• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Does anyone know of any Steel Challenge matches on the Eastern Shore that are new guy friendly?

I'm in Queen Anne's County but something in Kent, Talbot, or Caroline County are fine as well. I'm looking for some place to try Steel Challenge that doesn't require joining a club and is on this side of the bay. If I get hooked on it I'd travel across the bridge as needed to compete.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    all the steel challenge matches are super newbie friendly.

https://practiscore.com/clubs/eastern-shore-practical-shooters

i've shot uspsa here a handful of times, good club and nice people, they have a bunch of steel challenge matches lined up

Thanks for the link, they’re really close. I ended up spending the weekend getting acquainted with the steel challenge rules and the USPSA production list. It doesn’t look like I’ll make it to this months match, but looking forward to the next one.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Maybe. Not on my current schedule but the date is open. 3 official stages does not usually temp me to drive 2+ hours but anything is possible.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    How are the matches run and what is the course of fire? Is it like move and shoot, from field position(s) rested positions, optics, irons etc? I like shooting the steel targets at our club because it's fun but the targets aren't real small so I can still see them pretty well.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    steel challenge is shot standing, unsupported. most of the stages have zero movement, one has you moving from one box to the other.

each stage has five targets (circles or sq/rect plates). buzzer sounds and you shoot all five. your time is recorded, you top off your mag and then repeat 4 more times. then you go on to the next stage where the targets are arranged a little differently and do that stage. repeat a few more times.

wide option of divisions to include almost every gun out there, and can run iron sights or optics.

seriously, just bring what you have and go for it. every club i've been to will def work with a new shooter. just let them know you're new when you sign in, and then again at each stage.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    How are the matches run and what is the course of fire? Is it like move and shoot, from field position(s) rested positions, optics, irons etc? I like shooting the steel targets at our club because it's fun but the targets aren't real small so I can still see them pretty well.

Here's a link to the rules (pdf): https://uspsa.org/viewer/2019_SCSA_Rulebook.pdf

You don't have to memorize all the rules but this gives you an idea of the stages, the different divisions, and what to expect. YouTube has a lot of Steel Challenge videos which can give you an idea of what to expect.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Main things in the rules is remember all the safety rules and don't scare the RO. All centerfire guns except PCC require you to draw from a holster (from the surrender position wrists above shoulders). Some clubs (AGC is one) allow newbies to shoot from low ready with a time penalty. I don't know about ESPS. Use whatever holster you have but you might want to get one that either has no retention or one you can disable retention. Race holsters are allowed in Open and Limited but not in Production and Carry Optics. You will see both types in use there and its good to ask about anything you are not sure of. Only one stage has movement on the clock (Outer Limits) and that one is included this weekend. If you have any questions about the best way to shoot the stage just ask. Don't try to shoot faster than you can accurately hit the targets. Speed will come with more practice. Have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom