• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdiom

Sep 7, 2012
    Abingdon
    All seems like it is too much hassle even if you do have G&S. I've lived here less than 1 year from FL (have my ccw and used it everyday down there) and not sure I'd want to go through all this.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    All seems like it is too much hassle even if you do have G&S. I've lived here less than 1 year from FL (have my ccw and used it everyday down there) and not sure I'd want to go through all this.

Here is the thing. I assume you want your CCW to protect yourself and not because you think your cool when you carry. So that being said, Your telling us that protecting your life is only worth it when a CCW is very easy to get?

Do you think the state may be thinking if you feel it's to much trouble to get a MD CCW (with all of it's read tape) that just maybe you really do not think it's all that important and you also feel that you will never need a gun to protect your life? I assume you like that living thing. I know I do.

I mean staying alive is cool and all, but who cares if getting your CCW is a pain. Right?

Do I wish this state made it easier then they do? Sure I do. But I carry for one thing only, to be the one that walks away from the life or death encounter. Many bother with the red tape because they feel the same way.

But if you have G&S but feel it is to much of a bother to you, you have the right not to bother.

mdiom

Sep 7, 2012
    Abingdon
    Here is the thing. I assume you want your CCW to protect yourself and not because you think your cool when you carry. So that being said, Your telling us that protecting your life is only worth it when a CCW is very easy to get?

Do you think the state may be thinking if you feel it's to much trouble to get a MD CCW (with all of it's read tape) that just maybe you really do not think it's all that important and you also feel that you will never need a gun to protect your life? I assume you like that living thing. I know I do.

I mean staying alive is cool and all, but who cares if getting your CCW is a pain. Right?

Do I wish this state made it easier then they do? Sure I do. But I carry for one thing only, to be the one that walks away from the life or death encounter. Many bother with the red tape because they feel the same way.

But if you have G&S but feel it is to much of a bother to you, you have the right not to bother.

I was just making a statement about the overwhelming factor of all of the bureaucracy and "red tape" (not read tape, by the way) and was not necessarily like I should have stated to get my point across and hence your jump to conclusion about my motivation. I just finished reading most of the thread and it's overwhelming to see what some have dealt with. Good for those that stuck through it.

I came to to this thread to get an idea of people's experience with the process and being from out of state I have some hesitations because of my previous experience with shall issue, that all. But thanks for you words of encouragement. Unfortunately I don't have G&S so whether I choose to bother or not MD gives me no choice anyway, but my wife as a professional physical therapist may have and I'm not sure she will be thrilled to to hear about them contacting her employer and other personal references simply because we have never had to deal with such, in my opinion, invasion of privacy.

But for more help, would practicing as a physical therapist (Doctorate degree) fall under the G&S?

adavis

Jun 1, 2013
    So I was reading the Utah gun permit laws and it said we have to obtain a gun permit in our home state. So even then I still wouldn't be able to get one? Also, what other state gun permits are accepted here?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    UT knows you can't get apermit in MD and allows permits to be issued to MD residents because of the restrictive May Issue policy,

MD does not recognize any other states' CCW opermits.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012

"Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply."

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    Sent my application about 2 weeks ago as a Physical Therapist and business owner. My check was cashed. The wait begins.

River Hill

Dec 15, 2012
    Maryland
    If you own a retail business in MD can you legally carry concealed while inside the retail establishment? I have not been able to find anything on this. My wife and I are getting ready to start the cc process as we have a retail business in MD. We handle business currency transactions all the time and wondering if we should add any other GS cause?

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    If you own a retail business in MD can you legally carry concealed while inside the retail establishment? I have not been able to find anything on this. My wife and I are getting ready to start the cc process as we have a retail business in MD. We handle business currency transactions all the time and wondering if we should add any other GS cause?

From my understanding businesses are an extension of private property and you may. I carry at my business and we are a service company.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Merlin a lot of people I know carry without a license and you would never know they carry

That's good because in MD even if you have a permit that is how it should be. The person carrying should be the one and only person that knows they are carrying. It's the people that can't keep their mouth shut about it that get in trouble.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

In Maryland there are two places you can carry without a permit. On property you own, and within the confines of your business. And I think that also extends to anyone you give permission to can do the same. Like an employee that works for you.

Now this is a gray area for me, but does anyone here know if the business owner is carrying within their business without a permit, does that also extend out in the parking lot area outside of the business? For example, say you own a 7/11, and you never applied for a carry permit. You can carry inside the business as well as walk out into the parking area outside of the business and it is still be considered carrying legally?

River Hill

Dec 15, 2012
    Maryland
    In Maryland there are two places you can carry without a permit. On property you own, and within the confines of your business. And I think that also extends to anyone you give permission to can do the same. Like an employee that works for you.

Now this is a gray area for me, but does anyone here know if the business owner is carrying within their business without a permit, does that also extend out in the parking lot area outside of the business? For example, say you own a 7/11, and you never applied for a carry permit. You can carry inside the business as well as walk out into the parking area outside of the business and it is still be considered carrying legally?

Good question about outside as I don't like taking the trash out to the dumpster. I need to do more cash transactions so hopefully can qualify as G&S and not just owning a retail business.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    If you own the parking lot, it's your property. Why would you not be able to carry? No different than your front lawn IMO.
    That make's good sence. I wonder if your the owner of a strip mall/city street type store front where the parking is just beyond the sidewalk in front of the store. Can you carry if say you were parked out front of your store on the public street and were unloading your truck or car with business supplies?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    If you own the parking lot, it's your property. Why would you not be able to carry? No different than your front lawn IMO.

Here is some classic Maryland craziness...that I think I mentioned in the past.

When I went to my Fact to face meeting I asked the trooper if you owned two business, like a 7/11 and a gas station, could you carry when conducting business at both locations after you get approved for a ccw?

The trooper told me that you could not. He went on to say, if your ccw was approved with the 7/11 as the reason with no mention of the gas station, you would have to apply again with the same way you proved you own the 7/11 to then get be approved for the gas station as well.

For example if you owned the 7/11 for years and had a ccw because of the 7/11. And one day bought another business. Maybe he meant you would just have to get the other business added to the permit, but that's not what he said. He said apply again for the other business.

Now maybe if you owned and conducted your 7/11 business under a LLC, and ond day the LLC bought another business, (assuming you can do that legally operating under a LLC) it would all be treated the same.

But the trooper said if you own 10 businesses you had to be approved for all 10.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That make's good sence. I wonder if your the owner of a strip mall/city street type store front where the parking is just beyond the sidewalk in front of the store. Can you carry if say you were parked out front of your store on the public street and were unloading your truck or car with business supplies?

Owner of the store or lessee? I have no idea but from your description it sounds like the parking lot is part of the real estate owner's property, not yours. If you don't actually own the lot itself, it's not your property and you could not legally carry there. You may be a lessee, but the lot is not your property.

IANAL and I really don't know the law regarding this. I personally would not do it.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    But the trooper said if you own 10 businesses you had to be approved for all 10.

I was just approved with G&S as the owner of two businesses. Business 1 has standard G&S for cash flow. Business 2 is fairly new and doesn't have the cash flow. Both were discussed in my application. My restriction specifically mentions Business 1 and does not mention Business 2. I take this to mean I do not have the right to carry while conducting business for Business 2. So I would agree with your statement, Merlin.

NAUIdvr1

Jan 4, 2013
    Harford County
    3-22-2012 - Sent application in for 2nd time. Single side printing this time.

Received my approved MD CCW permit - with the normal business related restrictions. Was post marked for June 19th (89 days from submittal). Received June 20th (90 days exactly).

Did not have a face to face meeting and only 2 of my references were called.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom