• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Not to derail the thread but what app or software do you use to measure groups like that. I try to use my calipers but I know I'm not holding them right. Could you post what this group is or pm me?

OnTarget is the name of the app I use. IIRC, it was a free download for the version I'm using.

And assuming a 100 yard distance, only inputting 4 shots (that I could cleanly identify), here's what the app spit out.

steves1911.jpg

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Yuck. Badger will have it back to you in one week.

I had mine back in my hands for more than 2 weeks before the check cleared my bank. They don't wait, they get the job done and have it back to you in superhuman speed.

+ 100 for the Badger O bolt handle.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    20" is the shortest I'd ever go on a .308. I never understood the short barrel rifles....you're not battling in a house with that thing. That's what shotguns are for

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The barrel length is not an accuracy issue, it is a velocity issue. And if you want to shoot long range (over 600 yards) you want all the velocity you can get. I left my barrel at something like 26" (whatever was stock). Even with a suppressor, it is usable. Unless you are going to carry it around a lot, longer is better (for velocity).

Many choices in stocks. I suggest you try to get behind any you are interested in before buying. I ended up with a Manners T-4A with mini chassis.

Timeny single stage trigger is nice and not very expensive. I may consider trying the Timney 2 stage, as I prefer a 2 stage trigger.

For scope, I like Vortex. What are you going to be doing? If long range shooting, the Viper PST is very nice for the price. Bushnell also makes some nice scopes in the not hugely expensive range.

For bolt knob, I sent my bolt off to Short Action Customs. They drill and tap the shaft of the handle and Loctite in a threaded rod to reinforce it. Then add the smooth bolt knob. About a week door to door.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    The barrel length is not an accuracy issue, it is a velocity issue. And if you want to shoot long range (over 600 yards) you want all the velocity you can get. I left my barrel at something like 26" (whatever was stock). Even with a suppressor, it is usable. Unless you are going to carry it around a lot, longer is better (for velocity).

Many choices in stocks. I suggest you try to get behind any you are interested in before buying. I ended up with a Manners T-4A with mini chassis.

Timeny single stage trigger is nice and not very expensive. I may consider trying the Timney 2 stage, as I prefer a 2 stage trigger.

For scope, I like Vortex. What are you going to be doing? If long range shooting, the Viper PST is very nice for the price. Bushnell also makes some nice scopes in the not hugely expensive range.

For bolt knob, I sent my bolt off to Short Action Customs. They drill and tap the shaft of the handle and Loctite in a threaded rod to reinforce it. Then add the smooth bolt knob. About a week door to door.

Thanks. I decided to leave the barrel at 20" and just thread it. I found a pretty good black friday deal on the Magpul hunter stock and bottom "metal". I definitely plan on getting the bolt knob done. As for the scope, I'm waiting to sell my Leupold 3-9 before looking into a new one. I'm looking at the Vortex HSL 4-16 and a few others. I'm going to head over to my LGS and look through a few before deciding. Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom