• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    As part of the Firearms Safety Act of 2013, a person must possess a valid handgun qualification license before they may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun. MD PUBLIC SAFETY § 5-117.1(c)(1). This is a general requirement subject to certain exceptions. If you, or your transaction, do not fall within an exception, a transferee must possess an HQL.

The Maryland State Police shall issue a handgun qualification license to a person who:
    (1) is at least 21 years old; (2) is a resident of the State; (3) except as provided in subsection (e) of this section, has demonstrated satisfactory completion, within 3 years prior to the submission of the application, of a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary that includes:
    (i) a minimum of 4 hours of instruction by a qualified handgun instructor;
    (ii) classroom instruction on: 1. State firearm law; 2. home firearm safety; and 3. handgun mechanisms and operation; and
    (iii) a firearms orientation component that demonstrates the person’s
    safe operation and handling of a firearm; and
    (4) based on an investigation, is not prohibited by federal or State law from purchasing or possessing a handgun.

MD PUBLIC SAFETY § 5-117.1(e), in listing exceptions to the training requirements, provides that:

An applicant for a handgun qualification license is not required to complete a firearms safety training course under subsection (d) of this section if the applicant: (2) has completed a course of instruction in competency and safety in the handling of firearms prescribed by the Department of Natural Resources under § 10-301.1 of the Natural Resources Article.

Md. Nat. Res. Code Ann. § 10-301.1(c)(3) further provides that:

Any similar certificate, or hunting license, issued outside the State by a governmental agency, shall be accepted as complying with the requirements of paragraph (1) of this subsection, if the privileges are reciprocal for Maryland residents.

The State of Texas offers and accepts a completely online Hunter's Safety course, which consists of online videos and quizzes. This online course costs between $18 and $30, depending on the online vendor used. I have personally completed the online TX Hunter's safety course, and furnished proof of completion to the Maryland State Police for my "Training Exempt" HQL application. I also submitted a letter with my certificate stating that I have attached a copy of a Hunter’s Safety Course offered by and accepted by the State of Texas, which reciprocally accepts Maryland’s Hunter Education course, and that such proof is sufficient to exempt myself from the Handgun Qualification License training requirement, citing the codes above.

My training exempt application for the HQL has been approved, based solely on the online Texas Hunter's Safety Certificate that I printed out after the test (I used the temporary, not the permanent card I got in the mail 5 days later.)

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I would like to add that, in my opinion, training with your firearm is important, if not essential. I do, however, have an issue with government mandated training, especially when we are talking about simply purchasing a firearm.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I wish I'd known about this before (having learned how to shoot some 45 years ago) I spent time/money to take a basic pistol course to prove to some nitwit in Annapolis that I'm qualified to own a new pistol. Obviously, the same type of "logic" that forces little old ladies to be treated like Muslim terrorists when boarding a plane.

But, worse still, the pistol course and HQL processing just delayed my initiation into Maryland's matriarchal, seven [business] day time-out before the bad little boy can have his gun back. Just swell.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

There appears to be some discussion in that thread about the HQL. Some people thought the TX class would work, some people thought it would not satisfy the requirements, and some thought the MSP may deny. I decided to apply using the online course to see what MSP would do with that information, and was happily surprised I did not have to challenge their denial.

I also got to write it off as a business expense, so that's cool :innocent0.

The MSP is also incorrectly telling people they have to have taken the Hunter's Safety course within three years of their HQL application (the online HQL application states this.) The three year requirement is for persons who took training, not persons who took an exemption to the training.

This is the training exemption, nothing about the three years.
    (e) An applicant for a handgun qualification license is not required to complete a firearms safety training course under subsection (d) of this section if the applicant: (2) has completed a course of instruction in competency and safety in the handling of firearms prescribed by the Department of Natural Resources under § 10–301.1 of the Natural Resources Article;

This is the TRAINING section. The TRAINING has to be completed within 3 years, not an EXEMPTION to the training.
    (3) except as provided in subsection (e) of this section, has demonstrated satisfactory completion, within 3 years prior to the submission of the application, of a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary that includes:

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Nate you are a jem to the MDS Community.

1.54184_image.jpeg

:lol2:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The MSP is also incorrectly telling people they have to have taken the Hunter's Safety course within three years of their HQL application (the online HQL application states this.) The three year requirement is for persons who took training, not persons who took an exemption to the training.

:nono: MSP is never wrong

:rolleyes:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Just so I have this squared away in my head...

I purchased a pistol prior to 10/13.

I can take this Texas online course, then just submit fingerprints and the fee and get my HQL?

If you purchased a regulated firearm and were "Not Disapproved" in the State of MD, you do not need to take the training. You will need the make and S/N etc of that firearm when you fill out the app. You are exempt from training requirement.
    You do not need to take any training class.
    I am not a lawyer.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Just so I have this squared away in my head...

I purchased a pistol prior to 10/13.

I can take this Texas online course, then just submit fingerprints and the fee and get my HQL?

Yes. You could use your handgun information as an exemption instead of the online class also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom