• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    What bulls**t. Can't clean out my yard or basement and drop of the trash. This is insane.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Has it been closed this whole time? If not, it could be that someone contracted covid and all employee's are quarantined. If it has been closed the whole time and it still is, well then that is ridiculous.

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    I dropped stuff off about 6 weeks ago or so, they had less employees, but they were running... I wonder when/why they closed

... just checked out their site, seems they are not accepting yard trim right now, only garbage... time to bag yard stuff in trash bags :)

“ Yard Trim Recycling

NO residential yard trim drop-off is permitted.

Residents are encouraged to manage yard trim materials at home through grasscycling and backyard composting
    If you are not able to grasscycle or compost yard trim at home, please recycle yard trim materials through the County’s weekly curbside yard trim recycling collection program”

Punch84

Mar 29, 2009
    Carroll County
    Carroll County shut theirs down. Lasted a week and reopened with modified residential hours, due to complaints from the public from what I read.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    yup

I dropped stuff off about 6 weeks ago or so, they had less employees, but they were running... I wonder when/why they closed

... just checked out their site, seems they are not accepting yard trim right now, only garbage... time to bag yard stuff in trash bags :)

“ Yard Trim Recycling

Residents are encouraged to manage yard trim materials at home through grasscycling and backyard composting
    If you are not able to grasscycle or compost yard trim at home, please recycle yard trim materials through the County’s weekly curbside yard trim recycling collection program”

Funny, I go there at least once a week. With the lower number of staff, I still see them standing around. Nice people though. Problem is that if you have logs from a cut down tree, you have limits on diameter and weight of the bags.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    From what I understand they only accept trash from residents who do not have front of house pick-up. So since I have this service I can't drop off my trash. I copied the info below from the MoCo website. Underline by me for emphasis.

The Transfer Station is open ONLY to residents of Montgomery County, that do not have County-provided or private hauler curbside trash collection service.

NO Out-of-County waste is allowed
    Residents must provide proof of address
    Please ensure that household trash is properly bagged and that bags are tied-off--no loose materials please

The Public Unloading Facility is open ONLY to Montgomery County residents without curbside trash collection service, who may dispose of trash at the Public Unloading Facility.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    What bulls**t. Can't clean out my yard or basement and drop of the trash. This is insane.

Grab an old trash can or two, spray paint "Yard Trim" on one side, place at the curb on recycling day and you're good on the yard part. I never take stuff to the transfer station for the yard, I just do that and they come pick it up. Couple of cheap galvanized cans have probably paid for themselves in fuel savings on that end.

You can call 311 for large recyclable items to be picked up. Got rid of the old aerial that way as well as a fireplace grate, pokers, etc.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

“ Yard Trim Recycling

This guy is the problem: https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/exec/bio/marc_elrich.html

kookymonstir

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Leonard Md
    That's nuts. Here in Calvert, I just cut the yard waste up in small pieces and have a few backyard campfires. After a couple nights, the kids were happy from roasting marshmallows and hot dogs plus the yard waste is gone. win win.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    That's nuts. Here in Calvert, I just cut the yard waste up in small pieces and have a few backyard campfires. After a couple nights, the kids were happy from roasting marshmallows and hot dogs plus the yard waste is gone. win win.
    Here in Montgomery the fire department responds and orders you to put out the fire, claiming you can be cited for not having a permit. After several emails to the office of the fire chief, county environmental protection and county permitting, I finally received official documentation that a fire pit is perfectly legal in Montgomery County on private property. This post reminds me that I need to print and laminate it for the next time station 15 responds out and orders me to put it out.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Here in Montgomery the fire department responds and orders you to put out the fire, claiming you can be cited for not having a permit. After several emails to the office of the fire chief, county environmental protection and county permitting, I finally received official documentation that a fire pit is perfectly legal in Montgomery County on private property. This post reminds me that I need to print and laminate it for the next time station 15 responds out and orders me to put it out.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Darn coppers :D

tohit

Apr 28, 2020
    LOL I found out the hard way last week. I have logs from a tree I cut down, employee there said to dump them in woods because thats where trees come from. Okay

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Weird. They've been picking up my yard trim from the street, just like always. Since I'm home a lot now there has been lots of it.

tohit

Apr 28, 2020
    Weird. They've been picking up my yard trim from the street, just like always. Since I'm home a lot now there has been lots of it.

curbside is fine, they aren't allowing you to drop off large stuff (tree trunks, logs, etc) that they do not pick up curbside

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    HoCo had sent out a notice about not doing "spring cleanup", Heck, that reduces the honeyDo list doesn't it?
    Stupid cause with so many people working from home or out of work, why stop them from doing something constructive.
    IF they want less people at the landfill or less people to help customers , that's one thing but if I can back the thing up to the wall and dump it over, what should they care? What? not enough people to stand over my shoulder looking for me to dump tires or chemicals or something?
    Wait till they lift the restrictions and then get the flood of people and the line goes all the way out to Marriottsville RD. yea, like that is a good idea.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Has anyone tried going in the 355 entrance and seen what the reality on the ground is? Are they really being that harsh in person?

Yes I have and it's a cluster. You have to be a landscaper/contractor and bring "your papers" (LITERALLY what the lady told me) - meaning a contract from your customer verifying that you are doing contract work. Homeowners cannot dump trash or yard waste, but the recycling is open.
    Just about every vehicle was being turned around and sent back home. Infuriating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom