• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Whenever I add multiples of the same caliber to my collection, I make it a different variant (So I tell the wife). In .22 I think a semi-auto (fun), a bolt Action (accuracy) and a pump or lever action. They are all different "tools" with different abilities. Hard to beat the 10/22 for a everyday SA. I really like the CZ 452/455 line for accurate well made Bolt Action rifles. Then my favorite pump is a Remington 552 as mentioned above (Look for older used), but a Marlin 39A is also a great Lever Action. I think owning a rifle that can shoot shorts,longs and LR and also not have a detachable magazine is a big plus. So decide what is "next" on your needs list and remember you can never have too many 22 rifles.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    The next 22 on my list (with advice/help from the MDS family) for my young son will be a Marlin XT22TR or the XT22 TSR stainless version. It's a bolt action tube fed rifle. The blued version can be had in the $180's and stainless around $240, so pretty easy on the pockets.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/rimfire/xt-series/model-xt-22tr

(who am I kidding... it's for me, then my son ha)

Edited to add I just wish it came with the option of a wood stock. I'll have to find something aftermarket.

Not sure what young equals. My boy 11, can't operate the bolt on ours, but he's not the most dexterous kid around. It takes some pressure forward and down simultaneously to close the bolt on our xt-22 , it has maybe 100 cycles. I recently took it to WV, did some shooting with friends, and with iron sights was hitting exploding 2" targets at 50yds. I noted a couple friends had initial problem closing the bolt. Check out the Browning T-Bolt.

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    Semi auto are great 22s, but a lever action or a pump action 22 is a pleasant change in rifles. Easy to learn and shoot with. External hammers and good sights on most models make them a pleasure to shoot. Good way to train a young shooter.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Honestly my 10/22 has been feeling a little boring lately. Powercustom target hammer and extended charging handle and volqaurtsen bolt release. I cut down the beech wood stock, removed the butt plate and recontoured the rear of the stock, sanded and stained it. Cleaned the chamber with some steel wool. Oh and volquartsen extractor.

I mean, it looks nice, but I didn’t even swap the barrel or go nuts on the bolt and it’ll shoot sub 1” 50yd 25 round groups all day long. It isn’t a one hole touching gun, but with good ammo it is almost boring accuracy. With minimags or Target SV I can often shoot holes touching 5 and 10 shot groups at 50yds and I’ve had plenty of 1” groups at 100yds.

I am really thinking of looking for an old tube feed bolt action 22lr. Something with a bit more character to it. Till then though this is my only 22lr

Attachments

• 6D22C39A-75D0-4B85-A230-112DDB9CEDE8.jpg
      6D22C39A-75D0-4B85-A230-112DDB9CEDE8.jpg
      31 KB · Views: 266

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    The receiver guts on a Marlin 60 suck to take apart and clean.

My vote is anything older from a pawn shop. Tons of decent little 22lr rifles out there that you don't need to buy a new one.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    10/22 is the king of "bang for the buck" semi auto reliable quality 22LR

are you looking for less expensive bang for the buck?
    Bolt action?
    "different" 22 might be Savage bolt action variety.

I'm happy with my Marlins but i"d be staying away from anything Remington right now.

I have a Rossi youth 22/410 and the break action 22 is small, light and even fun for an adult. If its not a peep, I like fiber sights. The rossi has good adjustable sights on the 22. Some people might tire of it quickly though if it were not their only gun. But it shoots so slow, you would shoot all day for $20

My friends in the Navy were always looking for that in the Philippines :lol2:

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    It is hard to beat the Ruger Bolt action American for the $$$ The only issue IMHO is that the 10/22 is usually the beginning of spending $$$.
    The triggers are horrendous as a cocked rifle will support the weight of the rifle and still not fire. usually 6 lbs +

I see soooooo many that have literally 3-4 times their original cost invested in them as the "Out of Box" accuracy is less than adequate.

For less $$$ the Remington 597 is a better option

Jim

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    All 22lr collections should have a revolver, semi pistol, semi rifle, and bolt rifle. I have some favorites.

#1 CZ 452 FullStock
    #1A Marlin 39 whatever one you like
    #3 Ruger singlesix
    #4Ruger ii,iii, or iv whatever one you like

My 39 and 452FS are by far and away my favorite firearms.

honukane

Aug 15, 2012
    Southern Maryland-istan
    The Mossberg 702 Plinkster is a very inexpensive .22 semi-automatic rifle that is dead nuts accurate.
    They can be found for around $100 +/- , and are light weight, utilitarian plastic clad plinking toys.
    I like my 10/22 for classic looks and accuracy, but I take the plinkster out for play as well.

Last edited:

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Not sure what young equals. My boy 11, can't operate the bolt on ours, but he's not the most dexterous kid around. It takes some pressure forward and down simultaneously to close the bolt on our xt-22 , it has maybe 100 cycles. I recently took it to WV, did some shooting with friends, and with iron sights was hitting exploding 2" targets at 50yds. I noted a couple friends had initial problem closing the bolt. Check out the Browning T-Bolt.

Thanks for the heads up on the bolt. I've noticed in videos on YouTube they seem hard to return to shooting position. It seems you have to push down on them pretty hard, but not having handled one yet I'm just guessing.

My son is 5 and probably wont be shooting for a year or two. I have other 22 rifles, I was thinking about myself as much as him ha. Was looking for an affordable bolt action tube fed rifle.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Thanks for the heads up on the bolt. I've noticed in videos on YouTube they seem hard to return to shooting position. It seems you have to push down on them pretty hard, but not having handled one yet I'm just guessing.

My son is 5 and probably wont be shooting for a year or two. I have other 22 rifles, I was thinking about myself as much as him ha. Was looking for an affordable bolt action tube fed rifle.

Pawn shop Marlin 81 or the Western Auto clone version Revelation 110. Not the gun most people are looking for, probably a good gun to make a low offer on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom