• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    So....when i was at my last gun show i happen to see a new upper i wanted and when talking to the guy i asked if it was Maryland compliant. He said yes it was an H-BAR. I said great i will take it. Of course i am a noob and did not know what to look for. It was a new built 5.56 for my AR-15.

When i got home I put every thing together and of course took it to my gunsmith to have a few more thing painted and have him sight it in for me. So he gives me a call and tells me that he could not find an H-BAR stamp on the barrel and it had a government profile after the gas block. I not 100% what all that means but from what I now understand that is a BIG no no in MD. So i told him to remove the barrel and i am now on the hunt for a new one that is MD compliant!

So if anyone could better help me understand the above and make sure i am getting the right info!

Also i am looking for recommendation on a new 5.56 decent to high quality barrel! I have a budget of about $200 to $300

this was one i was considering

Faxon Firearms .223 Wylde Flame Fluted Match Barrel

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    So....when i was at my last gun show i happen to see a new upper i wanted and when talking to the guy i asked if it was Maryland compliant. He said yes it was an H-BAR. I said great i will take it. Of course i am a noob and did not know what to look for. It was a new built 5.56 for my AR-15.

When i got home I put every thing together and of course took it to my gunsmith to have a few more thing painted and have him sight it in for me. So he gives me a call and tells me that he could not find an H-BAR stamp on the barrel and it had a government profile after the gas block. I not 100% what all that means but from what I now understand that is a BIG no no in MD. So i told him to remove the barrel and i am now on the hunt for a new one that is MD compliant!

So if anyone could better help me understand the above and make sure i am getting the right info!

Also i am looking for recommendation on a new 5.56 decent to high quality barrel! I have a budget of about $200 to $300

I normally would recommend a Daniel Defense or BCM cold hammer forged barrel. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any HBAR barrels on their site. I’m not too familiar with HBAR barrels but these guys come very highly recommended.

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-hbar-contour-barrel/

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I've heard good things about Columbia River Arms, haven't bought a barrel from them yet. But they are within your budget range and are configurable. https://columbiariverarms.com/configure-your-custom-barrel/configure-your-2235-56/

They last item on their FAQ page states which barrels profiles are considered heavy barrels for MD customers. I don't know if it's stamped on the barrel so that might be best answered by a quick call to them.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I normally would recommend a Daniel Defense or BCM cold hammer forged barrel. Unfortunately, I cohttps://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/16-inch-chf-barrels.html?barrel_profile=43uldn’t find any HBAR barrels on their site. I’m not too familiar with HBAR barrels but these guys come very highly recommended.

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-hbar-contour-barrel/

I recommend Daniel Defense as well. Their S2W (Strength to Weight) barrel is an Hbar.

I don’t see a 5.56 for sale separately, but they make the barrel. I have it in my DD M4V7 Pro. Give DD a call and see if you can buy the S2W barrel separately.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I recommend Daniel Defense as well. Their S2W (Strength to Weight) barrel is an Hbar.

I don’t see a 5.56 for sale separately, but they make the barrel. I have it in my DD M4V7 Pro. Give DD a call and see if you can buy the S2W barrel separately.

Thanks, didn’t know that. Since I have no need for an HBAR, it is not something I’ve looked into.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

this was one i was considering

Faxon Firearms .223 Wylde Flame Fluted Match Barrel

The barrel doesn’t have to be stamped as an HBAR. It must be advertised/sold as one. Barrel profile is irrelevant. If the barrel manufacturer advertises/sells it as an HBAR, it’s good to go.
    Btw, White Oak Armory sells great MD compliant barrels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    OK so wait... When I bought my upper I was told it is a Hbar. It is not stamped on the barrel but I was told that and I can clearly see it is a Hbar except the profile just after the gas block and then it goes back up. Now my spec sheet I got with the upper says heavy barrel on it as well. So am I good to go. Cause in my research over the last 2 hours I have talked to another young man who in the last few weeks had his AR taken away from him due to the fact that they said his barrel was a "government profile" and was considered contraband. But he bought the gun and shipped to MD as a MD compliant AR with an advertised heavy barrel. The gun was 100% unmodified.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    OK so wait... When I bought my upper I was told it is a Hbar. It is not stamped on the barrel but I was told that and I can clearly see it is a Hbar except the profile just after the gas block and then it goes back up. Now my spec sheet I got with the upper says heavy barrel on it as well. So am I good to go. Cause in my research over the last 2 hours I have talked to another young man who in the last few weeks had his AR taken away from him due to the fact that they said his barrel was a "government profile" and was considered contraband. But he bought the gun and shipped to MD as a MD compliant AR with an advertised heavy barrel. The gun was 100% unmodified.

I am just telling you what the MSP bulletin has said in regards to heavy barrels. It certainly doesn’t make any sense.
    If what you bought was advertised and sold as an HBAR, you should be good to go.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    I am just telling you what the MSP bulletin has said in regards to heavy barrels. It certainly doesn’t make any sense.
    If what you bought was advertised and sold as an HBAR, you should be good to go.

Thank you
    There is so much misinformation out there I don't even think the MSP know lol
    Donu have a link to the bulletin?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I do not, it’s been posted on this forum before. Perhaps someone else has it readily available and can post it.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    You can buy a HBAR Chrome Lined Criterion for the same price and it will shoot circles around the faxon.

well i was going to go with the Faxon 16" Heavy Fluted 1.8 twist wylde. Its in stock $35 cheaper 11oz lighter and seem to have very good reviews as well. And MD compliment since it is a Heavy Barrel. Although your choice is too.

I figure you have experience with both barrels and I was wondering what makes one better than the other?

freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013

What? Please provide more details if possible.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    well i was going to go with the Faxon 16" Heavy Fluted 1.8 twist wylde. Its in stock $35 cheaper 11oz lighter and seem to have very good reviews as well. And MD compliment since it is a Heavy Barrel. Although your choice is too.

I figure you have experience with both barrels and I was wondering what makes one better than the other?

What flavor barrel do you have on now? OAL and gas port length?

What are you planning on doing with it?

Seems you are putting the cart before the horse.

Can you post up some pics of your current barrel?

HBAR means listed as such or has a .750" diameter from the receiver to the gas port and ideally no further cut down sections up to the muzzle. Note the 14.5" Colt Socom barrel is approved by the MSP as HBAR and has both the grenade launcher cut outs and reduction for the mount up front. It's much lighter versus a full 16" HBAR and still has a good accuracy record. I swapped out a 16" PSA HBAR barrel that shot fine and I paid $75 for and don't regret it.

freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013
    What flavor barrel do you have on now? OAL and gas port length?

What are you planning on doing with it?

Seems you are putting the cart before the horse.

Can you post up some pics of your current barrel?

HBAR means listed as such or has a .750" diameter from the receiver to the gas port and ideally no further cut down sections up to the muzzle. Note the 14.5" Colt Socom barrel is approved by the MSP as HBAR and has both the grenade launcher cut outs and reduction for the mount up front. It's much lighter versus a full 16" HBAR and still has a good accuracy record. I swapped out a 16" PSA HBAR barrel that shot fine and I paid $75 for and don't regret it.

The HBAR requirement for MD law does NOT have a diameter requirement.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    What? Please provide more details if possible.

yes from what i understand the young man was shooting on his farm for hours...30 acres of land. Has done so for years. A new neighbor called police for the noise complaint. MSP showed up and checked things out. Said no problems he was fine but one noticed the rifle and asked to see it. MSP said that the Ar-15 had a "government profile barrel" looking thru the custom hand guard and took it. Said he needed to provide proof that it was a HBAR. He did order it from out of state but it was ordered as a MD complaint AR-15 from a well know manufacture. So my understanding is not even MSP know all the rules and laws

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom