• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Lets say I have 500 Bullets ( projectiles, not cartridges) from Fred's ammo shack. I also have been bequeathed 500 of the same caliber and weight bullet by my Father in law, who is recently deceased. However, his will required me to take half and give the other half to my worthless sister's cousin Janine

How will go about determining which projectile will be more accurate at long range? How would I determine whether to give 250 from FIL or my stash? should I look at:

consistent length/diameter/profile?
    coinsistent weight"
    something else?

I cannot shoot them to test, because the will states I must forward within 24 hrs.

BTW, my FIl is still alive and I don't have any worthless relatives whatsoever. I'm just trying to be entertaining while gathering technical information.

Last edited:

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Ballistic coefficient

In ballistics, the ballistic coefficient (BC) of a body is a measure of its ability to overcome air resistance in flight. It is inversely proportional to the negative acceleration — a high number indicates a low negative acceleration.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    What would your father in law want you to do given this sticky widget? ... yeah we know what he wrote but what might he have intended, wanted everyone to be included vs who would most appreciate any given item. Sorry for your loss.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    In my own testing, I certainly have determined that projectile quality/consistency is a key indicator of accuracy.

I have gone as far as to weigh and load different lots based on their weight and found that this was somewhat less important. Weighing 500 77 SMKs gave a nice distribution around 77, but the variation in accuracy between the 77s I loaded and the 77.8s for example was negligible.

I think the concentricity of the core and jacket is important among other factors, but of course that would require destructive testing.

The differences between brands is more important. Xtreme bullets versus Blitzkings for example. A 55grain Blitzking (24 cents) is crazy accurate versus the 10 cent Extreme bullet. There ain't no free lunch.

All this assumes careful trickle charged powder and consistent cases etc.

To answer your question, use a reference load from your bullet stash of known quality and the same weight as the bequeathed bullets, match the load with some Fred's bullets, and see how you do. I have also done groups of loads marked on the bottom of the box so that I wasn't biased during the shoot.

A couple of my reference loads (work up to these if you decide to use them)

Match Rifle: 77 grain SMK 24.0 Varget CCi primer
    Carbine 1:8 55 Grain Blitzking 24.7 ARCOMP CCi primer
    Garand : 168 SMK 46.0 4895 CCi primer
    Springfield: 155 SMK 46.0 4895

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I would look at the unit cost of said projectiles. If you're talking about 10-20 cent bullets, and you only have 500 of them, you're talking about $25-$50 worth of bullets. Probably not worth your time and effort other than to be able to say that your worthless cousin's ex-sister got the maybe crap bullets she deserved. Having sufficient quantity could be your factor to decide it is worth your time to determine. If, on the other hand, you're talking about projectiles that go for $1-$2 per unit, it becomes a bit more interesting and easier to decide the endeavor with only 500.

So, your takeaway from this post should be: consider the total value of said projectiles first. If the value is worth your time and effort, get out your scales, calipers, micrometers, and whatever else folks here recommend. I, on the other hand, would simply keep the kind that I've shot before (or bought myself) and give the other stuff away.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Assuming a relatively equal lot of 1000 bullets(500 from your purchase, 500 bequeathed), I. E. They are all LRN, or JHP, or FMJ or TMK or LMNOP....(I made that last one up, my we do love us some acronyms)

Then just give him 250 of whichever you choose. Because at that point the bullet matters less than how it will be used

DoctorBob

Jul 12, 2011
    Glen Arm
    The answer is easy, pick a 500 lot at random and send it. The most accurate bullet
    for you is determined by empirical testing. If you want to (or can) determine any
    differences you can check for consistency in ogives within a 500 lot of bullets, or
    measure to .0001" for consistency in diameter. In the end, there is no way to
    discover any accuracy differences except by load testing, in a proven accurate
    rifle, using a proper bench rest technique, use of wind flags, maintaining
    proper mental focus, keeping records - hopefully, from a statistically large
    population sample of groups. Tough row to hoe in 24 hours, so ...pick one lot to
    keep and Fed Ex the other. Dr. Bob

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    OK, here's the real story;

I've been reloading for about 10 years, all handgun calibers. For me handgun accuracy is less important than whether the round will function reliably in all my firearms. I have very recently entered the world of long range rifle shooting. Had some startup accuracy challenges with the hardware which Speed3 was kind enough to help me sort out with a range day last week. The hardware is fine. I want to begin the process of reloading highly accurate ammo for MY rifle. towards that end, I'd like to self asses the supply of bullets I have in hand to see whether they are sufficient or should be relegated to loads for 30-06/M1. I don't mind spending $$ if I'm getting value. I get really annoyed spending extra $$$ for a name that doesn't equate to more accuracy/better quality. Hence the request for a method of assessing the bullets.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Easy.

Match bullets shoot better at long range than non-match bullets.

Heavier bullets tend to have a better BC, more better for long range. However, heavier bullets have lower MV at the same round, which is less better.

Some bullets are better than others. Like the 175 grain .308 Sierra Match King versus the 168 grain SMK for longer ranges.

Pick the gooder ones, and give the others away, or use for other purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom