• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I need to get my hands on 10 yards (+/-) of wood chips for various things around the yard and garden. I looked on line and didn't see any of the local tree companies advertising that they had wood chips for the taking, everyone I found was at least an hour away. Does anyone know of a tree company in Fred Co or northern Mo Co that gives them away?

CobraMike

Back in Black
    Mar 30, 2008
    Frederick
    I have about 50 contractor bags full of wood chips in the backyard. The previous owners had 3 kids and a small (30'x20') play area in the back. I don't have any kids and have other plans for that spot in the yard. Take as much as you want. Might not be what you are looking for, but if nothing pans out for you shoot me a PM.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    If you need more, contact Ferro's Tree Service in Mt Airy. He should be able to supply as much as you can haul.

kwjones

Aug 31, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    I'm doing the Back To Eden gardening method. I just called all the tree trimmers in the phone book and asked if they had a list I could be put on for wood chips. It's hit and miss, most of them will only deliver if they are in your area. I got about 20 yards last year and another 15 this year.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I'm doing the Back To Eden gardening method. I just called all the tree trimmers in the phone book and asked if they had a list I could be put on for wood chips. It's hit and miss, most of them will only deliver if they are in your area. I got about 20 yards last year and another 15 this year.

I guess I could google this, but since you brought it up what is it? :D

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Most tree companies will only dump near where they trim. No one wants to pay someone gas or time to drive. Walkersville has a free mulch pile if that works for you.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Most tree companies will only dump near where they trim. No one wants to pay someone gas or time to drive. Walkersville has a free mulch pile if that works for you.

:thumbsup: The Walkersville mulch pile at the regional park across from Glade Valley Elem School is a GREAT place to get as much mulch as you can haul, &/or to drop off your yard, bush, & tree trimmings. It's not the filtered shredded decorative hardwood mulch you pay $5+ a bag for at Lowes or Home Depot, but it is FREE.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    The landfill used to give it away as well. Call them.

You have to be careful getting mulch/wood chips from the landfill. People will dump all kinds of weeds (and poison ivy) and it gets mixed up with the stuff they give away. You bring it home and next thing you know you have a mess on your hands in the spring.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    You have to be careful getting mulch/wood chips from the landfill. People will dump all kinds of weeds (and poison ivy) and it gets mixed up with the stuff they give away. You bring it home and next thing you know you have a mess on your hands in the spring.

That's true too. On the other hand I bought 20+ yds of supposedly screened topsoil from a prominent sod farm several years ago & I'm STILL trying to get rid of the darned Canada Thistle that came with it. Talk about your nasty weeds. Guess I figured out why they were selling that topsoil.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick

fWIW the county landfill doesn't give it away anymore. They sell single and double ground mulch for 8 or 15 a ton. They QA it very well. Plus they sell compost "Revive" for 15 a ton. I know many a market gardener that swears by it. You can get the lab test sheets on it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom