• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YFallston

Aug 24, 2013
    Hazard County
    Friend is considering trading his DPMS AR15 for a Mini 14 tactical. I gave him my opinion( which is to shoot it and see what he likes better). I prefer the AR platform myself, and the only downside I could find is that magazines are considerably more expensive for the mini and it weighs slightly more.

Any other thoughts on this. I'm looking for input from those of you who have shot both. Just trying to give him good advice. Thanks!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    If you're just looking for a rifle to have a rifle in that caliber. Its hard to beat a Mini-14. Its ambi if you know how to work it (an AR is also but less so), it comes with decent sights, and if you buy the right model, you can get a flash hider and a bayonet lug. (Because everything needs a bayonet.
    But, if you're looking for a rifle to customize, be adaptable to different situations, use in competition (formal and informal).
    For self/home defense either one will work wonderful, for target shooting the AR will reign supreme, for hunting the AR is better and the accessory market for the AR is unbelievable.

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    Tough choice so get both :D

I have shot a 580+ Ranch Version, like the iron sights, pretty accurate. Having to get Ruger Mags to ensure proper functionality stinks

Feb 28, 2013

I have shot a 580+ Ranch Version, like the iron sights, pretty accurate. Having to get Ruger Mags to ensure proper functionality stinks

Yes, he needs both. But he needs an AR first, since that's the one most targetted by libtards.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have to say go with the AR. Its modular, the parts and accessories are everywhere, its reliable and easy to fix/maintain. And as Sling Blade said above me, the commies want them cause they are black and evil.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD

the newer tapco mags work 100% in all the minis I've tried them in. This includes new model tapered barrel models as well as stainless GB models and the sharp magazine pin DOC GBs.

The only thing I didn't like about the mini is no chromed barrels, but melonite is better anyways and will leave your action and chamber glass smooth as well as simplifying maintenance.

The tapcos I'm talking about are the ones with a metal plate at the front locking lug and stiffer polymer reinforced with more glass.

BTW, I'm not a pimp for melonite, nitriding is just incredible. I got a vz-2008 done and since then I've been in love with the process. My buddy just got some garand barrels done as well as a sub2k and some other stuff. The sub2k looks and shoots INCREDIBLE. Can't wait for him to get those garands put back together!!

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    All comes down to person preference and what the intended use of the rifle will be. I own both and here are my thoughts:

Mini-14
    It's rugged, reliable, and simple. Requires very little maintenance. Jack of all trades, master of none describes it well. It's well suited to being a survival/camping/general outdoors carry rifle; hence the name "ranch rifle".

I personally enjoy shooting the rifle and find it's handy and points well. I recommend keeping it in a fixed stock configuration; putting it in aftermarket folding/collapsible stocks with rails and whatnot makes it very front heavy. The only real downside to the platform is the magazines. Spend the extra money for metal factory mags.

AR15
    It's "America's Rifle". Parts and magazines are readily available. It can be modified in a million ways. As for weight, it can easily weigh as much or more as the Mini depending on how it's set up. It has the potential to be more accurate than the Mini, but this varies based on the setup. Recoil is also generally less than the Mini.

I think the AR is, for the average person, the better defensive/tactical rifle. It's modularity and easy of attaching optics/accessories makes it open to a wider audience. It does require slightly more maintenance to be reliable, but overall it's a proven platform.

Personally I like both and wouldn't give either up. With enough practice, one can become proficient with either. Your friend needs to handle both before deciding.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    To each his own for their own reasons. The mini is a work of beauty (if one put a NICE piece of walnut on it) and looks like a rile is supposed to look like. AR's... a prosthetic leg looking pos and if one likes em that much.... enlist. :shrug: :innocent0

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Pat Rogers has said that he has never seen a mini make it through one of his 3 day courses.

In my experience Minis are harder to get parts for and River fault out won't sell certain parts which means factory service only. GOOD Magazines cost almost 3x as much.

They safety requires you to put your trigger finger into the trigger guard to make it hot, and mounting optics can be a little more involved.

The Mini is a NEAT gun for a collection but choosing one or the other the AR wins hands down.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I'm must be the only one here on MDS that doesn't like the Mini-14?

I prefer the Mini-30 over the Mini-14 and the AR15 over the Mini-30

I will leave now since I don't belong here and before you guys start flinging poo at me

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    All comes down to person preference and what the intended use of the rifle will be. I own both and here are my thoughts:

Mini-14
    It's rugged, reliable, and simple. Requires very little maintenance. Jack of all trades, master of none describes it well. It's well suited to being a survival/camping/general outdoors carry rifle; hence the name "ranch rifle".

I personally enjoy shooting the rifle and find it's handy and points well. I recommend keeping it in a fixed stock configuration; putting it in aftermarket folding/collapsible stocks with rails and whatnot makes it very front heavy. The only real downside to the platform is the magazines. Spend the extra money for metal factory mags.

AR15
    It's "America's Rifle". Parts and magazines are readily available. It can be modified in a million ways. As for weight, it can easily weigh as much or more as the Mini depending on how it's set up. It has the potential to be more accurate than the Mini, but this varies based on the setup. Recoil is also generally less than the Mini.

I think the AR is, for the average person, the better defensive/tactical rifle. It's modularity and easy of attaching optics/accessories makes it open to a wider audience. It does require slightly more maintenance to be reliable, but overall it's a proven platform.

Personally I like both and wouldn't give either up. With enough practice, one can become proficient with either. Your friend needs to handle both before deciding.

No need for me to type much after this.

I like the Mini better, but if I was going to own only 1 .223 rifle it would be an AR.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    An AR-15 with collapsible stock accommodates everyone big and small. If you do Appleseed or somebody in the family is recoil sensitive, you can get an M&P15-22 to complement your AR-15 (mil-spec buffer tube) and accessories are interchangeable between them.

wheelgun

Feb 23, 2009
    My 2 cents

Many years ago, (before the Federal AWB), I purchased a Colt AR and a Mini 14 Ranch rifle. Foolishly, I bought a crapload of mags. for each, and Ruger stainless rings, and a nice scope to match the Mini before a trip to the range. My brother and I took both guns to AGC one day to sort everything out. After I calmly put five rounds down range off of sandbags with the Mini, my brother said, "make up your mind which target your gonna shoot". We had two 100 yard NRA targets side by side and they weren't even close together. Without elaborating, I told my brother to "give it a try". After he finished five rounds, we put the POS back in the truck. I took it back another time with a different known good scope and several different boxes of premium ammo, only to have similar results. Someone got a helluva deal on a nearly new Mini 14.
    On the other hand, the iron- sighted Colt out shot the scoped Mini easily. Before the Mini lovers get their panties in a bunch, I have an M1A and much preferred the Mini layout over the AR platform. But to each their own. If you buy the Mini, be sure to outfit it with a bayonet, 'cause at least you'll be able to stab the target, after you peppered the surrounding landscape with errant rounds. Good luck.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Love my Mini-14. After I got rid of the wood stock, groups shrunk from 3" to 1.5" at 100 yards. I don't maintain it, I've cleaned it thrice since I got it in 2008, it still ticks along. Mags are the bigger problem with them. Ruger and steel ProMags work, the others are really poor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom