• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peaceful John

May 31, 2011
    SNIP "The Second Amendment Foundation today filed a lawsuit in federal district court in Illinois, challenging that state’s concealed carry statute that restricts otherwise qualified non-residents the rights and privileges of carrying concealed firearms based solely on their state of residence." SNIP

http://www.saf.org/?p=4451

This could be big. It suggests there could be more than one way towards national reciprocity.

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    Is it just me, or is SAF quickly becoming what NRA claims to be?

Way to go.

It is to some extent, but the NRA serves as a lightning rod for anti-gun groups. While those groups focus all their energy, attention, and negative press on the NRA, a group like the SAF can concentrate on advancing the cause of regaining our Constitutional rights.

In other words, each is serving a purpose toward the end goal.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    SNIP "The Second Amendment Foundation today filed a lawsuit in federal district court in Illinois, challenging that state’s concealed carry statute that restricts otherwise qualified non-residents the rights and privileges of carrying concealed firearms based solely on their state of residence." SNIP

http://www.saf.org/?p=4451

This could be big. It suggests there could be more than one way towards national reciprocity.

It's definitely about time. Should be a slam dunk, and even if we lose at the District Court, we then have the 7th Circuit, who usually gets things right.
    As far as reciprocity I don't think so. It will be persuasive authority for cases against other states like CA and NY that don't typically issue to non-residents and have zero reciprocity.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]SAF Sues Illinois Over Restrictive CCW Residency Requirements[/FONT]

BELLEVUE, WA – The Second Amendment Foundation today filed a lawsuit in federal district court in Illinois, challenging that state’s concealed carry statute that restricts otherwise qualified non-residents the rights and privileges of carrying concealed firearms based solely on their state of residence.
    Joining SAF in this legal action are the Illinois State Rifle Association, Illinois Carry, Inc., and ten individual plaintiffs, all residing in other states and who are licensed to carry in those states. Under the restrictive Illinois statute, only residents from states with “substantially similar” requirements to obtain a carry license are allowed to apply for non-resident licenses.
    Only four states currently qualify under that provision. They are Hawaii, New Mexico, South Carolina and Virginia. None of the individual plaintiffs reside in those states.
    According to SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb, this situation is not simply unfair, it is untenable and we believe unconstitutional.
    “Our plaintiffs have qualified for carry permits or licenses in their own states,” Gottlieb said, “which means they have gone through background checks and other requirements that show they are responsible, law-abiding citizens. Yet, because of the current Illinois statute, their self-defense rights are suspended immediately after they cross the Illinois state line.”
    Named as defendants in the lawsuit are Attorney General Lisa Madigan, Illinois State Police Director Hiram Grau and Jessica Trame, bureau chief of the State Police Firearms Service Bureau. Plaintiffs are represented by attorney David Sigale of Glen Ellyn, Ill.
    “This lawsuit,” said Sigale, “is brought because it is unfair that otherwise qualified people from states outside Illinois, who work and travel in Illinois are barred from obtaining means to defend themselves in public solely based on their state of residence. We expect to correct that.”
    “We’re asking the federal court for a declaratory judgment on equal protection and due process constitutional grounds,” Gottlieb stated. “It makes no sense at all for Illinois to enforce such a narrowly-defined law that seems to recognize the rights of some non-residents, while dismissing the rights of most other non-residents. We can’t allow that kind of discriminatory situation to stand.”

[FONT=&quot]The Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) is the nation’s oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 650,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]< Please e-mail, distribute, and circulate to friends and family >[/FONT]​
    Copyright © 2014 Second Amendment Foundation, All Rights Reserved.​
    [FONT=&quot]Second Amendment Foundation
    James Madison Building
    12500 N.E. Tenth Place
    Bellevue, WA 98005[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Voice: 425-454-7012
    Toll Free: 800-426-4302
    FAX: 425-451-3959
    email: InformationRequest@saf.org[/FONT]​

T​

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    It is to some extent, but the NRA serves as a lightning rod for anti-gun groups. While those groups focus all their energy, attention, and negative press on the NRA, a group like the SAF can concentrate on advancing the cause of regaining our Constitutional rights.

All I ever see from NRA is "PANIC!!" and "GIVE US YOUR MONEY". They certainly do a lot more than that, but that's what I get in my mailbox from them.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD

True, but:

All I ever see from NRA is "PANIC!!" and "GIVE US YOUR MONEY". They certainly do a lot more than that, but that's what I get in my mailbox from them.

Unless you're paying VERY close attention, most gun owners are left with the feeling that the NRA ILA is the only game in town, when much of the funds they receive could be put to better use by SAF.

Just my opinion. I like NRA for what they do with training, and they do provide a focal point. But as far as getting things done, they're pretty inept.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA

NRA seems to handle legislation, and PR while SAF tends to handle the litigation end of things. Not to say either group exclusively works those areas, but those are their specialties.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    NRA does what they do, SAF does what they do, with a moderate overlap. Breadth in the Gun Right movement is a good thing , as long as we all keep our eyes on the goal instead of infighting.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013

You actually open your mail from the NRA? Mine goes right in the trashcan. Although I have gotten little mail from them since I signed up for that “Don’t send me mail” list. You should sign up for that, probably save an entire rain forest in terms of all the junk mail the NRA sends out.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    what many think when they join the NRA is that they have done their part. It certainly helps the NRA when they can say they represent 5 million owners, but the money that goes to the NRA itself is for your magazine and membership benefits, range improvement funds, event sponsorships etc. And membership fees don't even cover all those costs! The political and lobbying money is spent in the NRA/ILA (Institute for Legislative Action) and the PVF. The ILA is primarily political lobbying with some promotion of candidates either through NRA ads. The PVF (Political Victory Fund). The PVF provides the NRAs 'grading' of candidates plus contributions to many candidates as well as targeted advertising.

See : http://www.nraila.org/media/4584295/nrailabrochure.pdf

Both the ILA and PVF make use of donations directly to them. This separation of responsibilities helps the NRA keep it's tax status.

Because there are finite resources, sometimes the NRA has had to choose their fights. For example, they opposed taking SB281 to referendum. Why? In their opinion, the referendum would be lost and the best bet would be to wage the fights in court. The SAF doesn't always share these views and are therefore, often more aggressive in their approach. Then again, they don't mess around with grading of the candidates and other things. Because the NRA has many irons in the fire, the SAF has the luxury of targeting certain issues. They both play huge roles in gun rights

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Another message from SAF:
    [FONT=&quot]
    hZVEN2q.jpg
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]40th Anniversary[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [FONT=&quot]1974-2014 [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]SAF Tackles Another Anti-Gun Law [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Second Amendment Foundation filed a lawsuit in federal district court in Illinois, challenging that state's concealed carry statute that restricts otherwise qualified non-residents the rights and privileges of carrying concealed firearms based solely on their state of residence. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] We're asking the federal court for a declaratory judgment on equal protection and due process constitutional grounds. It makes no sense at all for Illinois to enforce such a narrowly-defined law that seems to recognize the rights of some non-residents, while dismissing the rights of most other non-residents. We can't allow that kind of discriminatory situation to stand. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Help us fund this lawsuit.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]DONATE TODAY[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]As you know, challenging these anti-gun laws can become a long and expensive battle. We need your help to ensure we have the resources necessary to turn these lawsuits into victories. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Joining SAF in this legal action are the Illinois State Rifle Association, Illinois Carry, Inc., and ten individual plaintiffs, all residing in other states and who are licensed to carry in those states. Under the restrictive Illinois statute, only residents from states with [FONT=&quot]"substantially similar"[/FONT] requirements to obtain a carry license are allowed to apply for non-resident licenses. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Only four states currently qualify under that provision. They are Hawaii, New Mexico, South Carolina and Virginia. None of the individual plaintiffs reside in those states. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] This situation is not simply unfair, it is untenable and we believe unconstitutional. Our plaintiffs have qualified for carry permits or licenses in their own states, which means they have gone through background checks and other requirements that show they are responsible, law-abiding citizens. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Yet, because of the current Illinois statute, their self-defense rights are suspended immediately after they cross the Illinois state line. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot]"This lawsuit,"[/FONT] said attorney David Sigale, [FONT=&quot]"...is unfair that otherwise qualified people from states outside Illinois, who work and travel in Illinois are barred from obtaining means to defend themselves in public solely based on their state of residence. We expect to correct that."[/FONT] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] 2014 has been an incredible year for the Second Amendment Foundation, thus far. Every victory is made sweeter by the fact that 2014 happens to be our 40th anniversary. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] SAF lawsuits have overturned laws not only in Washington D.C., but in several states including Illinois, California, North Carolina, New Mexico, Nebraska, and cities like San Francisco, Seattle, Des Moines and New Haven, among others. Threats of SAF lawsuits have removed well over 100 anti-gun-rights laws across the country as well as stopping hundreds more from being enacted. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] We are focusing our efforts on getting rid of unconstitutional violations of firearms owners' civil rights in Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, California and other states. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] SAF's record of legal victories on behalf of the right to keep and bear arms has set the bar for all current and future firearms civil rights litigation. This is not SAF's last step, but only the latest, in our efforts to win back firearms freedom, one lawsuit at a time. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Without you, all our doors would be closed and who knows what rights we would have left. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Thank you. I know I can count on you. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Sincerely yours,

Alan M. Gottlieb
    Founder
    Second Amendment Foundation

[FONT=&quot]P.S.[/FONT] Remember, the anti-gunners are raising tens of thousands of dollars to steal our rights from us -- we need your support now to help stop them dead in their tracks!

To send a check, please mail to:
    Second Amendment Foundation
    James Madison Building
    Dept Code 231
    12500 NE 10th Place
    Bellevue, WA 98005

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The Second Amendment Foundation (www.SAF.org) is the nation's oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 650,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control.

Paid for by Second Amendment Foundation, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Contributions are tax deductible. Copyright © 2014 Second Amendment Foundation, All Rights Reserved. [/FONT]​
    I know they're begging for money again but help them out if you can.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Life member of pretty much all of them. Don't think GOA did life memberships when I looked into it. Pretty sure JFPO does, need to change my sig block, plus I think they merged with SAF IIRC.

Why/how does a positive thread turn into yet another NRA bashing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom