• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    Can a MD resident buy a shotgun from a VA gunstore? Is it cash and carry?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Can a MD resident buy a shotgun from a VA gunstore? Is it cash and carry?

Yes you can. They are cash and carry

Unless they are banned. If I remember right that is a semi auto with a folding stock or with a rotary magazine (aka, Streetsweeper)

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    Thanks guys.

Now, where to shoot with #4 or #8 shot? I looked at the NRA and Machinegun Nest and they only allow buckshot.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Thanks guys.

Now, where to shoot with #4 or #8 shot? I looked at the NRA and Machinegun Nest and they only allow buckshot.

#4 (if buck) would typically require a local outdoor club.

#8 is typically used in clay sports so trap and skeet and such.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not a lot of places will let you shoot anything but rifled slugs. A couple of the indoor places will allow buckshot. Pretty much private club or nothing.

Of course if you just want to shoot birdshot in the #9-7.5 range, any place for trap, skeet or sporting clays. Also you are generally going to need a 23"+ barrel to be allowed to shoot there.

That has been my dilemma, I'd like to go (outdoors) to put some buckshot through my shotguns, but I can't find any place that will allow me to (I'd wager Delmarva might let me, but I haven't looked in to it yet as they are 1 1/2hrs from me)

I content myself with shooting a lot of trap and a little bit of sporting clays. I'd like to get something more HD oriented (barrel or full shotgun), but I'd have no place to shoot it, except with slugs off a bench, which SUCKS

teawhy

Mar 24, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    Yes you can. They are cash and carry

Unless they are banned. If I remember right that is a semi auto with a folding stock or with a rotary magazine (aka, Streetsweeper)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the same rule applies for any long guns that aren't banned. And purchases can be made nationwide.

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    Not a lot of places will let you shoot anything but rifled slugs. A couple of the indoor places will allow buckshot. Pretty much private club or nothing.

Of course if you just want to shoot birdshot in the #9-7.5 range, any place for trap, skeet or sporting clays. Also you are generally going to need a 23"+ barrel to be allowed to shoot there.

That has been my dilemma, I'd like to go (outdoors) to put some buckshot through my shotguns, but I can't find any place that will allow me to (I'd wager Delmarva might let me, but I haven't looked in to it yet as they are 1 1/2hrs from me)

I content myself with shooting a lot of trap and a little bit of sporting clays. I'd like to get something more HD oriented (barrel or full shotgun), but I'd have no place to shoot it, except with slugs off a bench, which SUCKS

That sucks because I am getting a tactical shotgun with 18.5 inch barrel.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That sucks because I am getting a tactical shotgun with 18.5 inch barrel.

Probably no trap or skeet for you anywhere.

I think most of the indoor ranges will allow you to shoot buckshot. That may be about it unless you've got access to a friend's (or your own) backyard range.

It is 50% of the reason I may never get a real tactical shotgun. I would love to find a 23 or 24" barrel for my 870 that can take a ghost ring sight, smooth bore with interchangeable chokes. Doesn't need a pistol grip.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    I think you can shoot shotguns at MD DNR ranges. Myrtle Grove has a shotgun area but the range is closed for repairs right now.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    The last time I was at MSAR they were alright with birdshot on their indoor ranges. I patterned my turkey guns. This was a couple of years ago, though.

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    Probably no trap or skeet for you anywhere.

I think most of the indoor ranges will allow you to shoot buckshot. That may be about it unless you've got access to a friend's (or your own) backyard range.

It is 50% of the reason I may never get a real tactical shotgun. I would love to find a 23 or 24" barrel for my 870 that can take a ghost ring sight, smooth bore with interchangeable chokes. Doesn't need a pistol grip.

I am actually rethinking now if I am still getting a shotgun.

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    The last time I was at MSAR they were alright with birdshot on their indoor ranges. I patterned my turkey guns. This was a couple of years ago, though.

I emailed MSAR about this and got an email back saying that shotguns with 18.5 inch barrel and #4 and #8 shots are permitted.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Pretty much at Delmarva if it's legal to own in Md you can shoot it. Just leave your bazooka at home :D

What if I have training solids for my bazooka? Good to go? :lol2:

I'll keep that in mind if my big day trip to Delmarva works out. I might slip some milk jugs and 00 in to my range bag(s) to go with. I was planning to do some sporting clays as it was along with taking my AR for the range.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the same rule applies for any long guns that aren't banned. And purchases can be made nationwide.

Has to be legal in the state of purchase and the state of residence of the purchaser.

So MD res cannot buy AR (non-HBAR) out of state (not legal in state of residence of purchaser), and VA resident cannot buy an AR (non-HBAR) in MD (not legal in state of transaction).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom