• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    When the Maryland 2017-2018 hunting regulations will be available in July, get a copy! Pay particular attention to the florescent Orange requirements.

Landowners will no longer be exempt from wearing florescent orange. That also means the usage of florescent orange to mark ground blinds.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So the apprentice hunters do not plug you. ;)

Really, and truly. If you are not hunting, you do not have a requirement for florescent orange. Kicking poachers and trespassers off your property is not hunting.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Wasn't thinking about apprentice hunters.:o When I had land that I hunted, I knew I was the only one there unless someone was trespassing.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    So the apprentice hunters do not plug you. ;)

Really, and truly. If you are not hunting, you do not have a requirement for florescent orange. Kicking poachers and trespassers off your property is not hunting.

If you do it right it COULD BE....

I'm just saying.........

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Apprentice hunters would be my guess.

From what I understand, apprentice hunters will need to go through a rudimentary hunter safety course online. Hunting safety 101 stuff = do not shoot fluorescent orange.

Even though your situation may not warrant. Lets say a landowner is driving deer for his buddy and his boy (apprentice license holder). From my basic understanding, it's about mitigating potential risks.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Might help someone out, I can see the first step to apprenticeship in a lot of cases is how to get as close to the property line when you can and get them coming off the field (deer). Its the adults you have to worry about not the kids. I see it every year. They should have just proposed Blaze must be worn all the time. When going to the tractor shed, checking the irrigation pivot, brushing a blind, picking up dead chickens or whatever. Standing outside your house. Its a feel good measure that has some merit but hazard mitigation would be having to be able to demonstrate a little more proficiency with a weapon or demonstrate a better decision making process.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Apprentice hunters would be my guess.

From what I understand, apprentice hunters will need to go through a rudimentary hunter safety course online. Hunting safety 101 stuff = do not shoot fluorescent orange.

Even though your situation may not warrant. Lets say a landowner is driving deer for his buddy and his boy (apprentice license holder). From my basic understanding, it's about mitigating potential risks.
    Yeah, but why can't this be a choice?

(Rhetorical, not directed at you, but assuming you are correctly divining motivation)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What about varmit control? I assume that isn't considered hunting on your own property. I know plenty of guys who keep a 22lr or even a .223 on the roof of their tractor to take care of ground hogs while mowing, doing chores with it, etc. same thing with taking walks on their property.

I guess keep a rolled up orange hat in your pocket or tucked with the rifle. See hedge pig, pull on hat, pull down rifle.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Can you tell us what the orange requirement is for blinds? This is going to be a PIA to implement on my blind and I can see the assholes who trespass being vindictive since they will be able to see the blind from a distance now. Of course it is probably the same assholes who stole the tree stand and camera...

Does the orange requirement now require for other types of hunting? Hopefully not predator hunting, you'd never shoot another coyote again when calling.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    loss-of-liberty.jpg

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Can you tell us what the orange requirement is for blinds? This is going to be a PIA to implement on my blind and I can see the assholes who trespass being vindictive since they will be able to see the blind from a distance now. Of course it is probably the same assholes who stole the tree stand and camera...

Does the orange requirement now require for other types of hunting? Hopefully not predator hunting, you'd never shoot another coyote again when calling.

The current rules for a ground blind:
    Persons required to wear fluorescent orange that hunt from a ground blind that has four sides, a top, and is placed 4 feet or less above the ground must display, on or within 25 feet of the blind, a cap of solid fluorescent orange color or a panel, band, strip, or garment containing at least 250 square inches (approximately 16” x 16”) of solid fluorescent orange color.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/fluorescent-orange/

As for the other question of when it applies, lets check the regs when they come out. I think only the landowner exemption for orange is removed, while everything else pretty much stays the same.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, but why can't this be a choice?

(Rhetorical, not directed at you, but assuming you are correctly divining motivation)

Yep, just like the choice to wear a seatbelt, the choice to wear a motorcycle helmet, the choice to let kids wear a bicycle helmet. It should be the same for landowners. They should have the same choice. Oh yeah, the law mandates that seatbelts, motorcycle helmets, and child bicycle helmets be worn.

Landowners wearing orange makes complete sense to me if they are out hunting their land. There could be hunters on neighboring property and it just makes it a lot easier to see where somebody is on the ground and not shoot that way. When I hunt during deer season, I wear blaze orange from head to toe and it doesn't seem to impair my ability to kill deer. Upland game hunting, I just wear a blaze orange Columbia parka and a blaze orange Beretta hat. I've seen what guns do to animals, and I have no desire to have that happen to me.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Yep, just like the choice to wear a seatbelt, the choice to wear a motorcycle helmet, the choice to let kids wear a bicycle helmet. It should be the same for landowners. They should have the same choice. Oh yeah, the law mandates that seatbelts, motorcycle helmets, and child bicycle helmets be worn.

The examples aren't necessarily equivalents of course. Children helmet laws on public roads ... I don't have a problem with. Do seat belt laws reach into one's driveway/property? This, I honestly don't know. For adult landowners on their own property, I don't like the state mandating they must wear orange if hunting. Aren't they just as vulnerable walking their property during hunting season (but not personally hunting) by the same logic? People, depending on the size of their property, proximity to neighbors, should be able to make their own determination vs the nanny state. (and I'm someone who wears an orange cap when on the grounds of my Izaak Walton range during the fall)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The examples aren't necessarily equivalents of course. Children helmet laws on public roads ... I don't have a problem with. Do seat belt laws reach into one's driveway/property? This, I honestly don't know. For adult landowners on their own property, I don't like the state mandating they must wear orange if hunting. Aren't they just as vulnerable walking their property during hunting season (but not personally hunting) by the same logic? People, depending on the size of their property, proximity to neighbors, should be able to make their own determination vs the nanny state. (and I'm someone who wears an orange cap when on the grounds of my Izaak Walton range during the fall)

Yes, they run the same risk being out on their property during deer season even when they are not hunting. Maybe a little less risk because they could possibly be hunting with others while out hunting on their property. However, the state must take baby steps. Mandated hunter orange while hunting. Then, mandated hunter orange while out on your property during hunting season in a rural area. Honestly, they should mandate that people riding horses during hunting season wear hunter orange. Way too easy for some idiot to shoot a horse out walking in the woods. I'm glad it has not happened.

Why are you alright with mandatory helmet laws, mandatory seat belt laws, etc? Should a person have the right to live and die as they see fit? That is freedom. Of course, there is the social issue of how much it costs to treat them after they are ejected through the window, etc. Same argument for illicit drugs. The government knows best. Cripes, those AR-15 rifles are dangerous too.

I wonder how many people actually know and follow the law on child car seats? I also know a 5 year old boy that died while riding a bicycle because he was not wearing a helmet. It is a shame. Tough to enforce the law 24/7. Tough enough just trying to ensure that everybody knows what the law is.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Didn't say that I agreed with seatbelt laws. Child helmet laws, if applying to kids on public streets, I am more sympathetic to the argument.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Didn't say that I agreed with seatbelt laws. Child helmet laws, if applying to kids on public streets, I am more sympathetic to the argument.

Yeah, I am more sympathetic to the child helmet laws too. The question is, should I be? Should parents be required by law to make their children wear bicycle helmets? I am not saying it is a bad idea. Heck, my kids wear helmets whenever they are on their bikes, even in our backyard. I wear a helmet almost all the time when I am out riding. Only exception is when I hop on the bike to take it up the driveway and maybe up our local street for a test ride. I was wearing a seatbelt before it was the law. We adhere to the pediatric guidelines regarding child seats, which are more stringent than Maryland law.

The big question is, should the government be regulating so much minutia in our lives?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I think we both don't want the government to do this, but in the public sphere children do not have the same liberties and rights that adults do, especially when outside the care of guardians (e.g. biking on their own on public streets). Perhaps offering a small tax incentive to encourage parents to buy helmets would be better than legislating a requirement. I have to confess that I enjoy the liberty of not having to strap the kids into safety belts when traveling overseas where the laws are different (95% of the time we do, even when laws don't require).

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    The big question is, should the government be regulating so much minutia in our lives?

A bigger question is how the state gets the authority to tell a free person what to wear on private property. Is there no end to this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom