• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WildWiz

Jan 3, 2010
    Perry Hall
    I am contemplating accurizing my Taurus 1911 for bullseye competition. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith who has a reputation for this type of project? Has anyone had a Taurus 1911 accurized, How much did it cost? Was the effort & expense worth it?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have done several. They are pretty solid guns coming from Taurus and lend to good bases for custom work. Im not doing Smithing anymore but my former employer is a Master and taught me everything I know (Scotts Gunsmithing). He isnt taking in work at the moment due to an excessive backlog but he will start again in a few more months. You could also send it off but many 1911 smiths are snobs and wont work on RIA, Taurus, 1911's. Just be careful you have a really reputable smith do the work if you go to a professional.

A Kart Barrel or Scheumann Barrel and Good Bushing will really tighten things up.

Before a Barrel I would be sure you shoot the sights good, and then make sure it has a well fit Trigger and the FCG is clean and crisp (C$S Kit is my favorite)

I would also highly recomend the gun we well worn in and I also recomend you replace the slide stop with a better made one. EGW makes an outstanding one. A tight barel that locks up tight can be hard on a slide stop and the better made ones are good insurance. If a Slide Stop breaks it can ruin your barrel feet.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Chad, I thought you were working at scott's until all of the work was done? I thought you were going to give my 1911 your love.lol ( not in a gay way )

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad, I thought you were working at scott's until all of the work was done? I thought you were going to give my 1911 your love.lol ( not in a gay way )

Im still there but Im not taking in any more work, if I do ill never get to leave. :)

I currently have 30 1911's that im working on at the moment. When I close my eyes I see 1911's. Im going insane. LOL

Old Gaffer

Jun 26, 2006
    I am contemplating accurizing my Taurus 1911 for bullseye competition. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith who has a reputation for this type of project? Has anyone had a Taurus 1911 accurized, How much did it cost? Was the effort & expense worth it?

I did it, and I'm shooting as well as guys in my class shooting Les Baer's. That may change IF and when I make Master, but I'd do it again in a minute. People sometimes tick up their noses at my Taurus (polishing a turd is my favorite comment so far) but when I put three in the X-ring at 50 yards and shoot low to mid 90's, the laughing stops.

45-longline_8-26-07-1.jpg

national match bushing, tighten the slide, a little, v-e-r-y little trigger work, a rail for the ultradot and change out the recoil spring and you're pretty much done

All the best,
    Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom