• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Glad I was helpful. But as appealing as the idea of this shotgun is to me, the ammo requirement would turn me very very off.

Agree. Proprietary ammunition? No thank you.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    If HD is an issue, delete the Fabarm XLR5 from your list. It's a dedicated Clay and Wing shooter.

I think you make a mistake trying to buy a do-all gun.
    The answer is: one for HD and one for other things. Then for the other things: one for hunting, and one for clays.
    So, you need a minimum of three guns.:)

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Wow. I never knew about these. (I don't get out much) Is this the one you're talking about? It looks like it wants special ammo. Do these types all need special ammo to accommodate the magazine?

REF dated 2013:
    12 Gauge, AR-10 Based Shotgun Now a Reality
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/02/12/12-gauge-ar-10-based-shotgun-now-a-reality/

or these that use regular rounds

https://grabagun.com/us-sporting-goods-inc-2.html
    https://grabagun.com/us-sporting-goods-inc.html
    https://grabagun.com/pw-arms-ar-12-black-12ga-20-inch-5rd.html

there are others

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Just my $0.02 but for Duck and Goose, I use an inexpensive semi so that if it goes in the drink, I'm not crying. I currently use a TriStar Raptor which ran $293 at Walmart a few months back. You can get a decent deal on a Remington 1100 as well for just a little more if you want to go true name-brand.

For non-steel shot purposes, my personal favorite semi-auto shotgun is the Remington 878/Ward's Western Field 600A-ERI. Soft shooting, easy to swing, reliable. They're the hidden gem of the early gas-operated semi-auto world. I also love the Browning Auto-5/Rem-11/Savage-720, but they simply don't beat the 878 as far as the old ones go.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Just my $0.02 but for Duck and Goose, I use an inexpensive semi so that if it goes in the drink, I'm not crying. I currently use a TriStar Raptor which ran $293 at Walmart a few months back. You can get a decent deal on a Remington 1100 as well for just a little more if you want to go true name-brand.

For non-steel shot purposes, my personal favorite semi-auto shotgun is the Remington 878/Ward's Western Field 600A-ERI. Soft shooting, easy to swing, reliable. They're the hidden gem of the early gas-operated semi-auto world. I also love the Browning Auto-5/Rem-11/Savage-720, but they simply don't beat the 878 as far as the old ones go.

Did you have a problem with the charging handle falling out of your TriStar Raptor?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Did you have a problem with the charging handle falling out of your TriStar Raptor?

Nope, I've seen the video reviews where some guys had that issue on the earlier guns that didn't have as high a QC factor. Mine is very nicely cut and holds better than any of my others semis honestly. Looks like it was an issue that they found out about and fixed (which is amazing in this day and age). Even heavishot and steel BB 3" goose loads were a-ok in it with no complications.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Nope, I've seen the video reviews where some guys had that issue on the earlier guns that didn't have as high a QC factor. Mine is very nicely cut and holds better than any of my others semis honestly. Looks like it was an issue that they found out about and fixed (which is amazing in this day and age). Even heavishot and steel BB 3" goose loads were a-ok in it with no complications.

Good to know :thumbsup: I'm going to swing by Wally World and see if I can eyeball/play with one later.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Good to know :thumbsup: I'm going to swing by Wally World and see if I can eyeball/play with one later.

They're hard to beat for the price! Pop the charging handle out when you look at it (if they'll let you). The lines should be nice and crisp.

Good video of what the old vs new handle looks like. Jump to 1:50 for the comparison:

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Another question you, the OP, have to ask yourself. 3" or 3 1/2" chamber? The 3" guns have more to offer. Very good guns can be had under $800.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Thank you for the detail - duck mainly and maybe some goose. Home defense is really an after thought because I have other firearms for that too.

As fun as the mag fed shotguns like the Saiga and Vepr 12s are, my reason for not buying one was the cost of the mags. I have AR and AK mags, and quite frankly don't have the room for 12G mags. I have shot the Veprs and Saigas and they are fun. I prefer tube fed shotguns for the simplicity and lower cost of not needing mags. I have both gas and inertia shotguns, and the gas gun has been 100% for clay shooting, I really like the inertia guns. If your main use is hunting, I would go with a Benelli inertia gun, like my M2. Extra parts are very expensive though, with just an extra barrel costing as much another shotgun. So, I love the Benelli M2. Then a cheaper version, is the Weatherby Element, which has gotten good reviews, and about 1/2 the cost of the Benelli. Then maybe Franchi. Another good option is the Stoeger M3000/3500. The recoil design is slightly different, but great reviews. I think parts are a tad cheaper if I recall.

Last edited:

Onceuponatime

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 19, 2018
    Another question you, the OP, have to ask yourself. 3" or 3 1/2" chamber? The 3" guns have more to offer. Very good guns can be had under $800.

Yes I see that. Rarely a need to use 3 1/2" shells. And besides, my 887 nitro will chamber those if I need them.

Velpoe

Dec 27, 2012
    Cumberland, MD
    Love my Browning Silver Hunter.
    Whichever you go with, if you are planning to upland or waterfowl hunt, or bust clays, make sure the gun fits you properly. I don't miss (much) with the Browning, but can't hit crap with my grandfather's 12 ga pump. The fit of the gun (stock) really makes a difference.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    No love for the Ithica XL900 in 12 ga.?
    I picked one up at a local GS a while back. Seems like a well built gun, but haven't been able to find much info on it. This one was built in Japan before they moved their production to Turkey, at which time the quality began to suffer or so I'm told.
    Anyone have any info on this model?

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    Benelli M4. Great for clearing buildings and for turkeys too!

Who says evil "assault weapons" are not used for hunting?

Maine 2015:
    55 Yards- my first bird

May%202015%20Maine%20Gobbler%20and%20Benelli%20M4%20.JPG

Ohio last Spring:

Both of these were close shots, about 20 yards or so.

a field hunt bird

IMG_5376.JPG

a deep woods mountain ridge hunt bird

IMG_5384.JPG

Edit:

BTW, it does reliably cycle light skeet 1 oz. loads. Not at first it didn't but after being "broken in" with slugs and buckshot, she eats ANYTHING. Just so you know.

Youthcoach

Mar 4, 2010
    Waldorf, MD
    I've got to get in on this!
    As a youth coach, hunter and clays shooter, I've tried many guns. My absolute favorites are the new Remington Versa Max (3.5") and the Remington V3 (2 3/4-3") guns. Both have a revolutionary new gas system design that has removed ALL the parts from the mag tube! They now use a simple piston system located just under the chamber. Gas is routed straight down to these dual pistons and they move the bolt. BOTH guns will fire ANY 2 3/4-3" shell (Versa Max will also fire 3.5") INTERCHANGABLY. EVEN light, 1 oz target loads! Benelli's won't cycle 1 oz loads. Gun writers have tested both models and declared them "the softest shooting semi's out there..." I own both and they are what they say they are....great! They have been out long enough that all the early-release bugs are gone! The Versa Max is priced with the A400's and Benelli SBE's (about $1000-1600). The V3 is priced (about $900-1100) with the A300 and is a much better gun. My two cents!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    See, this thread is now a mess. The main purpose for OP would be wingshooting, which requires a different stock setup than home defense, turkey hunting, or deer hunting. Most of the shots for deer, turkey, and human will be shots at targets on the ground, where a stock with less or no drop at comb would be ideal to help reduce muzzle climb after firing. Meanwhile, try shooting an overhead bird that is flying directly over you with a straight stock with no drop at comb. It is tough. The drop in comb allows the stock to be in the right position when the gun is in different shooting positions.

With all that said, there are a couple of other threads on here about the best waterfowling shotgun, wing shooting shotgun, etc. for the OP to get some answers to his question.

The M4 is a nice gun, but I wouldn't take mine waterfowling, dove hunting, or clay shooting. Then again, I happen to own other shotguns that fit those niches.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    In semi, I have my wife's Beretta, and my Benelli Montefeltro. Bot are very nice, lightweight and smooth guns. I think the Benelli is a bit lighter and maybe a bit easier on the shoulder, but both shoot flawlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom