• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Just picked up my Henry Big Boy X Model in 44 mag. I wanted a 44 mag Henry for a while. I have more bolt guns and AR’s of every description. No lever gun. So I was thinking about this for the last two months, researched, looked, researched some more and finally decided on the X Model. Very happy with fit and finish, action is like butter, trigger a 4.5 lbs rips pull. Get it to the range soon. Can’t wait
    aa2a4f63545523e8509eb10dc928790a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Yep a tactical lever gun. Really sick. Already got the brass, powder and bullets to load for her. Got 100 each of Hornady XTP’s , 240 gr and 300 gr. Winchester 296 powder. Thinking 1,775 FPS from the 240’s. About 1590 or so from the 300 gr bullets.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    I've got the Golden boy .44 mag rifle. It's an amazingly accurate rifle. Broke the tang on the tube mag a few times due to the recoil and the firing pin twice. But this was after thousands of rounds through it.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    You SOB :thumbsup:

.38/357 is on my buy list :) Two local shops I go through cannot provide an ETA on them :(

Lever guns are a just fun and different, Henry puts out a nice product and with some use that lever action will burnish itself and get really smooth.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I tracked mine down on guns America. They have sold out just about every one made. Found this one out in Colorado.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    My buddy had a 44 mag Big Boy shot a couple time at the range. I was hooked. What a thumper.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    adb0bb327fb8edd2a9fb445ea36116f3.jpg

Well did some hand loading over the last couple of days ran some ladders on some 243 gr cast flat nose ( plinking AMMO). Then sone 240 gr and 300 gr XTP’s. Put a Picatinny scope Mount and place a Vortex Venom Red dot. The cast for plonking ran 9.0 to 9.5 gr. Of 700 X not a max velocity round I’m guessing around 1,450 FPS out of the 17.5” barrel. The XTP’s are both using Winchester 296. 240’s 23.5 gr to 24 gr. 300’s 20.5 gr to 21 gr. Looking like I should get 1740 or so from the 240’s and Round 1,525 or so from the 300’s

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Thats nice, never been a fan of the tacticool lever guns but that one may be an exception.

Does the front of the tube pop out so you can tube or side load it? Thats a handy feature. Load with the tube on Sunday shoot all day (metaphorically) and reload from the gate while on the shoulder.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Thats nice, never been a fan of the tacticool lever guns but that one may be an exception.

Does the front of the tube pop out so you can tube or side load it? Thats a handy feature. Load with the tube on Sunday shoot all day (metaphorically) and reload from the gate while on the shoulder.

It is a side gate and tube feed. So you can load at will depending on what situation works for you. If you put a silencer on the barrel you may have side gate only depending on you dimensions.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    It is a side gate and tube feed. So you can load at will depending on what situation works for you. If you put a silencer on the barrel you may have side gate only depending on you dimensions.

My Rossi .454 is like that very handy feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom