• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ivzarleinad

Jun 6, 2017
    I just got my ATF Form 1 approval to SBR my FN PS90! The Form 1 came back in today.

Yes, this is Maryland legal (29" OAL).
    Yes, this took a lot of effort (but worth it).

It will remain Maryland legal with a special stock (see pictures). It is a modified AK underfolder which folds right next to the ejection port and is long enough to make the rifle 29" when fully extended. This allows me to replace the 16" barrel with a 10.4" short barrel. ATF and Maryland State Police have both confirmed this is Maryland and federally compliant.

Of course, I still can't put a P90 flash hider on this because that would violate the Maryland "copycat rules" since I also have a folding stock now (arghh). But this is as close as you can get to a firearm that looks like the P90 machine gun aesthetically. I'm pretty excited to finally have the approval and tax stamp back!

P.S. If anyone is interested in doing this as well, the guy to talk to is Nick at Promoted Pawn (nick@promotedpawn.com) He does excellent work and is the one who custom made it for me.

Attachments

• 97D9F9D4-8CE2-4294-A4CA-75A7D555C18C.jpg.jpg
      97D9F9D4-8CE2-4294-A4CA-75A7D555C18C.jpg.jpg
      85.6 KB · Views: 5,988
    • 5B927398-A46E-4497-B6B0-B19D3EB3B823.jpg.jpg
      5B927398-A46E-4497-B6B0-B19D3EB3B823.jpg.jpg
      80.5 KB · Views: 4,301
    • 1F93E6F5-4610-458D-975F-1ED474B39241.jpg.jpg
      1F93E6F5-4610-458D-975F-1ED474B39241.jpg.jpg
      95.8 KB · Views: 4,509
    Last edited:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Wow. That is badass. I had a ps90 a few months back but I never got to shoot it before I sold it...

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    That is quite the inventive solution. I expect it could be applied to a number of bullpup designs to get around Maryland's dumb gun laws.

ETA: Thank you for sharing!

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    Would you be opposed to just posting who made the stock?

Also did you buy the gun post FSA2013 and never take possession of it until your form came back ?

ivzarleinad

Jun 6, 2017
    I did buy the gun post 2013. However I did already have possession since I had a small carbon fiber buttstock extension plate to make it long enough to be Maryland legal (3 inches). The SBR stuff finally came in today though.

ivzarleinad

Jun 6, 2017
    Would you be opposed to just posting who made the stock?

The guy to talk to is Nick Champlin. He owns Promoted Pawn and makes all kinds of custom PS90 parts. He also makes the extended buttplate for the regular PS90 (not SBR) that I had first (in order to make the regular PS90 a Maryland legal 29").
    http://www.promotedpawn.com/ps90products/carbon-fiber-butt-plate

Here is a video he just posted on YouTube showing off the custom commissioned underfolder part he made for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD3iHyC02k8

ivzarleinad

Jun 6, 2017
    Suppressors are flash hiders, and would not be legal with the folding stock.

Not necessarily.

MD Criminal Law §4–301(g) “Flash suppressor” means a device that functions, or is intended to function, to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter’s field of vision.

Not all suppressors hide the flash all that well so I don't think they are covered by this section.

As I said though, my goal was to make this look as close to a P90 as possible so I don't intend to add a suppressor and increase the length by another 8 inches. That would really defeat the purpose.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Not necessarily.

MD Criminal Law §4–301(g) “Flash suppressor” means a device that functions, or is intended to function, to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter’s field of vision.

Not all suppressors hide the flash all that well so I don't think they are covered by this section.
    All suppressors by definition perceptibly reduce flash. If they didn't, they would not function as suppressors. I challenge you to name ONE suppressor that does not reduce flash over a bare muzzle. You will not find one, because they do not - can not - exist.

caffeind

Mar 8, 2012
    This is awesome, Thanks for sharing. I love seeing more ingenuity to curtail these ridiculous Md. laws

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not necessarily.

As I said though, my goal was to make this look as close to a P90 as possible so I don't intend to add a suppressor and increase the length by another 8 inches. That would really defeat the purpose.

All suppressors by definition perceptibly reduce flash. If they didn't, they would not function as suppressors. I challenge you to name ONE suppressor that does not reduce flash over a bare muzzle. You will not find one, because they do not - can not - exist.

I believe(know) erwos is correct. Md considers suppressors to be flash hiders because, well, they do to a certain extent. IANAL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom