Gas Leak: Gas Tube Pin Burnt Up/Corroded?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I shot a 3 gun match on Sunday (Heavy Metal) and after the match, a few of us hung around and shot distant steel for a few minutes.

During that after-match practice, my 308AR started having problems: would eject but not strip off the next round or lock back on an empty mag. Definitely a gas issue. When I got home, I pulled off my handguard and found this:

IMG_20150721_195302_zps71pj4otm.jpg

20150721_194948_zpsd2grpayf.jpg

Definitely bleeding gas. If you look closely, it looks like the pin is either burnt up or corroded away.

eac79060-fb10-4127-968a-24384990c046_zpsdvybpcbp.jpg

Is it a safe bet that my gas block is probably fine and I just need to replace the pin? Background: When I first got it, the gun was originally over-gassed, so I put in a Heavybuffer (heavybuffer.com), which fixed the issue.

Also, when I measured the base where the gas block slides on, it measures .735, not .750; is that area usually tapered? If the consensus is that the gas block might be toast, I may replace with an adjustable gas block and swap out the heavybuffer.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Tapered Gas Block Seats are not normal.

Is that Gas Block Aluminum? If so that's part of the problem. Aluminum heats and cools at different rates and will lead to leakage and erosion way more than steel or titanium.

If the gun was overgassed I would put an adjustable gas block to prevent this.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Tapered Gas Block Seats are not normal.

Is that Gas Block Aluminum? If so that's part of the problem. Aluminum heats and cools at different rates and will lead to leakage and erosion way more than steel or titanium.

If the gun was overgassed I would put an adjustable gas block to prevent this.

OK, thanks Chad. It's a factory DPMS barrel that I had planned to replace over the winter, anyway. Guess it will come sooner. :thumbsup:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If it shoots good a clamp on gas block from SLR will remedy the undersized journal, tapered journal, or overgassed issue. You can also reuse the gas block if you replace the barrel.

I'm not sure if a clamp on will clear your rail though.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    For a factory barrel, it does shoot pretty well. I can check clearance when I get home; SLR has the dimensions of their blocks on their website (1.365" set screw vs. 1.40" clamp on)

Thanks again.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    For the record, a heavier buffer doesn't actually FIX an overgas issue....it merely provides an expedient manner with which to deal with the symptoms. Rig is still overgassed, regardless of buffer weight. ;)

+1 on a steel adjustable gas block.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Yes, I realize that. I guess I should have said, "the gun was overgassed and the bolt would occasionally fail to unlock. To remedy that symptom, I put in a heavier buffer to increase the dwell time."

On Chad's recommendation, I've since put an SLR adjustable gas block on it. I'll tune it this weekend. The real question is this: should I take out the heavy buffer I put in there and put in a standard weight buffer, now that I can adjust the gas flow?

I switched to a rifle length buffer tube, so right now, it has a Spike's spacer, extra power carbine spring and carbine heavybuffer buffer.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    That's your call. A heavier buffer will make it a little more reliable, but means more recoil impulse as the mass bottoms out under recoil. You will lose some adjustability with weak ammo with a heavier buffer.

A light buffer allows the most adjustability and less recoil impulse, but is slightly less reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom