• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Picked this one up the other day, it's a 1954 Winchester Model 12 3" magnum otherwise known as the Heavy Duck.
    Designed for waterfowl hunting, length of pull at 13.5" to compensate for heavy clothing,lead weight in the butt to balance the heavy barrel perfectly, balances right at the joint, I like a heavy gun so should be interesting to see how it does on the sporting clays range. Fixed full choke that by many accounts is the best choke ever machined into a barrel ever.
    I have been looking for a shooter and most I have found have been overpriced or very poor condition, saw this one at the last minute on Gunbroker and price was still low, knew by the pics it had been refinished which kills its collectors value but the work looked like it had been done very well so I rolled the dice.
    Whoever did the refinish did a masterful job, bluing is excellent with little rounding of the corners and they protected all the markings and serial numbers. Wood was refinished better than most, unfortunately it has picked up a couple dings since the work was done. Gun is very tight and appears to have been brought back to like new.
    Other forum members that have shot with me know I am addicted to these guns, nothing like getting a simo pair on the clays range with a vintage American pump gun or now with this gun maybe a goose or 2.

Attachments

• DSCN1003.jpg
      DSCN1003.jpg
      51 KB · Views: 560
    • DSCN1004.jpg
      DSCN1004.jpg
      46.2 KB · Views: 609
    • DSCN1005.jpg
      DSCN1005.jpg
      41.9 KB · Views: 460
    • DSCN1008.jpg
      DSCN1008.jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 403

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    You need to drag that thing out with me next Fall. I'm planning on a goose grand slam with LC Smiths. I have a 12, 16 and 20..... need to find a .410 that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Perhaps you could do it with M12s.

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    Beauty. I wish the bluing on my Model 12 looked that good. I was talking to one of the old timers at our club a few weeks ago who owns about 15 model 12's (along with a couple of K guns) and he said if someone tried to make a 12 gauge pump today like the Model 12's were made, they would cost $5k-$8k. They just don't make them like that anymore. Should be a goose killing machine.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Beautiful Model 12, Augie! The Winchester Model 12 is on my shotgun wanted list. I've seen lots of old photos at Loch Raven of guys with them. I'd like a trap version with the classic Cutts Compensator.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Beautiful Model 12, Augie! The Winchester Model 12 is on my shotgun wanted list. I've seen lots of old photos at Loch Raven of guys with them. I'd like a trap version with the classic Cutts Compensator.

I have been looking for a while and found that they are as scarce as hen's teeth if you want an unmolested one in good shape. I would settle for a Remington 31 trap also.
    Circleshooter, if you find a cache of them let me know and we'll do a group buy:lol2::)

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Just saw a beauty on trapshooters.com $1395.
    A little rich I think.
    http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/message.cfm?messageid=1260424

That one went pretty quick, was a nice late gun, last of the original Model 12's before the Y model. I thought it was a little high also but still went fast.

Circleshooter, some of the Model 12 Skeet guns came from the factory with the Cutts on them, if they came from the factory there will be no choke marking on the barrel. Kicking myself as I found an original Skeet Cutts gun a couple months ago and let it get away.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    You need to drag that thing out with me next Fall. I'm planning on a goose grand slam with LC Smiths. I have a 12, 16 and 20..... need to find a .410 that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Perhaps you could do it with M12s.

Yea, thats what this gun was made for, took it out to the Trap range yesterday and broke 25 first time shooting it, typical for me with these guns,
    Good luck on finding a reasonably priced 410 LC, don't think I've ever seen one for under 4k except for one basket case that would have taken 4k to fix.
    That goose grand slam with LC's sounds like a lot of fun, good luck! I've been watching this 12 gauge 32" LC Specialty Grade LC for some time now, should make a good classic goose gun,

http://www.pugsguns.com/findItem.action?id=1950

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom