• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baltimore83

May 28, 2009
    Hi guys, just wondering if there are any C&R bolt action rifles with a rear peep sight and a detachable box magazine? I believe Enfield No. 5 Jungle Carbine would meet this criteria, any others? Thanks!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Rifle No 4 Mk 1.

Also the Mk1* and the No4Mk2.

The picture shows the battle sight, with the sight folded. When raised, the leaf carries an aperture sight, with a fine micrometer click adjustment. However, windage must be adjusted by drifting the front sight.

Why is a detachable magazine important? A fixed magazine gives you more possibile candidates.

Attachments

• 272.jpg
      272.jpg
      83.1 KB · Views: 328

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Eddystone 1917 gets you 1/2 there, wrong mag though. Great rifle!

Box mags are not that common in the C&R world. Enfield is the only one that comes to mind but I'm sure there are a few others.

baltimore83

May 28, 2009
    Thanks for the quick responses! Detachable magazine isn't a deal breaker for me, just curious. I don't have any C&R rifles. The ones that I would really like are K31, Mosin Nagant 91/30, and a swedish mauser of some sort, leaning towards a model 94 carbine. Probably go for the Mosin Nagant first due to availibility of ammo :)

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you want a C&R with a detachable magazine so you can have a stack of pre-loaded magazines ready, it's probably going to come with sticker shock. Most were made to be loaded from stripper clips even though they have detachable mags. K31 mags run around $40 each last time I checked. No. 5 aka Jungle carbines and alike magazines are not so quick change-able either. You aren't going to be pushing a button and have the mag drop away as on a semi-auto pistol.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    True. These rifles were not intended to be reloaded by switching magazines. There is one magazine serial numbered to the rifle, and it is not routinely removed. The rifle is loaded with stripper clips or loose rounds through the open bolt.

I don't think that cartridges would reliably stay in a Lee Enfield magazine when it's out of the gun. It looks like they'd be easily dislodged. They're just not designed to be carried pre-loaded seperate from the rifle.

By the way, some Swedish Mausers have precision aperture sights installed by Swedish shooting clubs. http://www.allans-armory.com/aaresult.php?PageId=59
    You're probably best off checking the online auctions for a nice one.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I would think the No4 or No5 would get the nod due to the receiver mounted sight. I love my Schmidt Rubins but hate the receiver mounted sight. Alas, a nice diopter for them can cost as much or more than the rifle it's mounted to. Target sights, like the Parker Hale, can still be found for the No4 and cost about half that of a Swiss diopter sight. Beware the windage adj. version of the Singer sight offered by Sarco for around $75. They work fine but require you to permanently modify your No4 to mount. I have one mounted to an old Indian service BSA No4 that is my range rifle (not a lot of collector value at the time I bought it but an excellent shooter). If I had it to do over again I would track down and use a Parker Hale Twin Zero sight (current market cost, approx. $175).
    Also, if accuracy is your goal I'd easily select the No4 over the No5. The "Jungle Carbine" has a real cool factor but it's not anywhere near as accurate as its rifle cousin.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Doesn't the Spanish FR8 come with peep sights and detachable box magazines? I'm still looking for one that someone hasn't bubba'd.

Peep sights; yes. Box mag; no. Bought a FR8 from Lou years ago on a whim, it was cool and in excellent condition. But eventually sold it to another collector when I realized it didn't fit in to the collection anymore (stopped collecting Mausers).

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    If you're looking for a shooter go for the No.4 over the No.5. No.4s generally go for half the price and half the recoil. Get a No.5 eventually though, it's a very cool rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom