• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roworld

Jan 12, 2020
    Good morning all Im new to the group. Im in search of a budget friendly ar9 lower. Can anyone recommend where iI can get one.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    what mag pattern do you want?

aero precision hinted at a 9mm AR on their facebook page, i might wait for one of those.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I have been told that Hanover Armory makes some lowers in state and are located near BWI. But I have never been there so I cannot comment on quality or availability. Has anyone here used their products?

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016

I cannot vouch for the quality and I don't know what budget means to you but after some quick web searching I found https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Sp...ine-Compatible-Billet-Lower-p/jb-spartan9.htm

I have never used that lower and can't vouch for it but joebob's is legitimate and I recommend their webstore.

Palmetto State Armory is mostly sold out but I know they make them. Sometimes you get what you pay for though.

I am not sure who has any stocked in store in the state but factoring in the transfer fee and shipping you may be able to do better. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I have been told that Hanover Armory makes some lowers in state and are located near BWI. But I have never been there so I cannot comment on quality or availability. Has anyone here used their products?

Prices are competitive, quality is good. You can build it or they will build it for you. I bought one pre built. The only thing I added besides a red dot was a Taccom feed damp since It uses Glock mags.

Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville

I bought one of these. Glock lower. I bought it a while ago and don’t remember the exact price but it was sub $100. And it seems like a quality lower. Just haven’t gotten around to building it yet so I can’t speak much for it yet. Great shop though for all things AR related. Nice group there too, very willing to help and answer any and all questions

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    QC10 is really the standard others judge against.

That said, if I wanted a new AR9 today, it'd be a CMMG Guard with the RDB operating system.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    CMMG's delayed blowback is good. Foxtrot Mike has the best last round bolt hold open mechanism

Jroc

Nov 26, 2019
    White Marsh
    Blue Fins can help. They had a complete AR-9 build when I was there Saturday and will do just a lower if you’d prefer. And Hanover Armory seemed to have some nice AR’s when I checked their table out at the Timonium show and they confirmed they will build a lower only for a fair price.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I like the FM products billet lower, have run mine with FM, QC10 and Palmetto uppers, and runs like a champ. Really similar to the Primary weapons system design, so the LRBHO is in the lower and works very well, bolt stop is a reinforced part, so less chance of breakage, mag release is oversized, and matches up well to their uppers, or mil-spec uppers, and they are relatively cheap. Most others either don't have a LRBHO, one that doesn't work reliably, or one that requires a really light bolt stop spring that can cause it to lock open randomly.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I like the FM products billet lower, have run mine with FM, QC10 and Palmetto uppers, and runs like a champ. Really similar to the Primary weapons system design, so the LRBHO is in the lower and works very well, bolt stop is a reinforced part, so less chance of breakage, mag release is oversized, and matches up well to their uppers, or mil-spec uppers, and they are relatively cheap. Most others either don't have a LRBHO, one that doesn't work reliably, or one that requires a really light bolt stop spring that can cause it to lock open randomly.
    Truth. FM9 would be my first stop for a blowback upper/rifle at this point. They are not expensive and they work well. Foxtrot Mike is one of PWS's sub-brands like Bootleg, and PWS does not put out bad product as a rule.

I know PSA is TEMPTING because they're cheap, but I had to replace their BCG _and_ their barrel due to functionality issues. (BCG = too much ejector play and shitty extractor, barrel = throat too tight). Now, I really do like my new FM9 BCG and JP barrel, but that was a lot of money to pay for something that could have worked right out of the box.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Truth. FM9 would be my first stop for a blowback upper/rifle at this point. They are not expensive and they work well. Foxtrot Mike is one of PWS's sub-brands like Bootleg, and PWS does not put out bad product as a rule.

I know PSA is TEMPTING because they're cheap, but I had to replace their BCG _and_ their barrel due to functionality issues. (BCG = too much ejector play and shitty extractor, barrel = throat too tight). Now, I really do like my new FM9 BCG and JP barrel, but that was a lot of money to pay for something that could have worked right out of the box.

The owner is pretty cool, and REALLY responsive too, can also find lowers, uppers, and complete pistols and rifles in various configurations on sale often. I'm eyeballing a CMMG delayed blowback BCG/barrel, really interested in the upcoming Aero precision 9mm lower, but might just build the upper, then try it out with the few lowers I have or just build another FM9 lower.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I would not waste my time trying to get the CMMG Guard parts working on random Glock lowers. Either buy the rifle/pistol, or buy the upper and then run it with Endomags on a standard lower (which is what I will probably wind up doing if I ever decide to shoot PCC seriously). I would love it if they had a version of the upper that would reliably work on QC10-style lowers, but it's so hit and miss right now with them.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    For the 3+ years I have been shooting PCC I have used a Runner-Runner Guns lower. Very similar to a QC10 except the pin placement for the mag release. A good judge of a lower is whether other parties make parts for it. Odin Works makes parts for both of those lowers. RRG has closed its doors but QC10 is still around. RRG was considered a New Frontier Armory style lower. I assume there maybe others. I use 2 uppers with mine. One is a side-charging Spartan upper and the other is a random AR upper I had, likely an Aero-Precision. Never had mag issues except with ETS mags which are POS in my opinion although they worked fine for a year. Glock mags have never failed even with extensions, up to the Taccom +25 extension.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    If you get one be prepared to go through a lot of ammo. They are fun to shoot and those 32 round mags keep it coming. I've just got the PSA upper and the insert they used to sell and it has run 100%. Heavy buffer and AR10 spring works great. Id still like to have that Ruger PCC but this one scratches the itch. If I ever do another I'd probably try those Endomags that erwos suggested.

Last edited:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Since it was done to make them feed smoothly I kept at it until I could no longer feel any raised portion at the foot of the mag where the basepads go. I had originally bought one of their 1st Gen extended mags a year or 2 before that used a reversed 17 rd. mag as the extension and decided after looking at it that I was not going to do that. So up until the Gen 2 extension came out I used 2 31 rd mags. I bought 3 Glock 31s and 2 ETS 30s. I put +3 Arredondo basepads on the ETS mags so each would carry 33 rd. if needed but the ETS mags only lasted a year before the tube started bulging and they stopped feeding reliably. I have felt confident enough recently to sell one of my 2 remaining 31s to a friend who got his first PCC. With the 31+25 rounder I have never had to fill it to capacity except to break it in and I have never ran out of ammo in a stage even a PNTC Super Steel Match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom