• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Didn't see this posted. I do remember a thread about smart guns but this article was just published.

One of California’s largest firearm stores recently added a peculiar new gun to its shelves. It requires an accessory: a black waterproof watch.

The watch’s primary purpose is not to provide accurate time, though it does. The watch makes the gun think. Electronic chips inside the gun and the watch communicate with each other. If the watch is within close reach of the gun, a light on the grip turns green. Fire away. No watch means no green light. The gun becomes a paperweight.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...be76da-8f58-11e3-b227-12a45d109e03_story.html

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    My watch has a dead battery.... do I die in a gun fight?

If Iran fires a ship launched missile with EMP causing nuke that explodes at 50,000 ft off shore that fries my electronics.... will my gun function ?

The police / NSA / goobermint agency of choice decides to over ride the watch and shut down the guns...

So much fail, so little win

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Didn't see this posted. I do remember a thread about smart guns but this article was just published.

One of California’s largest firearm stores recently added a peculiar new gun to its shelves. It requires an accessory: a black waterproof watch.

The watch’s primary purpose is not to provide accurate time, though it does. The watch makes the gun think. Electronic chips inside the gun and the watch communicate with each other. If the watch is within close reach of the gun, a light on the grip turns green. Fire away. No watch means no green light. The gun becomes a paperweight.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...be76da-8f58-11e3-b227-12a45d109e03_story.html

There are several problems with these types of guns (e.g., RFID smart guns):

1. Any and all electronic technology will malfunction at some point due to ANY NUMBER OF FACTORS;
    2. In that same vein, wear and tear from firing the gun will likely damage the electronics on board AND if you drop the gun it will probably be a paperweight;
    3. The technology renders the gun cost prohibitive;
    4. RFID is relatively easy to hack;
    5. The gun only comes in .22 right now, let's see how it fairs with 9mm, .45acp, .40, and 10mm;
    6. RFID is a proximity based technology so, in a struggle where an assailant goes for the firearm, the RFID accessory (i.e., watch or ring) is still in close proximity to the firearm which means that the assailant can still fire the gun if he secures it from the prospective victim; and,
    7. In an emergency situation, especially for home break-ins, the owner will likely forget to don the watch or ring (is it an accessory you have to wear constantly so you won't forget it) so that he/she may use the firearm.

A fingerprint or palm print gun is a better solution but still subject to the all too present threat of technical failure.

The best solution that gun grabbers and hand-wringers could support is a federal bill providing free or subsidized bedside and full size gun safes with biometric access or other locks for firearms owners.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    The bad news is that in NJ we have a smart gun mandate that is supposed to kick in when smart guns become available, and the AG certifies. All other guns will be banned from sale except smart guns.

So I'm buying up as many "dumb" guns as I can before this takes effect.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    You and me both. Why don't they see if the military and police will use them. :lol2:

Oh they won't.

In NJ initially the smart gun law was for police, and the police unions went ballistic, saying it would endanger officer safety, that they need reliable guns etc. So the law carved them out an exemption and foisted it on the general public instead. But the irony is the law was meant ONLY for police, as an "officer safety" measure.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    My watch has a dead battery.... do I die in a gun fight?

If Iran fires a ship launched missile with EMP causing nuke that explodes at 50,000 ft off shore that fries my electronics.... will my gun function ?

The police / NSA / goobermint agency of choice decides to over ride the watch and shut down the guns...

So much fail, so little win

Or... The attacker is able to twist your smart gun out of your hands, and since the smart gun is still in proximity of the watch... Bang Bang??

tinydata

Jul 29, 2011
    Potomac
    Any manufacturer that pushes this is going to get the same treatment that S&W did after their betrayal.

As for me, I'll stick with something that isn't possibly controlled by the same government that has given us NSA, IRS, EPA, etc overreaches

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

Attachments

• hFFB59D35.jpg
      hFFB59D35.jpg
      41.7 KB · Views: 957

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Well, as it turns out the plot thickens. None other than State Senator Loretta Weinberg (one of the most anti-gun members of the NJ state legislature) sent a letter to the AG asking him to clarify that the smart gun for sale in CA can activate the law. If it does, no guns other than smart guns can be sold in NJ starting in 2017.

I guess my wallet will be constantly empty now, buying up a bunch of "dumb" guns before it kicks in. :(

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Well, as it turns out the plot thickens. None other than State Senator Loretta Weinberg (one of the most anti-gun members of the NJ state legislature) sent a letter to the AG asking him to clarify that the smart gun for sale in CA can activate the law. If it does, no guns other than smart guns can be sold in NJ starting in 2017.

I guess my wallet will be constantly empty now, buying up a bunch of "dumb" guns before it kicks in. :(

They can go ahead and try. I don't think they'd find themselves in compliance with Heller.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    They can go ahead and try. I don't think they'd find themselves in compliance with Heller.

That never stopped them before. But it would be interesting if it did get challenged. A favorable decision would probably strike down other stuff with it too.

Sharadeth

Oct 11, 2011
    With the title of the thread I thought it was only going to work with a proprietary round and that you would be sued if you reloaded for it.......... But yes, I can see this becoming a very bad thing for firearms owners in Cali

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    And then there is THIS ...

BearingArms.com -
    Senator proposes gun control regulations that would destroy the entire U.S. handgun market… based on non-viable technology he saw in a James Bond movie

Massachusetts Senator Ed Markey is a pompous ass ... sort of like Obama without the charisma. I've met him personally and can attest to THAT FACT ... :sad20:

Anti-gun Massachusetts Senator Ed Markey’s proposed gun control legislation is even more absurd than we expected, suggesting that fingerprint recognition and RFID-activated firearms become the standard for so-called smart guns.

Apparently, it doesn’t get cold enough in Massachusetts for people to wear gloves, and people with dirty or injured hands don’t deserve to live if attacked.

Here’s the entire absurd proposal (PDF):

Irony of ironies, Markey had broken his right wrist {probably playing circle jerk with a group of congressional pages} and had it in a sling when I met him ...

In the most recent James Bond film, Bond escapes death when his handgun, which is equipped with technology that recognizes him as its owner, becomes inoperable when it gets into the wrong hands.

This technology, however, isn’t just for the movies – it’s a reality. Technology currently exists to make handguns “personalized” and to ensure that they are only operable by authorized users. This technology presents a modern solution to the persistent problem of gun violence that is in the interest of, and should be embraced by, gun owners and safety advocates alike.

Since Markey is so enamored with movie tech, someone should hold a private screening of "Shoot 'em up" for him. I'm sure that after biometrics are foisted upon the gun-owning public that thugs and criminals will have seen the movie too and figured out how to 'by-pass' the technology ...

Attachments

• SEUGlock17-5.jpg
      SEUGlock17-5.jpg
      26.9 KB · Views: 783

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom