• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ClassicGun

Mar 31, 2018
    Hi there, first time post.

I have a Federal C&R FFL just came a couple of weeks ago. I'm trying to 'import' an old Luger.

Has anyone with a C&R in DC done this before? As I understand it, I just need to go down to headquarters and give them the safety training sheet (first time), evidence of eligibility and form PD-219?

According to the ATF there are only 21 C&R in D.C. and with me 22 :)

If anyone has done it please advise and many thanks.

ClassicGun

Mar 31, 2018
    Just as an update to my own post, hopefully helpful to others. So I went and received an old Artillery Luger via my 03 C&R FFL went down to MPD and registered it, pending background check. What you will need is:

1. Copy of your 03 FFL (make sure they know you have that)
    2. Form PD-219
    3. Certificate of Eligibility
    4. Certificate of having passed the online training course.
    5. Drivers license.

They finger printed me will run a background check (sort of superfluous since having an FFL implies the same) and I was out within an hour. Not too bad. They were sort of surprised I already had the pistol, but didn't object.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Just as an update to my own post, hopefully helpful to others. So I went and received an old Artillery Luger via my 03 C&R FFL went down to MPD and registered it, pending background check. What you will need is:

2. Form PD-219
    5. Drivers license.

They finger printed me will run a background check (sort of superfluous since having an FFL implies the same) and I was out within an hour. Not too bad. They were sort of surprised I already had the pistol, but didn't object.

Did you have to take the gun in and show it to them?

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    There is no longer any requirement to bring the gun with you to register in DC (C&R or otherwise).

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC

2. Form PD-219
    5. Drivers license.

Thanks for the info. Have been thinking of getting my C&R. So you don’t have to fill out the seller portion of the PD-219, and as an FFL licensee it is kosher with DC law to take possession before having the DC registration cert?

One other question. When you applied for FFL you hade to notify local LE, correct? Where did you mail the notification?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Thanks for the info. Have been thinking of getting my C&R. So you don’t have to fill out the seller portion of the PD-219, and as an FFL licensee it is kosher with DC law to take possession before having the DC registration cert?

One other question. When you applied for FFL you hade to notify local LE, correct? Where did you mail the notification?

How could you register a gun you don't have yet?

Not being a smart ass, just wondering what the alternative would be.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC

Similar to as when you buy a new gun as resident. You get the serial number from the LGS for long guns / Mr. Sykes for handguns, or in this case the other FFL, complete the PD-219, get the registration card, then take possession.

ClassicGun

Mar 31, 2018
    I had the shipping FFL fill out the sellers side and provide it with the gun. However, the officer there said that was not necessary. But... just to err on the side of caution, I had seller fill it in anyway and a copy of seller's FFL.

ClassicGun

Mar 31, 2018

- Seller part not necessary as 03 FFL holder, but I did it anyway.
    - Local LE is Peter Newsham, Chief of Police, MPD 300 Indiana. C&R took about 5 weeks.
    - I had possession and told them so, they didn't object. Officer actually said "that's a cool gun".

ClassicGun

Mar 31, 2018

I guess you could do it on paper, using just the serial # and characteristics before having it shipped to you.

I'm still under the waiting period for the background check, I will update the forum once I do some long guns and some old .45s. My guess is once they get used to seeing you, it goes by painlessly.

ClassicGun

Mar 31, 2018
    Except in your case you are the FFL, so it would be legal yes?

I did and they were told that's what I did, and they did not object. Obviously until it's registered, you can not use it or transport it out of your house. It's unclear how long you have to go down there and register it after taking possession. I went the next day to be safe.

mooko

Apr 1, 2019
    DC
    I guess you could do it on paper, using just the serial # and characteristics before having it shipped to you.

I'm still under the waiting period for the background check, I will update the forum once I do some long guns and some old .45s. My guess is once they get used to seeing you, it goes by painlessly.

As I just got my C&R, I was wondering if everything went OK with the Luger and any other curios/relics you got later.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    As I just got my C&R, I was wondering if everything went OK with the Luger and any other curios/relics you got later.

Not OP, but I have a DC C&R. Acting as your own FFL saves so much time, money, and aggravation.

The training and background procedures have changed since I completed mine, so I will not comment on that process. After you satisfy those requirements, C&R registration is straightforward.

To register a C&R firearm here is the process as (I understand):
    1. Order firearm online
    2. Wait for the firearm to arrive at your door
    3. Fill out Form PD-219. Do not fill out seller portion.
    4. Bring the PD-219 to registration
    5. C&R Licence
    6. Pay $13
    7. Done

The only problem I have had was attempting to register a Yugo Tokarev. The pistol is not specifically on the C&R list, so DC said "no go" because I could not prove to their satisfaction that it was eligible.

The List: https://www.atf.gov/file/128116/download

mooko

Apr 1, 2019
    DC
    Not OP, but I have a DC C&R. Acting as your own FFL saves so much time, money, and aggravation.

The training and background procedures have changed since I completed mine, so I will not comment on that process. After you satisfy those requirements, C&R registration is straightforward.

To register a C&R firearm here is the process as (I understand):
    1. Order firearm online
    2. Wait for the firearm to arrive at your door
    3. Fill out Form PD-219. Do not fill out seller portion.
    4. Bring the PD-219 to registration
    5. C&R Licence
    6. Pay $13
    7. Done

The only problem I have had was attempting to register a Yugo Tokarev. The pistol is not specifically on the C&R list, so DC said "no go" because I could not prove to their satisfaction that it was eligible.

The List: https://www.atf.gov/file/128116/download

Thanks, BlueHeeler. That's great news. I was a bit concerned that the DC rules on taking possession AFTER registration might not exempt 03 FFLs.

I guess we still have to contend with many C&R vendors not shipping to DC.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I see we have gone from just a couple of C&R last time I looked a few years back, to 23 licences so far for 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom