Baltimore County Police Replace FNS-40 with Glock 17 Following Accidental Discharges

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    It wasn't because of the accidental discharge(s).

The firearm had several issues over the short period of time. Besides some guns "locking up" for apparently no reason they had an identified issue with the striker. FN is now offering a replacement striker for all firearms within in a production period. The next was the roll pin holding the trigger together started to "back out" at only 4 years of service. I believe FN considered it a service item and had the gun had no other issues they would just replace them every 2 years OR wait for FN to "upgrade" them.

However with all the issues over the year there was a huge dollar amount of potential liability on the line with a firearm that the Department just didn't trust at the time.

Seemingly the G17 seems to be a much better fit. I'll be interesting to follow the ballistic effectiveness of the new gun/ammo/caliber.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    what was causing the accidental discharges? Do they know?

They reported the ones they had were due to the holster design. They got a new holster.

It was discovered the gun could be put into a situation where tapping the back of firearm cause the gun to fire. Hence the current striker recall.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    If you read the owner's manual for that particular FN it says do not carry this firearm with a round in the chamber. I'm sure that's probably in there for liability reasons...

Well that line should've ruled out it's selection as a service weapon from the start.

wingsfan

Feb 11, 2017
    Ceciltucky
    More than likely, the department had to downgrade to 9mm, to accommodate all officers and shooting abilities. Couple that with 9mm being cheaper than 40 S&W rounds and I'm not surprised at the switch.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    what was causing the accidental discharges? Do they know?

I think you had to pull the trigger to take the gun down...at least a rather unreliable source within the department told me that. People would pull the trigger with one still in the chamber.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I think you had to pull the trigger to take the gun down...at least a rather unreliable source within the department told me that. People would pull the trigger with one still in the chamber.

Several issues this being one of them. Of course the problem wasn't "fixed" by going with Glocks in regards to pulling the trigger.

Poor holster selection allowing objects to enter the trigger guard.

Finally a design flaw which allowed for a potential situation where a "slam fire" could occur with the right circumstances were met. There's a recall now from FN with it.

It appears all bases were covered. User error, equipment errors, and design error.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

So what you're saying is that carelessness was the cause?

wingsfan

Feb 11, 2017
    Ceciltucky
    You have to pull the trigger to take down a Glock as well. People get lazy and careless with guns, so proper training and practice are needed. My agency has the standard rules regarding firearms:

1. Treat every gun as if it were loaded.

2. Do not point the gun at anything you don't wish to destroy.

3. Make sure the gun is safe by
    a. remove the source of ammunition
    b. lock open the action
    c. check the chamber, magazine well for any ammo - check twice

I know everyone here probably knows this stuff, but better safe than sorry. I have had several interactions with buying guns over the years where I racked the slide and a round flew out. Always check.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Are the trade ins on the market? I want one.

I doubt you'll see them for sale any time soon. Rumor was they got destroyed since the Department didn't want a weapon they deemed "unsafe" sold again.

Without seeing the contract who knows what happened to them. If they were sold I'd bet there was a clause that they'd have to leave the Country. My money on them being melted down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom