• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    First your Introduction post that sounds a bit to 'water-cooler seasoned' for a new person, and now a thread on HBARs.

Hmmmmm.

I give my word I will no longer reference any of this, but my tin foil is tingling.

I hope you do indeed just have 'big nuts', and will be a productive member here, in MSI perhaps, and in Annapolis; and are not a troll trolling.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    The ban is based on Dianne Feinstein's old Assault Weapons List from about 1988-1989.

That list was the basis for Clinton's AWB of 1994-2004. It was used by Maryland when so-called "Assault Weapons" were Regulated (Form 77r and 7 day wait), and used for the ban of 2013.

The List is used by other states, but I don't know if other states versions include the HBAR exemption.

The List was created by a pair of Dianne Feinstein's staffers, who said they went down to the newstand at lunch time and bought a copy of Gun Digest. They went through the catalog section in the back and listed every long gun that looked scary, or unsuited for wabbit hunting. Seriously.

Because the List was created in 1988, it is full of odd guns few have ever heard of, such as the Linda and the Bushmaster. (The latter was NOT an AR, but rather an odd combination of AK and AR features, never produced in large numbers. Years later, after the Bushmaster rifle failed, the company turned to making ARs.) Except for a few revisions (I think) in 1994, the List has never been updated, which is why it does not include rifles like the SCAR and Tavor.

Anyway, in 1988 ARs were not being made by dozens of companies. If you wanted an AR, you pretty much chose among the Colts: the rifle or the carbine. They also had a target version- the Colt HBAR Sporter. This was coming into favor with serious High Power competitors for bullseye competition.

When legislation is proposed, there is always dealing and hoss trading and compromising. The argument was made that AR15s were increasingly used by serious target shooters. Okay, how can we distinguish the Evil Assault Rifle that kills people from the harmless AR15 that only punches neat holes in paper far away? Why the paper puncher has a Heavy Barrel.

Further, with the AR15 being added to Maryland's Regulated list, it was pointed out that Junior Competitors between the ages of 18 and 20 would be unable to possess the increasingly favored target rifle of choice. Thus the HBAR exemption.

By the way, I'm always a little annoyed when I read well-meaning rants about how stupid the HBAR exemption is. What do the ranters expect, that the Slavering Gun Grabbers will suddenly see the light, and revoke all restrictions on gun ownership? Just repeal all the anti gun laws? I do not think they will.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    An HBAR is a target rifle.
    Target shooting is a sport.

Target rifles and assault rifles are two different things, one is good and one is bad.
    Bad guns have a mind of their own and must be banned by important people in Annapolis who wear suits and eat lunch with other important people who wear suits.
    Those people are smarter than you because all your neighbors voted them into office with great confidence in their decision making powers.

Ask me why an 11 round magazine is more dangerous than a 10 round magazine.

Exactly.... apparently, out law makers never strolled down a firing line at Camp Perry in the mid 1980's when it was dominated by M1A's...

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    So I'll admit, knowing that there is likely a 99.442% probability this issue has been discussed somewhere on this forum, I did not preform a solid level of research or due diligence before giving up. But I did search a little, for like 5 minutes, and therefore ask that you humor me as newb who just didn't know any better. Thanks!

The question: I can't imagine that Maryland's AR HBAR requirements are justified by anything even close to being valid or logical. So I'm not sure why I'm asking, but I just gotta know. Is it because they feel the rifles will be safer if heavier (using gun control logic here!), longer, or thicker? Did I miss the point? Have they ever provided a justification, just for funsies?

Thanks!
    OP, don't ask.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Okay, how can we distinguish the Evil Assault Rifle that kills people from the harmless AR15 that only punches neat holes in paper far away? Why the paper puncher has a Heavy Barrel.

Good write up.

One slight correction, they did not exempt based on HBAR, they exempted the Colt HBAR Match Sporter by name. It was the only target AR available at the time.

The list had "copies or imitations" added to it, to avoid someone making an AR-15 and calling it an XY92 and selling it.

Roll around to 2013, and FSA 2013, and there is an AG letter of interpretation that says a copy has to have complete interchangablity of parts (swap one part from one rifle to the other and they both continue to operate).

SO, that makes copies of the Colt HBAR Match Sporter exempted.

Thus, we can buy HBARs.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Exactly.... apparently, out law makers never strolled down a firing line at Camp Perry in the mid 1980's when it was dominated by M1A's...

Even if they did, they would not be able to see the difference between an M1 Garand and an M1A.

Buckeye_Nut

Jun 15, 2017
    Waldorf
    I believe that there was a Maryland Legislator who really liked target shooting with his Colt HBAR. So they cut a deal. I have to admit that when I went to a small gun show in Charles County about a year after the "ban", I was really surprised to see racks and racks full of AR-15's. Took me a while to realize they were all HBAR versions. They looked a lot safer.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I believe that there was a Maryland Legislator who really liked target shooting with his Colt HBAR. So they cut a deal. I have to admit that when I went to a small gun show in Charles County about a year after the "ban", I was really surprised to see racks and racks full of AR-15's. Took me a while to realize they were all HBAR versions. They looked a lot safer.

They looked safer at a gun show because of the gun show loophole.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Those people are smarter than you because all your neighbors voted them into office with great confidence in their decision making powers.

No, they're smarter than you because they live in a world that doesn't need guns. In their world, disagreements, which are rare, can always be settled with a time-out coupled with a frowny face (or a really stern James Taylor song).
    frowning-celebs-clooney.jpg

If that doesn't make you do the right thing, then you must be a knuckle-dragger in need of a spanking.
    Baby-With-Sad-Face-Funny-Picture.jpg

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Even if they did, they would not be able to see the difference between an M1 Garand and an M1A.

Only the scarey looking magazine that sticks out the bottom of the M1A, and the shortened gas system... which I guess is why the BM59 and 62's made the list...

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I just wish people with BigNutz would use their BigEyes to sign on and READ.

Every question would be answered.

But no, they have that special question.

Come on, go to Answer.com then. I can’t believe that someone can be that impatient, when Reading is not only Fundamental, but it’s awesome here.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Incorrect. The Colt HBAR Match Sporter was exempted in the 94 Clinton ban and the late 80s MD regulated rifle list.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The ban is based on Dianne Feinstein's old Assault Weapons List from about 1988-1989.

That list was the basis for Clinton's AWB of 1994-2004. It was used by Maryland when so-called "Assault Weapons" were Regulated (Form 77r and 7 day wait), and used for the ban of 2013.

The List is used by other states, but I don't know if other states versions include the HBAR exemption.

The List was created by a pair of Dianne Feinstein's staffers, who said they went down to the newstand at lunch time and bought a copy of Gun Digest. They went through the catalog section in the back and listed every long gun that looked scary, or unsuited for wabbit hunting. Seriously.

Because the List was created in 1988, it is full of odd guns few have ever heard of, such as the Linda and the Bushmaster. (The latter was NOT an AR, but rather an odd combination of AK and AR features, never produced in large numbers. Years later, after the Bushmaster rifle failed, the company turned to making ARs.) Except for a few revisions (I think) in 1994, the List has never been updated, which is why it does not include rifles like the SCAR and Tavor.

Anyway, in 1988 ARs were not being made by dozens of companies. If you wanted an AR, you pretty much chose among the Colts: the rifle or the carbine. They also had a target version- the Colt HBAR Sporter. This was coming into favor with serious High Power competitors for bullseye competition.

When legislation is proposed, there is always dealing and hoss trading and compromising. The argument was made that AR15s were increasingly used by serious target shooters. Okay, how can we distinguish the Evil Assault Rifle that kills people from the harmless AR15 that only punches neat holes in paper far away? Why the paper puncher has a Heavy Barrel.

Further, with the AR15 being added to Maryland's Regulated list, it was pointed out that Junior Competitors between the ages of 18 and 20 would be unable to possess the increasingly favored target rifle of choice. Thus the HBAR exemption.

By the way, I'm always a little annoyed when I read well-meaning rants about how stupid the HBAR exemption is. What do the ranters expect, that the Slavering Gun Grabbers will suddenly see the light, and revoke all restrictions on gun ownership? Just repeal all the anti gun laws? I do not think they will.

3band I read a post on the internet (wish I could find it) that basically said in the 90's a Colt exec that was well connected with the MD democrat party convinced the law makes that the HBAR was a sporting rifle and not an assault rifle and it stuck. Sort of consistent with your story. We should be glad we at least have that. I totally agree with you. Guys- stop ranting about the HBAR exemption.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    So I'll admit, knowing that there is likely a 99.442% probability this issue has been discussed somewhere on this forum, I did not preform a solid level of research or due diligence before giving up. But I did search a little, for like 5 minutes, and therefore ask that you humor me as newb who just didn't know any better. Thanks!

The question: I can't imagine that Maryland's AR HBAR requirements are justified by anything even close to being valid or logical. So I'm not sure why I'm asking, but I just gotta know. Is it because they feel the rifles will be safer if heavier (using gun control logic here!), longer, or thicker? Did I miss the point? Have they ever provided a justification, just for funsies?

Thanks!

Actually it's very simple, the whole purpose to to make the process of buying a gun difficult to understand what is legal & to make it more expensive to buy...

The Merry-Land legislature doesn't want you to buy or own guns...

First your Introduction post that sounds a bit to 'water-cooler seasoned' for a new person, and now a thread on HBARs.

Hmmmmm.

I give my word I will no longer reference any of this, but my tin foil is tingling.

I hope you do indeed just have 'big nuts', and will be a productive member here, in MSI perhaps, and in Annapolis; and are not a troll trolling.

LOLOL, dude, I have been lurking these forums on and off for a few years. I'm a member of MSI, get the emails but admit I don't pay as much attention as I should. And this is the first time I've ever registered and posted to this site ever. I've certainly never been elected from any forum, let alone any other.

BigNutz: not a physical deformity of any kind. Actually was a nickname I was given by platoon sergeant back when I was in the Army. I was that kid (E-1 through E-4) who thought good opinion counted and expressed it adnaseum regardless of who was within earshot. He one day just yelled over to me "Hey! Big nuts, nobody cares, shut the f®©] up!". And it stuck.

Based on that, I suspect me and the other guy probably have some of the same software in our brains. But any questions I ask here are one's I truly don't know the answer to. Promise. I'm don't usually care about stuff like this, but I don't want to be associated with some idiot.

I'm gonna ask another one, related to HBAR, but in going to post it in it's own thread to avoid hijacking by own thread.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Officially anything less than 2.25 inches in diameter and less than 30 inches long is NOT an HBAR unless it is stamped HBAR...
    Get it, Got it, Good...(GRIN)...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Officially anything less than 2.25 inches in diameter and less than 30 inches long is NOT an HBAR unless it is stamped HBAR...
    Get it, Got it, Good...(GRIN)...

According to MSP Guidance, even 3" diameter is not HBAR unless stamped or advertised as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom