• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Several years ago I put in a CMP order for a rack grade Garand with the intention of stripping it for parts and building another rifle, at the time they were 300.00 bucks so I was not expecting much.

Of course CMP put a wrench in the works by sending me a pretty nice looking WW2 June 1944 Garand, full of WW2 parts including the stock which has a faint large SA cartouche and large crossed cannons, it also had it's original June 44 barrel which swallowed a muzzle gauge. Muzzle was so gone it was losing gas pressure and would not function.

Decided to just sit on it and it has sat in the rack for several years. Finally I decided this week to take it over to Charlie Maloney and have him go though it and screw on and headspace a new Criterion barrel.

Picked it up today and Charlie did a great job, besides the barrel, he replaced a bent from sight, tightened up the hand guard and stock fit, did a trigger job at my request, gauged everything to make sure was in spec and even oiled the stock.

So now I have a great looking WW2 Garand that should be a very good shooter, I've always loved the June 44 receiver, made me wonder what the workers at Springfield Armory were thinking about as they were building Garands as D-Day was occurring.

Attachments

• IMG_8616.jpg
      IMG_8616.jpg
      92.3 KB · Views: 771
    • IMG_8615.jpg
      IMG_8615.jpg
      73.2 KB · Views: 749
    • IMG_8614.jpg
      IMG_8614.jpg
      94 KB · Views: 765
    • IMG_8613.jpg
      IMG_8613.jpg
      39 KB · Views: 780
    • IMG_8612.jpg
      IMG_8612.jpg
      52.7 KB · Views: 782
    • IMG_8610.jpg
      IMG_8610.jpg
      90.8 KB · Views: 781

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Very nice looking rifle. What did the cost of the refit equal if you don’t mind?

I've got less than 700.00 total in the rifle including the cost of the rifle, I had bought the barrel years ago and Charlies labor is quite reasonable.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I've got less than 700.00 total in the rifle including the cost of the rifle, I had bought the barrel years ago and Charlies labor is quite reasonable.

Wow, good steal. What would he charge to do the barrel if you can say to someone off the street?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Wow, good steal. What would he charge to do the barrel if you can say to someone off the street?

Every rifle is different, he charged me 150.00 for the barrel install and headspace which included checking all the other parts to make sure they were in spec. It's best to always e-mail him direct about any Garand or M14 work.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Several years ago Charlie installed a new Criterion barrel and did a trigger job (as well as check and gauge everything). Total was about $500 including the barrel. I think the barrel cost was about $200.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I live near Mr Maloney's home and pass it often on walkies with Bucky. Glad to hear he's still able to work as the last time I saw him he didn't look to be in good health.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Every rifle is different, he charged me 150.00 for the barrel install and headspace which included checking all the other parts to make sure they were in spec. It's best to always e-mail him direct about any Garand or M14 work.

Thanks, I think that's a more than fair price.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Where could one go to find a Garand in a condition such as yours is now? It's beautiful.

CMP
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

The CMP Special comes with new barrel, new stock, completely refinished. But lacks the emotional connection to history a well used rifle has.

RM1SPECIAL $1,050.00 Free Shipping

CMP Special (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
    Receiver may have pitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom