• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Please Read: Acute Flaccid Myelitis.

It's the new polio(related to polio)...shit is cropping up everywhere. I've heard Indiana, Colorado, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, and my nephew in MD has it. We are praying that he has reached the worst of it. He is currently paraylized, but docs think he will walk again based on nerve activity. He coded today, but they were able to get him back. They said ventilator for 24 hrs. I pray he can breath on his own after that. They think it starts from the enterovirus "EN-D68." It's just a respiratory virus that they think causes it. There is currently no known treatment...they just take it case by case. Look it up...familiarize yourself with the symptoms. Get the kid to Hopkins right away if you think it's possible. It seems like all aren't suseptible. He is 9 and his little brother, 7, had a bug too, but it passed. It must be based on the immune system's response to it. Don't mean to start a panic, but look it up. No treatment but early has to be better than later. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    First Prayers for your nephew and family, this sounds horrible. Secondly, thanks for the warning.

A few links i found quickly.
    https://www.cdc.gov/acute-flaccid-myelitis/index.html
    38 cases at the time of this article
    "The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said there have been 38 confirmed cases of AFM this year through the end of September. Fourteen cases have been reported in Colorado and six in Minnesota, most of them children. Earlier this week, three new cases were reported in patients being treated in Pittsburgh. CBS Chicago also reported that a 2-year-old in Chicago is recovering from the illness."
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/doctor...-polio-like-virus-acute-flaccid-myelitis-afm/

And this one states that they've identified this in "At least five states — Illinois, Washington, Colorado, Minnesota and Pennsylvania"
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/health/myelitis-illness-acute-flaccid.html

Gorba

Deplorable Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 24, 2018
    Annapolis
    Amazing how these strange diseases morph out of nowhere seemingly. Best wishes for the full recovery of your nephew. In about 11 minutes, I'll hoist a 5 PM martini in his honor.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Prayers for the little one and your family. I will pray for the hospital staff, doctors and nurses too.

This disease came out of left field. Nothing, then all of a sudden there are dozens of children fighting for their lives.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Prayers up for ALCON, including non-immediate family. Sometimes being on the sidelines is worse than being in the trenches.

I wonder why these obscure, rare diseases appear each year? Strange. :shrug:

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I wonder why these obscure, rare diseases appear each year? Strange. :shrug:

Viruses mutate over time. Eventually some of them wind up in an especially virulent (to us, or to birds, or to swine, etc) form ... and off they go. The virus that causes this may have been rattling around the human population in a very slightly less successful form for untold centuries. Or it may have been present in some other species and finally mutated enough to latch on to some of us. It's why bio-terrorism is such a scary prospect. One little tune-up to an existing nasty virus, and it's game over.

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Thanks!

Little man can wiggle toes and point/grasp at least one hand. We are getting sporadic info from grandmother. Sounds like he might be off the vent. They said he wispered something to his mom. Watch for symptoms if u have little ones! Hopefully they figure out the cause so they can fight it early for others before it gets bad. Myersville, MD, outside of Frederick, is where he lives. Forgot to mention that, I think.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Wow, hadn't heard about this except for this thread and passed it off as a fluke, but then today heard a piece on the radio about its spread. Hope they figure this out, fast.

Worgenski

Mar 2, 2013
    On 680 AM this morning, they said this started popping up in 2014 when Obama started DACA. Immigrants flooded the border.
    My prayers are with you.
    Mike

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Prayers for your nephew. I have a student that had it last year. She basically lost all her leg function and was stuck in a wheelchair when she got back to school. It took a while for everything to repair itself, but she's back to running around like normal this year. Kids are surprisingly resilient, and it seems like a lot of the damage that happens from this resolves itself for most kids. My sons have had some medical things go wonky over the years and it made me feel completely powerless to just sit with them in the hospital, unable to do anything to make them better but to just wait. I hope everyone's prayers land on the youngster and get him up and healthy soon.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Little man can wiggle toes and point/grasp at least one hand. We are getting sporadic info from grandmother. Sounds like he might be off the vent. They said he wispered something to his mom. Watch for symptoms if u have little ones! Hopefully they figure out the cause so they can fight it early for others before it gets bad. Myersville, MD, outside of Frederick, is where he lives. Forgot to mention that, I think.

Glad he's improving, and hope he continues on this trajectory to a full recovery.

I did a little reading on EV-D68, and although it's a potential culprit, it's not definitively associated with Acute Flaccid Myelitis. It is a virus that would need to be genotyped during acute and persisting stages of infection before diagnosis ...

https://www.cdc.gov/non-polio-enterovirus/about/ev-d68.html

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Thanks again for well wishes!!

I'm up researching every night like I'm going to figure it out when Hopkins can't :-)...check the symptoms of botulism....looks really similar to AFM. Maybe immune system is down because of one of many routine illnesses and some form of botulinum toxin makes it's way in and starts doing damage.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Prayers for your nephew and family.

(Also, and this is a well-intended aside, OP - PLEASE CORRECT THE TITLE for this thread as the correct spelling for this serious medical condition includes the word, “flaccid” WITH 2 “c”s (people who know what the urban term ‘flacid’ means* and who genuinely are not aware of this terrible disease may pass the thread up as a result (I know I passed over it last night, when skimming thread topics ... just a well-intended suggestion)

*(For the record, MGA Senate President Mike Miller is flacid, with one ‘c’)

Again, prayers and sympathies for your nephew and entire family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom