Mini-14 ranch rifle at Walmart due to the following reasons:

1) He has $300 worth of gift cards that he can use towards the purchase.
    2) Price is lower at Walmart than his local gun store.

I couldn't find any reason to dissuade him from doing so since he would be saving a lot of money just by using the gift cards. The only thing I can think of is the "ongoing" issues/comments posted on the internet regarding Walmart selling lower quality firearms than their similar counterparts being sold at gun specific stores.

I don't have any experience with Walmart firearms nor know anyone that has bought a firearm from them.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    When I wanted a 10/22 I was recommended to Wally World by a bunch of members who will be by shortly I'm sure. Pretty painless purchase and a good price. Not sure that they sell enough guns for Ruger to actually manufacture a Walmart-only edition with different quality characteristics.

The only down side I've heard is that many stores record ammo purchases so that's kinda big brother but no issues with their arms. Volume usually means lower prices.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I bought a Mossberg 702 Plinkster from Walmart last year.

No problems with the purchase. Took a while to find a manager to sign off on the purchase and verify the paperwork was all in order, but nothing bad.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I can't see Ruger putting their reputation on the line to sell a lower grade gun to Walmart. Using the gift cards is like a $300 discount. I would go for it.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    See my sig. The Wal Mart price is because when Wal Mart orders from a manufacturer they order thousands at a time. I have yet to get a dud from Wal Mart(exept for certain brands of bulk 22). about half of my firearms have come from Wal Mart or Dicks and many of my acessories come from Sportsmans Guide. There are times where you only get what you pay for but sometimes you can get an amazing value.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    $300 off a mini-14........DUH

Attachments

• icon-doit-128.jpg
      icon-doit-128.jpg
      3.2 KB · Views: 527

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    No problems with the purchase. Took a while to find a manager to sign off on the purchase and verify the paperwork was all in order, but nothing bad.
    Yep. Got a cheap 870 from them once upon a time, and other than waiting for the managers to get over there, it was a smooth process.

Sometimes manufacturers will have Walmart models that are a little different than what you'd normally see. This isn't always a bad thing; Beretta used to have an inexpensive semi-auto shotgun there that people loved.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    If you buy a gun from them, there better be no "we're really busy" delays relative to your BATF paperwork or you'll be screwed. Wally World held onto a paid-for Ruger M77 stainless in 30-06 for over three months in Westminster because they did not receive a "please proceed with transfer" message despite my weekly protests until I finally just got my money back in frustration and purchased the exact same gun from Dicks in Hagerstown three days later. The store manager apologized and said Walmart Company Policy requires that they wait for a "proceed with transfer" message instead of the lack of a "don't proceed" message like everyone else does from the supposed instant check system.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Walmart gets the same quality of firearms as everyone else from a manufacturer.

But, they DO have Walmart only models, at least in the Marlin model 60's anyway. They have been that way for a few years now, there are (were) certain stock configurations that were ONLY sold new at Walmart.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    i bought my first shotgun (870) from them around 1993...still shoots great! Most of the time you cant beat the prices they have on rifles and shotguns such as the 870 and remington 700's...I have a .270 Is a bad ass shooter for a "deer gun" from walmart.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say go to a local shop. For one, you will get far better service at a gun shop. Good luck getting good answers to any questions you have at Walmart, and don't even think of going back there if something should happen to break.

Two, I am a big fan of keeping money local when I can. I would rather buy from a local business man then feed the giant made in china corporation.

Three, I just don't like Walmart that much. Yes they are convenient and good for some things, but in general I'm not a fan of all their business practices. Or the cleanliness of their stores, or how some of their employees act and dress.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say go to a local shop. For one, you will get far better service at a gun shop. Good luck getting good answers to any questions you have at Walmart, and don't even think of going back there if something should happen to break.

Two, I am a big fan of keeping money local when I can. I would rather buy from a local business man then feed the giant made in china corporation.

Three, I just don't like Walmart that much. Yes they are convenient and good for some things, but in general I'm not a fan of all their business practices. Or the cleanliness of their stores, or how some of their employees act and dress.

would agree if no gift card is involved..

op: bought couple firearms from walmart.. have not had issues..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom