• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    As the title states, I'm starting to seriously consider whether or not I want to start acquiring parts (or a beater gun) and build myself a Garand in top-knotch condition. I've got a little experience now with repairing and assembling firearms myself but I'd like to know what exactly I am getting myself into.

The first question I have is simple. Should I acquire an already-built Garand and service it with any needed parts, or would it be more practical to acquire the parts I need one at a time? The goal is optimal performance here (FYI I plan to use a ported gas plug regardless of other parts).

My second question is just how much could each option cost? Presume I get the Garand pre-built from the CMP and service it up myself. Compare that with an assemblage of parts.

My final question is should I even bother and just buy one from a reputable builder? I love to put together firearms on my own, but one does have to take their own skills into account. I've (with help) pieced together a solid and accurate SKS that required hand-fiting but that's the limit of my experience.

So, what say yee MDS?

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    It all depends on your skill set. I can say it’s a great learning experience but make sure you do your homework. I highly recommend picking up a copy of: the m1 garand complete assembly guide by Walt Kuleck with Clint McKee.

Attachments

• AAED66CB-5297-44BD-A9F4-E4495DE2C7CF.jpg
      AAED66CB-5297-44BD-A9F4-E4495DE2C7CF.jpg
      81 KB · Views: 425

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Bitsing a rifle together gets expensive. I would buy two lessor grade rifles sift through the parts put one together and sell off what you your not happy with. Or then pick up what you need and sell the other rifle off as a whole. Familiarize yourself with the critical parts you need, select the better ones on initial buy and put it all together.
    Then you can swap back and forth and adjust rinse repeat as necessary.
    Barrels are plentiful from CMP and not difficult to install or just have them do it or another of your choice if you do not want to buy the tools. Which will add up quickly and just coerce you into more and more projects.

Orlando

a lot cheaper to buy a complete rifle than build
    If you are still wanting to tackle the project make sure the parts you are buying are all in spec
    I would sell you a complete Garand parts set but its very pricey. Many of the parts are NOS unissued, the rest are excellent condition

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Hold out and buy a CMP Service grade special when they are available again.

New Barrel

New Stock set.

All in spec parts

Built using a better condition receiver than the current "field grade" specials.

Building one from parts is a fools errand.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    As the title states, I'm starting to seriously consider whether or not I want to start acquiring parts (or a beater gun) and build myself a Garand in top-knotch condition. I've got a little experience now with repairing and assembling firearms myself but I'd like to know what exactly I am getting myself into.
    So, what say yee MDS?

Why not take the CMP build class?

If you "seriously" want to build a great shooting Garand from parts, then (as DA suggests) try to get into a CMP AMC class. There is no better way to build one in top-notch condition. There you'll build a Garand correctly, part-by-part, with guidance from experts.

4570inMD and I attended one of the "Buddy Classes" last month. Here's a thread on our experience: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=217956

Being selected to attend a CMP AMC class is "luck of the draw". We signed up in November 2017 and got lucky. Here is the link to the 2018 class schedule:
    http://thecmp.org/training-tech/advanced-maintenance-class/

The CMP does not advertise the classes. My recommendation to all is to monitor the CMP website for the 2019 schedule which should be posted in November. Toss your hat in the ring!

The basic cost of the 2018 class was ~ $2,100: Class fees = $970 (Paid in January) + $1080 to build a CMP Special. Add travel costs, accommodations, meals, incidentals etc. and you're looking at maybe $5K per person. Keep that in mind.

Was it worth it to build a $5K Garand? Hell yes! It was the summer vacation of a lifetime! And I'd do it again if I could. :thumbsup:

OP, unless you really know what you're doing to build a Garand from parts, I'd recommend buying one, learning all it's parts and how they function together. Get good at that first and save yourself a lot of $'s...

;)

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Now if someone only made THAT in an 80%... :rolleyes:

there are some castings out there. Numrich had a bunch awhile back. I just posted up some of my 80% M1 Carbine castings in the C&R forum.

As an "experienced" builder, they are not easy to do. The heat treatment is going to be interesting for sure.

Make sure to grab a copy of The U.S. .30 Caliber Gas Operated Service Rifles: A Shop Manual, Volumes I & II by Jerry Kuhnhausen.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    super easy to build one, only holdup I cant do is mount barrel to receiver and headspace check the bolt. I don't have tools to do that. Everything else is easy as pie

Orlando

IMO there is a big difference between the two. Building is installing/timing the barrel, finish reame /headspace, and final assembly. Assembling is hanging parts on a rifle that has already had barrel installed and finish reamed.
    Someone with limited garand knowledge can assemble a rifle. It takes knowledge and experience to build a rifle

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom