• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    A coworker of mine has a Century FAL that he has offered up for sale. He listed a few quirks with it.....

After 2-3 rounds, it stovepipes during extraction
    Doesn't like feeding properly, edge of cartridge gets caught on part of receiver
    Sometimes issues with the gas block

It includes 6 mags.
    Plastic furniture
    Grooved carry handle

How big of a can of works am I looking at.
    Any certain things to look for?

Any help would be appreciated

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Could be a simple fix, could be a bad upper or barrel. Hard to say without seeing it. Best bet is to tear it down and clean it thoroughly, then replace all the springs. Lube with 40W Syn Motor Oil and then get some new mags.

Some guns just ahave a poor seal on the gas tube, some have rough cambers.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I think your best option is to pass and let me buy it for 300 bucks.......you don't want that headache!!! :)

olddawg

Feb 3, 2011
    Harford County
    Replacement parts are plentiful and relatively cheap. I'd buy it if its a good deal. I have a century unibrow as my beater FAL and it runs like a top.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    I have one of the Century FAL's from 1995 or so, originally a Canadian C5 or whatever they called it up there, works well enough but it's a bit clumsy to shoot, partly as a result of the design and partly due to the Bell and Carlson thumbhole stock. I've never had any problems with it other than shooting lead bullets and jamming the gas tube with lead, but that was easy enough to fix.

That list of problems you posted is pretty disconcerting, especially since there are not one, not two, but three different concerns and none appear to be related. What exactly is the gas block problem? The stovepiping could just be a matter of adjusting the gas regulator. The feeding problem you might be able to fix easily, but it sounds as if that gun just wasn't put together well.

You can get a Century for around 600, I think, probably less for a used one, so if you're paying 200 or maybe 300 for that one it might be worth taking a chance on being able to fix it. If it's any more than that, I'd rather take my chances on buying a new one.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Whose Century build?
    Century used a lot of mix 'n match parts that changed constantly so to give you an accurate answer you'd need more info on the exact parts involved in the construction.

There were (at least) 3 receivers used in the CAI FALs, the Imbel (non gear-logo) is an excellent one & works well. The later "unibrow", or "Widows peak" receivers varied a lot from pretty darn good to a horror story. Can you copy any markings from the receiver for us to check as that would tell us which version you're looking at?

Stovepiping sounds like a gas adjustment problem, fairly easy to fix, but the jamming sounds like a receiver issue which is harder to fix. It might be a symptom of the "unibrow" type receiver. It might just be a normal aspect of the cycling as well FALs tend to ding up case mouths during ejection. If this is what you're seeing it's an easy fix & in fact related to the stovepipe gas problems.

What EXACTLY is the gas block problem? That could be the most serious problem & hardest to fix depending on what it is.

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    He had mentioned that sometimes the gun wouldn't cycle all the way, i.e. short stroking, he found that by fiddling with the gas block, it would work for a few more shots. It sounds like he doesn't really know alot about these, and doesn't care to learn. I'll try and get him to send me some pics

Thanks so far guys

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Based on that it might be as simple as a missing or loose cross pin (roll pin) that can be made from an old coat hanger for under $0.01, it depends on what exactly the "fiddling" is. Maybe the gas is set wrong, this seems to confuse a lot of FAL newbies as its actually the opposite of instinctive use.

Also check the gas piston. It should be 100% unbent & CAI guns were (in)famous for having some the curved, bent or twisted causing all sorts of problems. That's an easy fix swap it out for $25~35 with no tools needed.

There's also the possibility that the butt stock spring tube is full of oil, grease or just plain crud that could cause problems & who'd think to look in the butt stock for a problem with the gas tube?

Luigi

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2010
    Is this the same guy who tried to sell the FAL on here yesterday? If it is, he didn't mention he was having issues with it when he tried to sell it on here...:innocent0

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Is this the same guy who tried to sell the FAL on here yesterday? If it is, he didn't mention he was having issues with it when he tried to sell it on here...:innocent0

I thought that guy mentioned it was an Entreprise Arms rifle, not Century.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah and thankfully I ended up buying that gun today!!! Glad I stalked these pages before the lock and delete hahaha. Scott seems like a good guy!

olddawg

Feb 3, 2011
    Harford County
    There's also the possibility that the butt stock spring tube is full of oil, grease or just plain crud that could cause problems & who'd think to look in the butt stock for a problem with the gas tube?[/QUOTE]

Good call. I thought of the spring also. I'd try to hook up with someone that has an FAL. You could swap lowers and then the gas pistons to see if that clears up the problems. Cheap way to troubleshoot the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom