• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    You need a new room for your gun hobby ;)

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    D.M.P.E.R.24X7

It solves virtually all problems of complaining spouses.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I like the smell of Hopps #9, it brings back fond memories as a kid. Plain ol' CLP hardly has much of a smell, and FireClean almost has no smell (it oddly has a mild smell or cooking oil).

G96 is reported to have a very pleasant aroma, some describe it as candy, flowers, bubblegum, and Christmas. I don't recall ever using G96, but should check some out.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I'm a big fan of G96, and have used it for as long as I can remember. Can't say it's the best cleaner I've ever used, and I think there are better lubricants out there as well. But I wipe my guns down with it after cleaning. Same after handling, and a couple of times a year every year thereafter for every gun I own. Corrosion protection is where it fits best for me. Smells good too.

Lots of products get touted, and studied, and claimed to be the be all and end all for this and that. And everyone has their favorite. The one thing that I see as certain given today's maze of gun care products is that none of them work when not properly applied, or when not applied at all.

The biggest enemy of firearms is outright neglect. Few things sadder to me than a rusted gun.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Here is what I do...

I disassemble the guns inside...

And take the pieces outside to clean them...

I bring them back inside to oil & re-assemble them...

Its simple & it works...

I forgot to mention: KEEP ALL THE RAGS & PATCHES OUTSIDE, do not bring them inside...

Last edited:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I used either Slip 2000 degreaser/cleaner or another water soluble cleaner. There are a few good ones on the market. You can mix one up with water and Simple Green too... they have no smell, clean up nicely and don't cause cancer. I switched over years ago, thought I would hate it but now its all I use.

Be careful using simple green. The normal cleaner will eat away at aluminum.

BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    I'm not sure if this is satire or serious. Dry firing at the TV? Someday you are going to screw up and put a bullet through the TV. Then you'll have REAL marriage problems.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Have a spray bottle of Frebreeze handy or a dab of Vick's under her nostrils. Works to impede the odor of rotting flesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom