• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I'm looking to get back into dirt bikes as well- watching this thread with popcorn in hand while looking at the new 701 Husqvarnas...

since you say you're getting 'back' into dirt biking you prolly know what you're getting into. but generally for a beginner, big and heavy (ie 701 husky) isn't the best choice for an actual dirt bike on trails. a 250 four stroke is pretty ideal (eg, honda crf250x, ktm 250xcf or xcwf [husky has a similar version], etc).

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Yeah but the 690/701 is plated which is important for some rides. The newer 690s are ~350# wet (Husky should be ~5# more due to linkage.) About 30# more than a DRZ. I too have been tempted by the 2019+ 690R but I just can't seem to find a use for it. I can put miles on my 500exc esp. now that I have a Seat Concepts "comfort XL tall" for it. The 500 is literally 100# less which is appreciated every time I have to pick it up;)

Inka

Apr 25, 2010
    since you say you're getting 'back' into dirt biking you prolly know what you're getting into. but generally for a beginner, big and heavy (ie 701 husky) isn't the best choice for an actual dirt bike on trails. a 250 four stroke is pretty ideal (eg, honda crf250x, ktm 250xcf or xcwf [husky has a similar version], etc).

I hear you Davsco, I'm debating that myself. Truth is, if I get another bike, I will need it to be decent on the highway, carry a passenger for short hops, and be suitable for some Adventure(TM) type riding. The weight will be an issue on tight single track that's for sure. The new Kawasaki KLX300R sure does look tempting though...

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the real issue, for me, with the 690/701 and hell almost every dirt bike out there, is the friggin seat heights. 37, 38" etc i mean c'mon man. the honda's generally are slightly lower. zero problem when riding, but when coming to a stop at an off camber trailhead if i don't pick a good spot, it's the big ugly stationary tipover! been eying beta, they have a 2" lowering kit you can get with their bikes, of course $600. i got a lower/softer aftermarket seat with the drz400 and the seat height is manageable.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I hear you Davsco, I'm debating that myself. Truth is, if I get another bike, I will need it to be decent on the highway, carry a passenger for short hops, and be suitable for some Adventure(TM) type riding. The weight will be an issue on tight single track that's for sure. The new Kawasaki KLX300R sure does look tempting though...

The 701 is awesome, it's heavy by dirtbike standards, but the power, suspension and chassis geometry hides it well. Didn't get to go on anything tougher than hopping curbs and roads on a demo unit, but it would be awesome as a 50/50 bike, a big upgrade in power and suspension over most mid-size DS bikes, like my CRF250L, the KLX, WR and DRZ, and is within 20# of them, and has a "road bike" maintnenence schedule. If you want a lighter/smaller DS, the CRF450, Husky FE and KTM EXC-F 250-450 bikes are basically < 300# enduros with turn signals, mirrors, and DOT tires, lots of power, rude onroad, short maintenence intervals, but you don't give up much to their non- plated counterparts offorad.

Inka

Apr 25, 2010
    I sat on the 701LR at the dealer, and it is TALL, but settles ok once sitting on it. I'm 6 feet tall and not on tip toes. Off camber situations likely a different story...

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    And here I am putting aftermarket tall seats on my KTMs. That along w/ very slightly lowered Fastway footpegs allows me to sit/stand a zillion times w/o fatigue. The simple fact is is you want big ground clearance and a low seat you end up w/ superbike levels of knee bend. I'll take the tall seat, comfortable ergos, and falling over once in a while. No matter how low the seat is, you'll eventually put your foot in a hole/rut (even on the easy stuff.) Roll w/ it ;)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_9bb.jpeg
      fullsizeoutput_9bb.jpeg
      101.5 KB · Views: 239

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    first of all, F_CK all you tall guys!!!!! if you're 6' and bitching about seat height, imagine my barely 5-7, barely 30" inseam self. it's never fun coming to a stop! and that foto looks like my buddy, cracked hip and helo ride, rocks don't give. hopefully you fared a lot better. i'll gladly give an inch or two of travel/clearance in exchange for not having to search for a high spot when stopping.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    first of all, F_CK all you tall guys!!!!! if you're 6' and bitching about seat height, imagine my barely 5-7, barely 30" inseam self. it's never fun coming to a stop! and that foto looks like my buddy, cracked hip and helo ride, rocks don't give. hopefully you fared a lot better. i'll gladly give an inch or two of travel/clearance in exchange for not having to search for a high spot when stopping.

I'm sure you know us tall guys have similar feeling towards all you short people :lol2:

I ride w/ a friend who might be about your height. He can ride his KTM 1090R 2-up and he can't touch the ground. He slides his butt way off the side when he stops. I've seen him ride his 501 from a stop and he mounts it like a horse on the go. Hes VERY good. Rarely falls. I sort of think its like the little kids on the 50s/80s at the mx track whose parents have to hold the bike at the start line. If you can't get back up on the bike by yourself if you fall, you learn not to fall so much?

I fared fine there (was trying to avoid hitting my head on that big rock.) I freakin' fell twice there in the easier stuff. I bail early and try to roll. Since I take my leg length for granted, I have a knack for sticking my foot in a hole I'm not looking for (giving credence to my theory that shorter people pay more attention.) I wear lots of armor but got a bone bruise on my hip riding the KAT this summer when I stupidly tried to ride across a very large sloped rock in the wet. Even w/ Leatt 3DF shorts I could use some more padding down there when we're goofing off in the rock sections. I also had a pretty epic bruise on my ass bouncing off a rock last year.

FWIW, KTM makes lowering kits for their bikes too. W/ no linkage in the rear suspension, the spacer has to go inside the shock. Similar how the travel limit spacer goes inside the fork in the front. Not like a DRZ/Husky/etc w/ linkage rear you can just swap a dogbone.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    And if you are short and want a fun dirt bike to ride technical stuff there are trials bikes w/ seats. Beta Evo Sport is one. I know a super short fellow w/ one. There are also the 7/8 sized bikes like the KTM FreeRide / Beta Xtrainer. Very good woods bikes.

And there are of course trials bikes. No one complains about tall seats on those:) They are a BLAST in the technical stuff even if you aren't Tony Bou.

ESP

Nov 21, 2012
    Maryland

You are asking a lot from one bike. I can't think of a single dirt/dual sport bike that will do 2 up decently at highway speeds. Like firearms, you are going to need more than one to cover your specs.

The new 300/350 dual sport bikes will likely be fine off road and OK on secondary blacktop.

A 200-300cc 2 stroke for serious east coast single track.

The Husky 610/630 or KTM 690, as mentioned would be much better for 2 up and highway speeds. I took a Husky 610, with 50 pds of gear, cross country on the Trans America Trail. This is close to 5000 miles, mostly off road. So they are a good choice, but heavy for the tight single track around here.

The DRZ and KLR are proven inexpensive steeds, but are definitely on the porky side.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Mountain Ridge ATV, is not near Bedford, but that is the likely location to get on US 30 west to get to Lees Corner, which is fairly close.

I ride Famous Reading Outdoors weekly; get a day permit and join us one weekend.

Warning: it’s about 2.5-3 hour drive one way and the ready to ride time is typically 10am for my group. That requires a 5:20am get up and a 6:15 departure from Brunswick, MD.

However, it’s 20000 acre and I’m still finding new trails 5 years later.

Observe our idiocy here, here and here

Last edited:

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    I rode a lot up until 10-12 years ago. I just got tired of driving hours every time I wanted to ride. I still have dirt bikes, but don't do much with them these days. Around 10-12 years ago I got interested in observed trials. The small amount of woods that I have access to at home are enough for years of trials riding. I was good about riding at home for a couple of years and then got into competing. In the blink of an eye I was driving hours to events which was exactly what I started out tying to avoid. Had a lot of fun with that for about five years and noticed that chasing plastic trophies was starting to take the fun out of it. I went back to yard/local riding. Been so busy the last couple of years even that riding has suffered.

I'm not much help. Sorry. :)

For fun, a pic from a great ride in Northern California a few years back.

Attachments

• norcalride.jpg
      norcalride.jpg
      54 KB · Views: 227

Inka

Apr 25, 2010
    I rode a lot up until 10-12 years ago. I just got tired of driving hours every time I wanted to ride. I still have dirt bikes, but don't do much with them these days. Around 10-12 years ago I got interested in observed trials. The small amount of woods that I have access to at home are enough for years of trials riding. I was good about riding at home for a couple of years and then got into competing. In the blink of an eye I was driving hours to events which was exactly what I started out tying to avoid. Had a lot of fun with that for about five years and noticed that chasing plastic trophies was starting to take the fun out of it. I went back to yard/local riding. Been so busy the last couple of years even that riding has suffered.

I'm not much help. Sorry. :)

For fun, a pic from a great ride in Northern California a few years back.

Great pic!! I miss the West!

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    I think they have a one time day pass.

The cost of that can be applied to an annual permit there after...

Yep, they do have a one time trial pass

Bad news: you need to go to Pottsville to get it.

Unknown if they would mail it to you.

The Dirty Santa Trail Ride was just a few weeks back. It’s a great way to sample the property before deciding to get a permit or not...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom