• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    So as i learn more and more about my rifles, I find more and more that they are messed up. More so just not built well. In my case its just lack of experience. But I am learning. So i am pretty sure the stake job on my bcg is no good. Now i have not had any problems and i know the rule is " don't fix it unless its broken". But i don't want it to break...So my thought is to get a new gas key...a nickle one with new screws and the tool to do the job right.

So my question is...Do i use a sealant between the carrier and the gas key?
    I have a Spikes BCG in Nickle Boron. Also can i just get any key of good guilty as long as its another Nickle Boron? I posted some links to the key and tool i want to use!

Tool
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...5-m16-carrier-key-staking-tool-prod29337.aspx

Gas key
    http://www.failzero.com/products/components/gas-key-detail.html

Also i learned i should have a staked castle nut too on my buffer tube and I do not. I have a BCM Tube and new nut... So what should be the torque Spec. and how is that staked? Is it just a matter of pushing metal into one of the inner notches?

Attachments

• 20190210_013025.jpg
      20190210_013025.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 450

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I have seen worse stakes. Many manufacturers IMHO overstake, the stake should stop the screw from backing out. Witht he the stake you have you could salvage the key. On a side note NiB key really is not needed. If you have to go NiB the Bolt carrier is the only part that needs the coating everywhere else makes little contact.

there is no gasket and there is a good possibility that your BCG has no NiB under the gas Key. IMHO if you are worried your screws are going to back out, mark them with a light stake or scratch a mark and keep track to see what they do after each range trip.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    First, get rid of those YFS gas key screws. They're junk. Second, seal the interface between gas key and bolt carrier with Locktite 620 and torque the screws to 58 inch/lbs. Lastly, properly stake the gas key.

If you have a fine sharpening stone, it would be a good idea to stone the gas key's bearing surface flat before sealing it to the carrier.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    OK yes I have seen that the YFS screws are junk. I have Locktite 620.
    So in my case would it be a matter of just replacing the screws and re-staking... Or should I start with a new gas key as well. Or is that the purpose of the shaping stone.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    As long as the gas tube flange isn't jacked up, you can re-use the gas key. Running it over a fine sharpening stone evens it up and trues the surface a bit more.

I think the Army actually uses a permatex gasket sealer but the Loctite 620
    will be fine.

I have the same staking tool and, while it does work, if I was to do it over again, I'd buy the MOACK style from Michigan Guns.

http://www.m-guns.com/tool_new.php?product=moacks

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OP can reuse his gas key as long as it is sound.

Permatex doesn't set hard like 620 and can tend to blow out.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Very good. I have a new key and screws coming from BCM and the tool from Brownells.
    The BCM key is not NiC Boron but as stated it does not need to be.
    So I am going to give this a shot but it looks like no big deal now. Thanks for the help guys.
    As for torque spec 50 in lbs sound good?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Very good. I have a new key and screws coming from BCM and the tool from Brownells.
    The BCM key is not NiC Boron but as stated it does not need to be.
    So I am going to give this a shot but it looks like no big deal now. Thanks for the help guys.
    As for torque spec 50 in lbs sound good?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Is the new key chrome lined? It should be.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I think the Army actually uses a permatex gasket sealer but the Loctite 620
    will be fine.

The manual back in M16A1 days used to say Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket that you can buy at Autozone or Advance Auto.
    Technology marches on: High temp Rockset or Loctite 620 seal better and last longer. We aren't stuck with what the Gov & Colt chose 40 or 50 years ago.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    My AR brothers got this.

Was this our final exam? Kinda funny that an issue from class was posted on the very same day:innocent0

I knew exactly what had to be done...just didn't get to post it in time. :shrug:

But, what the heck, Outrider?!?! Looking at the timestamp, you were posting from class! Isn't that cheating? :nono:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Was this our final exam? Kinda funny that an issue from class was posted on the very same day:innocent0

I knew exactly what had to be done...just didn't get to post it in time. :shrug:

But, what the heck, Outrider?!?! Looking at the timestamp, you were posting from class! Isn't that cheating? :nono:

:)

Outrider can multitask. ;)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

:)

Outrider can multitask. ;)

:lol2:

A real Renaissance man, eh???

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04