• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    I received the same email. They are not listening.

Then work on politicians.
    Pissed off constituency can put pressure on pols who then rattle appointees' cages.

Too late for this round, but will work towards pushing for more/ expanded ranges.
    Maybe let pols unwind a bit after session, then start in.

Rob00taws6

Apr 4, 2013
    I called today, I was a little angry about spending 40 dollars on season passes just to find out that the range will be closed most of the season... She could not give us a refund but said that the work is being done by a contractor and thinks the range will not be closed that long... I don’t really believe them... I think I’m just going to pay as I go from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I wish we could get the money to file a lawsuit against DNR and have the courts force them to hold off for the major repairs until the normal closed dates in November. (this is another sour subject) and only do the repairs to hold things over for the emergency repairs. the could close for a few day a week then open the other 5 days for the emergency repairs. it shouldn't take more then a day or two to replace a few sections of bad wood.they can rotate the days until all the bad wood is replaced

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I don't think there is a conspiracy to shut the range down. We have to remember this is all a big, uncaring, bureaucracy. Even if the DNR people care and requested a specific timeframe for the period of performance, the contract is let by the Contracting Office of the Dept. of General Services, which is another independent bureaucracy that works in it's own timeline within the confines of strict contracting rules. It comes down to the period of performance being worked out by the Contracting Officer (some GS-nothing who really has no clue as to what is needed) and the winning bidder. It will be done more for their convenience than the requesting Agency (DNR). This is why the work done often isn't what the requesting agency envisioned or planned for.

Last edited:

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Pictures of the back side of the 3rd set of baffles, though im sure those who frequent there and shoot more than a pistol or shotgun would have seen/know them. I dont see how any "normal" shots placed up on the frames would hit these with such frequency. (its about 20 yards-ish from the line)

If they make worthwhile improvements to the firing line and fix the baffles, I can be patient.
    I would love to volunteer to help, but it sounds as if its contracted/etc. I am not in the trade(s) (unless they need some network/cabletv/telephone wiring or a wifi network setup lol) but am a pretty capable DIY'er in general.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I've seen the ceiling of an indoor range shot up repeatedly only about 15 or 20 feet in front of the line by... ready for this guys?... police officers. Uh, how does a "trained professional" repeatedly, as in several dozens of times, shoot the ceiling 15 feet in front of the line unless he's doing it deliberately or totally incompetent to handle firearms? Civilians? - There are many idiots and slobs out there.
    People just don't follow rules and don't respect property, private, or in the case of Myrtle Grove, public.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    "If they make worthwhile improvements to the firing line and fix the baffles," they have said that this is what to they where doing in the past but when reopen nothing really was changed. This is why I don't but what they saying now. If they do and I am sure they will close the range that they actually do noticable improvement to our range. But I am betting it will look the same when they reopen it but with a few new bords here and there

Last time the range was closed they had large equipment just parked in the range and not touched for several weeks. I personally know because I watched and took pictures. Once the range closes we need to watch them and make sure they are actually doing work and Jeep pressure on them to reopen it.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I said this in the other thread

I bid both the remodels, didn’t get them because the Stste takes the absolute low bidder and when shit doesn’t work out they have to figure out what to do , like coming up with more money

They don’t have funds to do all the work at once or add lanes.

The state things very little of having ranges period much less keeping them up but since they have this one they are funding this work

This bid includes fixing the messed up baffles and change the supports to steel
    Re grading some to try and keep the mud down
    Getting rid of the shed
    Patching the concrete and overlaying it
    Putting a pergala over the roof of the line
    New shooting benches

And the reason they don’t do it in the winter is outside winter work takes longer and costs more

Edit: if people acted like they had some sense and didn’t shoot the baffles and stand up top and shoot over the berm then the don’t and the state would be easier to get along with

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I just don't understand how those baffles get shot up so bad unless it's done on purpose. I've never come close to hitting a baffle and I bet most here could say the same. I could understand a few rounds from ND, but those baffles have had thousands of hits. Has anyone seen people shooting the baffles while you were there?

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I just don't understand how those baffles get shot up so bad unless it's done on purpose. I've never come close to hitting a baffle and I bet most here could say the same. I could understand a few rounds from ND, but those baffles have had thousands of hits. Has anyone seen people shooting the baffles while you were there?

The times I have been there I didn't see anyone shoot them. But as I said before install some CCTV and have the closest ranger monitor it.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I went there once because a guy at work asked me to

Guys there were doing so much stupid shit, shooting from the top behind and over everyone, shooting the baffles, shooting the backstop, shooting up in the air , if it wasn’t so sad it would have been funny in s morbid sort of way

Never went back to shoot there

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    I went there once because a guy at work asked me to

Guys there were doing so much stupid shit, shooting from the top behind and over everyone, shooting the baffles, shooting the backstop, shooting up in the air , if it wasn’t so sad it would have been funny in s morbid sort of way

Never went back to shoot there

In the 50ish maybe 60ish times I have been there over the last 2 years I have not seen any of that occur. Worst I have seen were a few times someone with a shotgun shooting bird shot at the targets on their stands and absolutely destroying the stands. And a few times people toying with their (almost always unloaded, thankfully) guns when the range was "cold" and people were walking to reset their targets. (which usually ends up with them being admonished pretty swiftly and sternly)

Maybe I have just been lucky.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    In the 50ish maybe 60ish times I have been there over the last 2 years I have not seen any of that occur. Worst I have seen were a few times someone with a shotgun shooting bird shot at the targets on their stands and absolutely destroying the stands. And a few times people toying with their (almost always unloaded, thankfully) guns when the range was "cold" and people were walking to reset their targets. (which usually ends up with them being admonished pretty swiftly and sternly)

Maybe I have just been lucky.

The baffles and stops ain’t shooting them selves lol

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Not saying it doesnt happen, but I have never seen people shooting from anywhere other than the firing line, nor into the air or the like. With the amount of damage people are clearly shooting the baffles at times, but I have never seen (or noticed) it being done while there.

I am sure a large part of it is probably people shooting pistols at an upward angle while seated and their targets set up high on the frames, or similar. That or their targets low on the frames and bouncing shots off the ground up into them.

And I am sure some of it is intentional, but I have yet to see that personally.

I have never really felt "unsafe" while there, there are some regulars who do a pretty good job of almost being stand-in RSO's, but even when they arent there most others are cordial/friendly and watch out for others. The only ones who bother me are the cowboys who come in and rapid fire constantly, not unsafely, but against the rules and annoying. (and im sure are one of the main culprits of the baffle destruction)

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    There's no way those baffles are shot up "accidentally". It has to be intentional with that amount of destruction. I agree that some CCTV would be a good addition to that range. Maybe they will include that in the updates to the range.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Not saying it doesnt happen, but I have never seen people shooting from anywhere other than the firing line, nor into the air or the like. With the amount of damage people are clearly shooting the baffles at times, but I have never seen (or noticed) it being done while there.

I am sure a large part of it is probably people shooting pistols at an upward angle while seated and their targets set up high on the frames, or similar. That or their targets low on the frames and bouncing shots off the ground up into them.

And I am sure some of it is intentional, but I have yet to see that personally.

I have never really felt "unsafe" while there, there are some regulars who do a pretty good job of almost being stand-in RSO's, but even when they arent there most others are cordial/friendly and watch out for others. The only ones who bother me are the cowboys who come in and rapid fire constantly, not unsafely, but against the rules and annoying. (and im sure are one of the main culprits of the baffle destruction)

This.

Have only had two instances in the last 25 years where I grabbed my stuff and left. Have had to have The Talk a few times, and that usually works, except for one of the two instances I mentioned.

Most self police pretty well.
    Had a young guy show up last year with an Enfield someone left him. Dont think he had ever fired a gun before. Had the gun and 20 rounds, that was it.

I gave him a target and some foam earplugs, someone else showed him how to operate the weapon.

Funny thing, just renewed fishing license online, printed it out and saw this:

Attachments

• 20190415_084949.jpg
      20190415_084949.jpg
      51.6 KB · Views: 281

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    There is no real reason for them to be hit so many times in such short time frame.
    I shoot one of the biggest guns you will see there and I dont hit the baffles with it. I am very careful how I shoot it. I also use my handguns to shoot objects on the burm and don't hit the baffles.. I get some hit the ground then bounce up and that can't be helped but to the ass hats that shoot the baffles just to shoot them or see if they can shoot trough them need to be ran out of there. I am not talking about the accidental one here and there.
    For the example above I would have no issues teaching giving some targets foam ear plugs someone. if they came down with a new gun and actually willing to learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom