• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I had a Winchester that someone sporterized..... drilled and tapped, removed the ugly ears and nice wood. Overall a pretty good job. I put glass on it, great shooter and STRONG. Bought it right, GREAT rifle but I sold it so I could buy my Mod 70. :shrug: I care little if I cut something up that there are plenty of for fun and profit. Bought a Jap 7 last week and tripled my money.... it's not like it's a Garand, Johnson or even a Springfield. :)

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I had a Winchester that someone sporterized..... drilled and tapped, removed the ugly ears and nice wood. Overall a pretty good job. I put glass on it, great shooter and STRONG. Bought it right, GREAT rifle but I sold it so I could buy my Mod 70. :shrug: I care little if I cut something up that there are plenty of for fun and profit. Bought a Jap 7 last week and tripled my money.... it's not like it's a Garand, Johnson or even a Springfield. :)

Not that I would willingly chop a 1917 (even though I prefer 03A3's :innocent0) at least you said you wouldn't harm an M1 :o

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Not that I would willingly chop a 1917 (even though I prefer 03A3's :innocent0) at least you said you wouldn't harm an M1 :o

Nope, since I actually used one in the military and they're something "special" from looks to the mechanics. Besides, what could the average Joe do to them anyway? Garands look stupid outside of intended form. Remington made a "sporter" 1917.......... in the Mod 30.... and another improved model after that I think. They actually made sense using a strong action.

DSCN2552.jpg

Huasopodrido

Aug 12, 2014
    Model 1917 Winchester

Got this one from a friend 20+years ago. It is a fine shooting weapon. Has a nice low serial #.

Attachments

• IMG_20200413_121532.jpg
      IMG_20200413_121532.jpg
      188.9 KB · Views: 294
    • 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200413121603188_COVER.jpg
      00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200413121603188_COVER.jpg
      107.6 KB · Views: 271

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Here's one you dont see everyday. Handles great. Much more comfortable than a standard length rifle. Too rare to shoot but still my favorite. It was cut down in the ishapore factory for a chinese x-force soldier for the Burma theatre in ww2. The chinese actually led the way as US allies in burma against the Japanese. About 90% of the chinese died, mostly of a sickness going around at that time and place. If i remember right its about 5" shorter than a standard 1917. 2.5" off the buttstock and 2.5" off the barrel.

Attachments

• 20171107_190353.jpg
      20171107_190353.jpg
      98.7 KB · Views: 251

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Got this one from a friend 20+years ago. It is a fine shooting weapon. Has a nice low serial #.

Beautiful...I have a real pretty Winny very
    close in # to yours...functions smooth as
    silk, points real nice. Currently in storage following a house fire.

What is the barrel date on yours, if I may
    ask, and are all the parts Winchester (W)?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Over a period of time I picked up a few M17 and P14 rifles.
    I have a W marked rifle with a pretty low serial, a pretty clean Eddystone with no rebuild marks and one with this stamp that I could never figure out what it meant or who applied it.

Maybe someone here knows?

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Can someone 'splain why the rear sight leans forward in the ladder mode or what ever it's called?

Born on dates if rebarreled.
    https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=18172

Probably because the rear bridge of the rifle is so high. The little lean forward makes the front sight base come up to level the rifle.
    Crawling the rear sight with a ball cap on can push it even farther forward unbeknownst to the shooter sometimes.

Huasopodrido

Aug 12, 2014
    Model 1917 Winchester

Beautiful...I have a real pretty Winny very
    close in # to yours...functions smooth as
    silk, points real nice. Currently in storage following a house fire.

What is the barrel date on yours, if I may
    ask, and are all the parts Winchester (W)?

I will have to check the rifle for that information, will get back to you asap

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    oldcarjunkie,
    those do look purdy!

I also have a Winchester M1917

I tell you what, when you run out of ammo and if you can't find your bayo, these make a hefty club!

When my son asks me what I have to shoot, I just say "lost battalion"

When I was on the hunt, I was combing the gun shows and a bunch of what I saw the wood did not match well between the main stock and the top handguard. I know these when through refurbs but I was having bad luck. Ruger's Lugers once again turned me on to a nice early 1918 dated Winchester.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    oldcarjunkie,
    those do look purdy!

I also have a Winchester M1917

I tell you what, when you run out of ammo and if you can't find your bayo, these make a hefty club!

When my son asks me what I have to shoot, I just say "lost battalion"

When I was on the hunt, I was combing the gun shows and a bunch of what I saw the wood did not match well between the main stock and the top handguard. I know these when through refurbs but I was having bad luck. Ruger's Lugers once again turned me on to a nice early 1918 dated Winchester.

One day i might find me a nice Remington.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I just went over a Remington 1917 a few months ago.
    Dam thing shoots like a dream nearly as best as my go to 03 with careful bedding select fc parts CBI barrel that just make weight etc.
    I should get a few out for pictures in the sunlight/ dust knock.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I have a 1917 that was long-ago bubba-ed into a "sporter" deer rifle. Probably well beyond restoration as the top of the receiver was ground flat to accommodate a scope mount. I bought it at a yard sale... widow was getting rid of her late husband's deer rifle. It makes me a little sad, but it is still a heck of a rifle and it has put quite a few deer in the freezer for me. Bubba's need love too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom