• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Planning on visiting Ocean city next year with my wife for the first time in probably 10 years now, Was wondering what has changed down there, whats the best time to go, and how can i find a nice, Not super expensive place to rent, condo or hotel?

I'd like to go when everything is still open, but avoid a lot of the tourists, which I am guessing is more of a weekend thing, during mid week shouldnt be too bad should it?

Also want to do some fishing down there and crabbing.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    Ocean City is no longer a family friendly place to visit. Avoid the boardwalk all together. I felt like i was walking through inner city Baltimore the last time i was there.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Ocean City is no longer a family friendly place to visit. Avoid the boardwalk all together. I felt like i was walking through inner city Baltimore the last time i was there.

Really? Is that only peak season, or all year round now?

What about chincoteague/assateague? I know there isnt as much to do but it seems more laid back.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nice and affordable don't belong in the same sentence where OC is concerned.

As someone else said, September is a good time to go. Kids are back in school and the crowd is older that time of year.

We go down in July now and we stay during the week. No weekends. Too many a-holes on the weekends. Traffic to and from is better slso.

We've been staying at the Hilton on 32nd street since it was built 10 or so years ago. Pricey though.

Enjoy you visit to Oh-so Chity!

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011

I dunno, I've gone to bike week every year in September for over ten years now and it's a great time down there, even the boardwalk.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    We head down every year. We stay in Delaware and rarely go below 94th street being a friend has a place on 94th bay side. Usually hit the beach up north when not out on the beach at the Indian River Inlet with some friends that have a park permit to drive their trucks out on the beach. We stay away from downtown at all costs. We also usually dine in Delaware to avoid the 9% MD alcohol tax.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    IIbs7rw.jpg

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Try Air B&B. Look at Dewey, Fenwick, and Rehoboth. Most hotels will charge you for a 3 night minimum in OC. I'd avoid the inlet area boardwalk but further north is OK during the day, at night stay off the boardwalk all together.

The Hilton on 33rd st is nice. Assateague is nice but watch out for the ponies. They will steal your food, they bite, and kick, and you can't do anything to them.

We were at the boardwalk 2 weeks ago taking our 2 year old to the merry go round and it was pretty nice.

Right about now there should start to be senior weekers who are usually drunk and rowdy.

Do some online research and look around. OC isn't bad it's just crowded and the crowds have gotten less family oriented and more thuggish lately.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Or better yet then Ocean City go to Rehoboth and or Lewis Beach. My dad used to own a place on 130th in the Monteigo Bay Trailer Park. Their are some very nice doublewide's you might be able to rent for a week as well. Then go across the state line at 141st and grocery shop for the week in DE. I wish it was still in the family for I would be living their instead of Monkey County .

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    Try Air B&B. Look at Dewey, Fenwick, and Rehoboth. Most hotels will charge you for a 3 night minimum in OC. I'd avoid the inlet area boardwalk but further north is OK during the day, at night stay off the boardwalk all together.

The Hilton on 33rd st is nice. Assateague is nice but watch out for the ponies. They will steal your food, they bite, and kick, and you can't do anything to them.

We were at the boardwalk 2 weeks ago taking our 2 year old to the merry go round and it was pretty nice.

Right about now there should start to be senior weekers who are usually drunk and rowdy.

Do some online research and look around. OC isn't bad it's just crowded and the crowds have gotten less family oriented and more thuggish lately.

Another vote for Dewey, Fenwick, and Rehoboth. I have stayed in Rehoboth during the week in late May/early June (grad trip), and it was completely fine. It is much more peaceful there than from 90th Street to the boardwalk. You may be able to find something Bayside in Fenwick with water access. I have heard that the area south of the boardwalk is nice, but I am not familiar with it.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Bethany, Rehoboth, Dewey, Virginia Beach.
    Pick one.
    Don’t go to Ocean City

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob finger

Jul 24, 2016
    I have resided on the ES since 2003 and by choice I have NEVER been to OC and am proud of it.

Thanks to this thread I have positive reinforcement of my decision and my pride in it.

OC is good for MD, all the taxes it rakes in. bob

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    The past couple of years, the family and I have opted for Chincoteague Island about an hour South of OC. $15 gets you a park pass for the week and access to some really nice, not terribly crowded beaches and about 100 miles of level bicycle trails.

http://www.chincoteague.com/

Very laid-back and family friendly. If you time it right, you may even get to see a rocket launch from Wallops Island, too.

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    I'm an MD outsider, grew up in the Midwest, came here after my military stint. My wife, a native, grew up going to OC every summer. I've never been big fan of the beach, but the wife and kid are.

We used to go for two weeks at a time, back when it was more family oriented as Trbo6gn stated. It may have always been this way, but it seems to have started becoming more of a tourist trap versus a local favorite and prices started to match. The decent places we stayed at were bought out and torn down for new expensive condos. Eventually our vacations shortened to a week, and now just a long weekend. I remember talking to another family sitting near us on the beach talking about the very same years ago. Even the unknown local restaurants that were reasonably priced jumped into the pool and raised their prices to either match the tourist dollars coming in, or taxes being charged, probably both.

I've heard good things about the NC shorelines. Couple different friends of mine rent large houses for a week at a time there with family and take turns providing the dinner night. Makes it affordable for everyone. I've started to look into alternatives myself, even the cruise ship out of Baltimore was starting to look cheaper in the long run than a week in OC. These last couple of years have been devoted to my wife's medical health, so we haven't really pursued anything.

I will admit that OC is fun for wildlife viewing. Hang out on the boardwalk after dark and you'll get to see all kinds of strange animals.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I used to stay at a condo at 60th St, not far from where Rt 90 comes into town. There is a grocery store, Fager's Island, and other things within walking distance. The beach isn't too crowded.

In the evening we would park under the covered area near the Frog Bar at the inlet, and then walk on the boardwalk.

I have also stayed at Fenwick Inn which has a pool but is further north.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom