• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    So as stated I have a few CMP questions for the masses. Just tonight I was informed that in 10 day we are going to Georgia. Anniston is only about 90 miles from where I'll be. I was thinking I would take a ride to CMP to try and purchase a M1 garand. I am currenty not affiliated with an accepted club, but was looking to join GCA for $25. I do have a MD hunters safety card from 20 years ago.

If I were to join GCA tonight is there enough time for my stuff to process? Or can it be done in person at the store?

Also does anyone know what kind of selection they normaly have in stock at the store?

If you have any other tidbits of info please send them.

Thanks

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Check the Store reports on the CMP Forum to see what they have on hand, it is always changing.
    http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=74

Make sure you meet all the requirements posted on the CMP web site.
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

The Sales FAQ's may be worth reading.
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/sales-faq/
    If you have them ship your rifle to your home you won't be charged AL sales tax.

They stopped shipping rifles! Unless you can prove you flew down and are flying home or something to that effect but the price of the guns still include shipping charges either way. Here's a recently post about it http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=208710 You still pay tax also!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    So as stated I have a few CMP questions for the masses. Just tonight I was informed that in 10 day we are going to Georgia. Anniston is only about 90 miles from where I'll be. I was thinking I would take a ride to CMP to try and purchase a M1 garand. I am currenty not affiliated with an accepted club, but was looking to join GCA for $25. I do have a MD hunters safety card from 20 years ago.

If I were to join GCA tonight is there enough time for my stuff to process? Or can it be done in person at the store?

Also does anyone know what kind of selection they normaly have in stock at the store?

If you have any other tidbits of info please send them.

Thanks

From what I've heard, you can handle everything right there in the store. You do need to have your documents, though. Do you have proof of citizenship, such as your birth certificate?

Best thing to do is to call them. By telephone. Customer service.

Use the telephone to call customer service and ask a real person.

I have done this and survived. They are actually very nice and friendly. They also will give you the correct answers to all your questions.

firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Ok so I've hit a snag. I joined GCA last week via online application. I figured they would email a membership card back. To date I have not received anything, so I called. I was told it can take up to 4 weeks to process. I asked if it could be expideted and did not get an answer other than when it's completed it will be mailed.

So my issue is does anyone know of a local club that I could join in the next 24 hours? We are planning to leave around dinner time tomorrow and I was headed to Anniston on Thursday. I have reached out to CMP to see if a receipt of payment to GCA would work. Any help would be great.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    You can try MD State Rifle and Pistol Association (www.msrpa.org) for the membership. As for M1 Garands, I can only speak for the North Store in Camp Perry OH as I was just there last week. The North Store had a fairly decent selection of rifles for $850 (and more depending on what you want). Some were in decent shape. I would call down to the Anniston store to be sure.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Cross posted again:

The CMP will confirm your GCA membership themselves. They have access to the GCA membership roles. I just wrote "Garand Collector's Association - see database" in that line.

Call customer service and confirm that, as well as your other qualifications, before you drive down.
    They're very friendly and helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom