• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    A few things:

—CMP has been saying for a couple of years that they could never ship to C&R holders because the Army had cold feet about the whole deal. A lot of CYA on the Army side, and I guess I can’t blame them since they don’t stand to benefit from this. Still sucks though.

—There are a lot of very nice pistols in govt. hands. It would seem unbelievable (to anyone who hasn’t dealt with the military bureaucracy), but there were still significant numbers of pristine 1911A1s in storage even 70 years after the last one was built. I’m talking about NSWC Crane here, but most likely the Army is the same.

—A lot of people complained when Mark Johnson guessed $1000 for a mixmaster. When he said that arsenal rebuilds were going for more than that and the prices have gone up since then. They go up every year. Unlike Orest, Mark is a gun collector (he collects 1911s). He has apparently priced every item the CMP has ever sold since its inception in the 1990s, so the pricing isn’t an Orest/Mark thing.

—Communication from the CMP the last few years has been TERRIBLE!!! If you guys irritated about CMP Sales communications had seen what was going on on the competition side your heads would explode. CMP is a $250 million organization and needs to act like it.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I'll take a stab at $765.00 for rattletraps.

Colt 1911 Army models are going for $2k - $3k on gunbroker (Buy It Now) and that appears to be Mark Johnson's retail reference.

I would be surprised if field grade mixmasters are under $1200. Yes, it might be cheaper to find a new one in a gun shop, but they won't have the gov't markings.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Colt 1911 Army models are going for $2k - $3k on gunbroker (Buy It Now) and that appears to be Mark Johnson's retail reference.

I would be surprised if field grade mixmasters are under $1200. Yes, it might be cheaper to find a new one in a gun shop, but they won't have the gov't markings.

Yeah, I was thinking the rust buckets will sell for $1000 with the best examples going for as much as $3000. Earlier serial number models could go for as much as $5000.

This is all speculation on my part, but these will be one of a kind firearms with a history like no other.

I may be over stating the values, but the interest is going to be crazy. I think the CMP will price these so it tries to take away the flipper who will want to make a quick buck in the secondary market.

As the Sharks say in Shark Tank... I'm Out.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Yeah, I was thinking the rust buckets will sell for $1000 with the best examples going for as much as $3000. Earlier serial number models could go for as much as $5000.

This is all speculation on my part, but these will be one of a kind firearms with a history like no other.

I may be over stating the values, but the interest is going to be crazy. I think the CMP will price these so it tries to take away the flipper who will want to make a quick buck in the secondary market.

As the Sharks say in Shark Tank... I'm Out.

I think the 1 a year is meant to stop the flippers.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It will greatly reduce flipping, but even at the high price I think the market is going to be there with big profit to anyone willing to resell.

The next thing will be counterfeited CMP papers for regular junk 1911's

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    If you don't want to jump through CMP's hoops, allow me to observe that $750 will put you into a decent Argentine Sistema Colt.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what will be offered. If I feel that its a good deal then I'm gonna jump in there and hopefully grab a decent pistol. If not, meh didn't loose anything.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    A few things:

—CMP has been saying for a couple of years that they could never ship to C&R holders because the Army had cold feet about the whole deal. A lot of CYA on the Army side, and I guess I can’t blame them since they don’t stand to benefit from this. Still sucks though.

Just to be clear, the Army has no input on what, how or to whom the CMP ships firearms. The legislation requires the Army to transfer surplus 1911s to the CMP.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what will be offered. If I feel that its a good deal then I'm gonna jump in there and hopefully grab a decent pistol. If not, meh didn't loose anything.

I'd bet that if you wait that long, you won't have a chance. If you are even remotely considering one, you better sign up with an affilated club and be ready to jump in line when the notice comes out.

38super

Jan 8, 2016
    Montgomery County
    The reason these must be shipped to a FFL is due to each state having different laws and to keep them from being sued if someone gets a gun that should not have one and shoot's someone with it. I do not mind having it shipped to a FFL if I have a change of being in the running. I think that they will range from 650.00-950.00 for the lower grade's. I have several original GI 45's that I have bought over the years and would not mind having a rebuilt one from the CMP. 750.00 for a beater 1911 is worth that to me all day long.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The reason these must be shipped to a FFL is due to each state having different laws and to keep them from being sued if someone gets a gun that should not have one and shoot's someone with it. I do not mind having it shipped to a FFL if I have a change of being in the running. I think that they will range from 650.00-950.00 for the lower grade's. I have several original GI 45's that I have bought over the years and would not mind having a rebuilt one from the CMP. 750.00 for a beater 1911 is worth that to me all day long.

The states, most of them, have absolutely no say in whether the CMP can or cannot ship a 1911 directly to a C&R holder's front door.

This is purely a chickensh!t decision made by the folks at CMP. They don't feel like doing the legwork to see which states allow C&R and which states don't. Laziness!

They would have the law, 100%, on their side if they shipped these guns using federal Curio and Relic regulations.

They've chosen not to. Instead, they've chosen to blame their poor decision making skills on the US Army.

Orlando

Per the Director of CMP:
    1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license. BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by a “store front” FFL dealer.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    don't get me wrong, I have already purchased a Garand through them. They already have all my paperwork. Like I said it would be nice to buy one if the opportunity arose.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Yeah this is disappointing on many levels. Let my first expire, got another one just because occasionally it comes in handy for a purchase and finally a C&R worthy purchase if there ever was one and DENIED!!!! :mad54::tdown::sad20:
    so many emotions.....

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    It's been beat to death already, but that's total horse poop that they are not C&R eligible. Just because some states (looking at you California) are overzealous with their gun laws...

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    If you’ve got a C&R and you want an M1911, why not just buy one now? There are plenty of them out there and it sounds like CMP won’t be much cheaper.

While the frames are WWII or earlier, the military contracted out parts until the 1980s. There is no telling what parts CMP will use to make these pistols functional. Some of us still use NOS parts to build new pistols.

If you do your homework you can buy an all correct R-R or Ithaca for around $2000. If you just want a mixmaster those can be had for $1000-1200.

Researching the history of these guns, learning about how they were made, and having one shipped to your door now is a lot more fun than complaining about the CMP (though I’ve done my fair share of complaining).

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    If you’ve got a C&R and you want an M1911, why not just buy one now? There are plenty of them out there and it sounds like CMP won’t be much cheaper.

While the frames are WWII or earlier, the military contracted out parts until the 1980s. There is no telling what parts CMP will use to make these pistols functional. Some of us still use NOS parts to build new pistols.

If you do your homework you can buy an all correct R-R or Ithaca for around $2000. If you just want a mixmaster those can be had for $1000-1200.

Researching the history of these guns, learning about how they were made, and having one shipped to your door now is a lot more fun than complaining about the CMP (though I’ve done my fair share of complaining).
    Great advice. Unfortunately for me, my love for milsurp and historically significant firearms came too late to really take advantage of the sales aspect of the CMP's mission. Part of what I love about old firearms is going into a shop and finding one that "speaks" to me (metaphorically of course!). I have plenty of guns I have bought online, but I would really like to pick out an M1 garand and/or WWI/II 1911 in person. It's silly, but I want American milsurps that have a good bit of character and ideally an interesting history, even if they aren't in perfect shape. Shootable condition would be nice. It's unfortunate I don't have the options a lot of you older and wiser folk did.

Not blaming CMP for the 1911 situation, but it just doesn't seem like much fun to me. I'll let other people fight over the first few batches and see where things are in a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom