Let's Talk 762 Cans for a minute.. which one would you get?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    The Surge is a really good can from a really good company. You can't go wrong there. Excellent suppression (long), different lengths, good warranty, durable, etc - logs of positives. It's a great overall can. Again back to that balance of things, the weight and length are the negatives however if you want good suppression - it is what it is. The titanium cans are lighter - but the Surge is meant to be a durable, quiet, adaptable can. Personally, I like cans which allow you to change end caps. Also, if you start picking up a number of cans, one thing that starts to give pause is the mount. I wish folks standardize is the muzzle device so you could switch between manufacturers - and you see that a little with DA supporting SiCo...

Disclaimer - I don't have a Surge but I do have an Obsidian.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    The Surge is a really good can from a really good company. You can't go wrong there. Excellent suppression (long), different lengths, good warranty, durable, etc - logs of positives. It's a great overall can. Again back to that balance of things, the weight and length are the negatives however if you want good suppression - it is what it is. The titanium cans are lighter - but the Surge is meant to be a durable, quiet, adaptable can. Personally, I like cans which allow you to change end caps. Also, if you start picking up a number of cans, one thing that starts to give pause is the mount. I wish folks standardize is the muzzle device so you could switch between manufacturers - and you see that a little with DA supporting SiCo...

Disclaimer - I don't have a Surge but I do have an Obsidian.

Thanks!

I am picking up my obsession 45 Tuesday most likely, the stamps in but I am jammed up busy!

The surge is next on my list , should cover me from 556 to 30 cal

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    How does a rugged 7.62 surge rate with you gentlemen?

The Surge is a great can. I've owned one for a couple of years now. I run it on .300BLK and 5.56 SBRs and it's great on both of them. It's built like an absolute tank, the mounts are really solid (and the Rugged brake works great as a brake if you shoot without the can on), and it gives good suppression as well.

I actually like it better in short config on my SBRs because of weight and feel, but it works well either way around.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    I'll just toss this in here. Look at Yankee Hill Machine company suppressor line up. Quick connect set up is available so you can move from one guys to another easily. They have titanium available also.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    The Surge is a great can. I've owned one for a couple of years now. I run it on .300BLK and 5.56 SBRs and it's great on both of them. It's built like an absolute tank, the mounts are really solid (and the Rugged brake works great as a brake if you shoot without the can on), and it gives good suppression as well.

I actually like it better in short config on my SBRs because of weight and feel, but it works well either way around.

Curious, how much quieter is the full size surge with .300 subs compared to the short.

Thinking about getting a Surge one day. Have a micro30 now

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md

Thanks for the info!!

And if I read the rugged website correctly if I buy it by dec 14 their latest promotion gives you two comps and two mounts and two endcaps so you are completely set up for 556 and 30 cal so I gotta figure out how to order it!

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Thanks for the info!!

And if I read the rugged website correctly if I buy it by dec 14 their latest promotion gives you two comps and two mounts and two endcaps so you are completely set up for 556 and 30 cal so I gotta figure out how to order it!

Go to gym ratz and order it he is a silencer shop dealer.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Go to gym ratz and order it he is a silencer shop dealer.

I am going there today to pick up my obsidian 45 as a matter of fact, I love that place

I gotta round up some extra scratch real quick for the surge but dr bills from this stupid cancer is cramping my buying right now lol

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Curious, how much quieter is the full size surge with .300 subs compared to the short.

That's a good question. I mostly shoot indoors these days because reasons, so I haven't had a good chance to test that out. There are probably videos out there with hard numbers.

Thanks for the info!!

Yes. That's a nice savings - I think I paid about $70 for my second brake, and the endcaps aren't free either, though I just leave the .30 endcap on mine all the time. It's not that different noise wise according to the internets, and that way I also don't ever run the chance of making an expensive mistake. Rugged has a flash can thingy that goes on their mounts now too, and I'd like one for my 5.56 rifle when I run it unsuppressed, but they're not cheap.

I am going there today to pick up my obsidian 45 as a matter of fact, I love that place

I'd probably buy it there then. They seem to have good prices.

I gotta round up some extra scratch real quick for the surge but dr bills from this stupid cancer is cramping my buying right now lol

Sorry to hear that. I'm a cancer survivor myself, so been there and done that. It's no fun.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Anyone have info regarding the Surefire SOCOM for 300AAC?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Did you confirm there is no POI shift once you tested it out yourself?

I see about a 1 minute shift towards the 7-o’clock position with my Omega attached. I’ve shot a few strings with and without and it’s pretty consistent.

I always thought the POI shift was caused by the Suppressors mass changing the harmonics of the barrel. Do you know how the thunder beast works avoid poi shift?

Documented by a lot of people over on Sniper's Hide.

Someone even did a target with alternate shot suppressed and non-suppressed.

I have not gone back and forth, but I noticed no change in dope with it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I can confirm that SiCo's customer service has more or less recovered; had a couple things I needed to clear up with them over the past couple months, and it's worked out in a reasonable time frame.

ASR gets a lot of hate because it's not the latest and greatest, but it works fine if you take a couple seconds to confirm your can is screwed on correctly.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have a Griffin Optimus in ATF jail, but have high hopes for the can. It's basically a modular can with a 30cal blast baffle/chamber on a 9mm can with 9mm and 22 cal end caps, Taper QD, direct thread, booster, and 3 lug mounts in long, mid or short config, and 1 3/8" OD. Figure will be fun to try on a ton of stuff, then maybe pick up dedicated cans down the road if I want a little better performance in some calibers, it will work for 22LR, but will probably grab a far smaller/lighter dedicated can for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom