• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    So, I am a lucky guy. A buddy of mine has a nice big farm in West (by god) Virginia. This fall we are planning on going out there to hunt deer. Should be awesome.

He got run over by a deer while driving home from work last week. The deer kicked him in the head, so we are going for a little revenge this fall.

I have never hunted in my life, so I need some advice.

In preparation for this fall, I gather we should scout the area.

What exactly am I scouting for? What identifies a good spot?

Thanks!
    Rob

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    Look for turkeys, Turkeys have a great sense of sight and deer have good smelling and hearing senses . The two will use each others strengths to better survive. So if you see a turkey know that a deer will be coming around shortly. Also if it looks like a place you would like to set up an encampment then it will be a place deer would likely to be at. Like any animal they are going to want food and water relatively close to them. Keep an eye out for fruit trees , grass and slow moving water. Avoid giving off what I would call man sign at any cost. Sight, Sound , and Smell discipline is going to be very important. Other then that I will say good luck and enjoy the hunt.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    What you are looking for is a place to intercept them. They move around as they feed and bed down. You want to predict a spot where they will be traveling. Odds are it will be brushy as they feel more secure with cover around them. You should see poop and trails to indicate where they have been. That said, where they are now is not necessarily where they will be in November. You also need a spot to be in where you can see and shoot, but not be scented and hopefully where you will have some concealment.

Alternatively, you can bait in WV, so you can create a hunting area.

Don't procrastinate on getting your hunter safety course.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Deer hunting for meet is rather easy nowadays. As already mentioned, the deer generally feed at night (they have better night vision than us humans. Has to do with them having way more cones in their eyes than we do). Usually, they will feed in some type of crop field if one is available. Otherwise, look for areas with fruit trees or acorns (i.e., oak trees).

Also, as already mentioned the deer will actually leave trails in the brush from their travels. You can actually see these trails running across roads in areas that are heavily populated with deer. One such area is Seneca Creek Park.

If you are rifle hunting, or even shotgun hunting, scent control isn't that big of a deal unless your shots are going to be close to you. If you are bow hunting, scent control makes a huge difference. Much easier to hunt a property after you have hunted it a couple of times and gotten a feel for what, if anything, is there.

Plenty of time between now and then for you to do tons of reading on the subject.

Good luck.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Deer hunting for meet is rather easy nowadays. As already mentioned, the deer generally feed at night (they have better night vision than us humans. Has to do with them having way more cones in their eyes than we do). Usually, they will feed in some type of crop field if one is available. Otherwise, look for areas with fruit trees or acorns (i.e., oak trees).

Also, as already mentioned the deer will actually leave trails in the brush from their travels. You can actually see these trails running across roads in areas that are heavily populated with deer. One such area is Seneca Creek Park.

If you are rifle hunting, or even shotgun hunting, scent control isn't that big of a deal unless your shots are going to be close to you. If you are bow hunting, scent control makes a huge difference. Much easier to hunt a property after you have hunted it a couple of times and gotten a feel for what, if anything, is there.

Plenty of time between now and then for you to do tons of reading on the subject.

Good luck.

:thumbsup: Great advice.

One comment though: "rod" cells are almost entirely responsible for night vision.

OP, in addition to fabsroman's advice, recommend you study up on wild game care/pre-processing in the field. This knowledge is prerequisite for ethical hunting and aside from safety, second only to shot placement, IMO.

Good luck!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    :thumbsup: Great advice.

One comment though: "rod" cells are almost entirely responsible for night vision.

OP, in addition to fabsroman's advice, recommend you study up on wild game care/pre-processing in the field. This knowledge is prerequisite for ethical hunting and aside from safety, second only to shot placement, IMO.

Good luck!

That is correct, it is rods for night vision and I believe cones for daylight vision. I need some rod brain cells so I can think straight late at night.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Look for them to come out of the woods into fields just before sunset. They'll be close to the tree line.

jplum

Feb 3, 2008
    So, I am a lucky guy. A buddy of mine has a nice big farm in West (by god) Virginia. This fall we are planning on going out there to hunt deer. Should be awesome. He got run over by a deer while driving home from work last week. The deer kicked him in the head, so we are going for a little revenge this fall. I have never hunted in my life, so I need some advice. In preparation for this fall, I gather we should scout the area. What exactly am I scouting for? What identifies a good spot? Thanks! Rob

Use something like google maps and topo maps to find choke points. Look for places the terrain and cover provide an easy and secure point of cover for the deer. You may see places where several fence rows meet near a low spot in the terrain. If you have a trail camera, set one up near the choke point soon. If there is a lot of sign or the camera shows high traffic, setup a stand on the down wind side of the prevailing wind. Pay attention to the sun too. If possible have the sun at your side. You don't want to be staring into the morning sun or having it high light you. Setup the stand sight as soon as possible. Then stay away from it. That is the hard part. :-)

And sight in your deer rifle. Practice off the bench too. If you can, go to a Project Appleseed shoot. You will practice form different positions and the timer will help simulate the stress from buck fever. Had to sneak in a plug for Project Appleseed.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I can't recommend trying the brown jelly beans, but they are a great indicator of where Bambi is hanging out.

If you are going to blind hunt, build your blind NOW. It will give Bambi plenty of time to get used to it.

Make it look as real as you can. Use surrounding sticks, limbs, grasses, vegetation, vines, dried brush etc.

Keep stinky man-made products like paint, pvc cement, construction adhesive, etc. to a minimum.

Burlap really sticks, so get it out and up NOW as well so it can air out.

Good luck.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    So, I am a lucky guy. A buddy of mine has a nice big farm in West (by god) Virginia. This fall we are planning on going out there to hunt deer. Should be awesome.

He got run over by a deer while driving home from work last week. The deer kicked him in the head, so we are going for a little revenge this fall.

I have never hunted in my life, so I need some advice.

In preparation for this fall, I gather we should scout the area.

What exactly am I scouting for? What identifies a good spot?

Thanks!
    Rob

Do you have your hunters ed taken care of? Take the TX 100% online if you havent taken hunters ed. As the year progresses the field day and class get filled before hunting season. What are you shooting...bow or rifle, shotgun?

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Most of the time the wind comes from the West and North.Once you find where the deer travel try to pick a stand where the wind will take your scent away from them.I think this is the most important thing to remember.No other tactic or amount of deer on the property will mean squat if they can smell you.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    CHOOT'EM :lol2:
    Take me huntin' wiff ya' an' in early November I'll show you and him what yoo's'all need to know. :D

Lol, you'll need one of those all terrain scooters if you take ole Lou with you. :innocent0

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Most of the time the wind comes from the West and North.Once you find where the deer travel try to pick a stand where the wind will take your scent away from them.I think this is the most important thing to remember.No other tactic or amount of deer on the property will mean squat if they can smell you.

true...to add to that movement and sound also can kill your hunt. For scent Im going to try the Ozonics...I dont know if its just hype or what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom