• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    I have been asked to take an 19 yr old boy and his mother to the range for first time handgun shooting. Perhaps it is just the times I am at the handgun range, but I am not sure I have ever seen teenagers or younger shooting handguns.
    Is it allowed, or do they need to be 21?
    thanks
    dan

May 19, 2016
    IANAL, but I see kids at the range all of the time. As long as they are supervised by an adult there is no problem. You are not selling anyone a firearm, they are either using your tools or renting from the range. Just teach them safety first and there should be no problem.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I've been taking my son to the range with all types of firearms since he was 10.
    I teach and suprrvise.
    Probably violating 100 MD laws, but I'm OK with what we do and know it's safe.
    If law enforcement winds up spying on ranges for this type of violation (if they think one) it's past time to get the hell out of here.

Rus

MDS Supporter
    Nov 27, 2017
    No. Carroll County
    The relatively few teens and 20-something women I see at HB have all been accompanied by 30+ year old men who were coaching the shooters. The arrangement seemed to work very well. You may be their best way to get started.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My kids have been going to the range since they were 10. If the 19 year old seems to be a good, responsible kid I wouldn't hesitate. It's a great opportunity to bring new shooters into the sport

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    I've taken both my boys to the range since they were 7. Pistol range at 10. One at a time on the line and supervised very closely. No issues and no comments from range officers.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    No issues taking them. I would have a basic gun safety discussion and review of the rules before you go and again when you get there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    It’s legal and it’s a VERY good thing to do. Be sure to have high quality eyes and ears for both to maximize their comfort level. Make it all about safety safety safety and then have some fun.

Most likely both guests will need to answer on paper all of the usual “are you prohibited” kind of questions. Bring lots of ammo, and stick with non-human-form targets until/unless it’s clear they “get it.” I’ve found that the splatter-style feedback targets really help noobs get a sense of what’s going on.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    My son has shot my 22 pistol off sand bags since he was 7. I started him with one round in the magazine at a time. Now he's 9, and I have to remind him to take his time. Otherwise, a brick of ammo will be gone as quickly as the mags can be reloaded. I'm thinking we'll be able to go off the bag in a year or two. Right now, it's all about safety, confidence, and fun.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    With proper supervision, at the AGC, age is not a factor.

LOL! I can remember taking handguns out to shoot at Whiteford Quarries, by myself, at 16

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I have been taking my Grands since they were big enough to safely handle the firearm. Adding others as they grow. I start gun safety by 5-6 years old.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I have been asked to take an 19 yr old boy and his mother to the range for first time handgun shooting. Perhaps it is just the times I am at the handgun range, but I am not sure I have ever seen teenagers or younger shooting handguns.
    Is it allowed, or do they need to be 21?
    thanks
    dan

I’ve brought my high school neighbor to the range before, with his parents’ permission. I made sure to share the lane with him the first time and still watch him like a hawk. He now has a membership at a local range. His dad, who works all over the world and is rarely home, bought them both memberships. So I take the kid.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Completely legal. Follow safety suggestions above and enjoy.

Additional suggestion: don't put anything with extreme recoil in their hands; avoid blowback centerfire handguns as 'first guns'

Best first handgun: single action .22 revolver. Slowly advance after that.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    They may need a break from the ear muffs squeezing their heads, my kids do.

I taught a male friend in his late 30s who is really into the movies, to shoot handguns. He was very nervous. We went over muzzle awareness, indexing trigger finger, stance and grip with a range blue gun a couple of times. He settled down enough to be able to take instructions with the actual gun once in the range. Shoutgun and clays check; archery next; rifle to follow.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    It’s up to each range, how they handle that. Any range that’s open to the public is going to have a web site that at least mentions their policies in that regard.

On the silhouette-targets-for-noobs issue: my experience has been that, especially with younger folks, a positive first outing frequently results in them wanting to roll up a target they’ve ventilated and taking it home. And sometimes posting it on social media (great!). They’re more likely to do so, and share their experience, if the “I was shooting at human-like shapes” part is dialed down.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    For kids, zombies are very popular.

But you can also order a very wide variety of some kid-friendly targets from bakertargets.com. balloons, zombie dinosaurs, zombie monsters, spiderweb, aliens, many more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom