• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The last batch I opened had bullets that wobbled in the cases, and a few actual duds that wouldn't fire in anything. I'll use these up in revolvers, then switch to Automatch or Aguila.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Never had any real issues with thunderbolts here either other than they can be spotty consistancy/accuracy wise.
    All kinds of issues with Federal Automatch and Champion though.. lots of fail to fires (with good solid firing pin marks on them) and lots of stove-piping/failure to extracts. (on my various 10/22's, American Rimfire, Henry H001 Lever, and Marlin 60)

My favorites (and my rifles too lol) so far are Browning BPR, they eat them up and are really accurate. Also have had good luck with Winchester white box "333"/"555"/other sizes overall though others I have talked to generally dont do so well with them.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Some of my guns like the Thunderbolt. Swore it off may years back be ause of gross inconsistencies. During the panic I needed practice ammo and I found a box cheap. It worked! It also is reliable in my two Ruger 25 round BX 10/22 mags which choke on Mini Mags.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    My experience with them has been the classic "Thunderduds".

I found no reason to keep using them. Federal Automatch is cheap enough.

I have found that Rem Goldens have a slightly better reliability rate, however, they too produce a fair number of duds and mis-feeds. Could be related to them being hollow points.

During the ammo scares, all I could find was Rem Goldens, so I still have a fair stock of them. Working it down now however into the Automatch. They work much more consistently.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    For what it’s worth, I stopped using all Remington .22 ammunition a while back. I was issued the “target” match or what ever it was called and it came in green and blue boxes. Hang-fires, duds, you name it, this stuff did everything but hit the target. I ended up giving it to a Boy Scout troop that was going to be shooting at the range. Every Scout got a box of Winchester T22 and some of the Remington stuff. They shot the Remington first so they would understand about issues with their ammunition and how to deal with them.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Had the most duds with Thunderbolts. CCI fires reliably every time. Automatch works like CCIs but costs less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom