• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    What options are there for practice and training with my HD shotgun. At Cresap I can shoot slugs, and at Continental Buckshot at static paper targets.

I have not tried trap, or skeet. Would I be laughed off the range trying to practice with my 18" cylinder choke 870, especially as a total noob?

I wish I had some land way out in the country, I'd buy trap thrower and have at it.

ShiNNinG

Jul 14, 2008
    White Marsh
    What options are there for practice and training with my HD shotgun. At Cresap I can shoot slugs, and at Continental Buckshot at static paper targets.

I have not tried trap, or skeet. Would I be laughed off the range trying to practice with my 18" cylinder choke 870, especially as a total noob?

I wish I had some land way out in the country, I'd buy trap thrower and have at it.
    Been to both ranges with my 870 Express HD gun. Took it out with a couple buddies to shoot trap at Carney Rod & Gun. Sure it looked silly and I only hit 2 birds in 3 rounds but no one laughed, in fact the guy next to me had a $12K shotgun and was very nice and gave me a few pointers. But in the end, the 870 Express is not meant for that kind of shooting, where the target starts at least 10 yards away and is moving quickly.

If sporting is something you want to take a decent crack at, get a different barrel for your 870, I found a couple on Cabellas for around $170 I think. That and about 15 minutes of your time to switch it out before you go and you will have a much better time.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    Been to both ranges with my 870 Express HD gun. Took it out with a couple buddies to shoot trap at Carney Rod & Gun. Sure it looked silly and I only hit 2 birds in 3 rounds but no one laughed, in fact the guy next to me had a $12K shotgun and was very nice and gave me a few pointers. But in the end, the 870 Express is not meant for that kind of shooting, where the target starts at least 10 yards away and is moving quickly.

If sporting is something you want to take a decent crack at, get a different barrel for your 870, I found a couple on Cabellas for around $170 I think. That and about 15 minutes of your time to switch it out before you go and you will have a much better time.

At this point I am interested in working my shotgun in its current HD configuration. Shooting Skeet and Trap for its sake is something I would look to do at some other time. Its nice to know that it was not too much of a problem to show up at a skeet or trap rand with your HD shotgun.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Some ranges had a minimum length for shotgun barrels, but if you are able to access a range with it, I would recommend skeet. The distances involved in trap shooting require a tighter choke and the shooting techniques lend themselves to longer barrels.

You should be able to get some free coaching at almost any skeet range if you ask for suggestions. The game of skeet, with doubles and varying target angles, lends itself well to HD practice. The shots are fast and you have the chance to operate your shotgun quickly to ingrain the muscle memory required to quickly stroke the pump. It will become an unconscious habit to quickly reload the gun after each shot.

When you catch on some, start shooting skeet "international style", with the gun dismounted and the butt below your elbow. The gun is not shouldered until the bird is called/launched and so you'll have additional "quick draw" practice. This style will sharpen your gun mounting speed and technique and teach you to get on target quickly.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    Some ranges had a minimum length for shotgun barrels, but if you are able to access a range with it, I would recommend skeet. The distances involved in trap shooting require a tighter choke and the shooting techniques lend themselves to longer barrels.

You should be able to get some free coaching at almost any skeet range if you ask for suggestions. The game of skeet, with doubles and varying target angles, lends itself well to HD practice. The shots are fast and you have the chance to operate your shotgun quickly to ingrain the muscle memory required to quickly stroke the pump. It will become an unconscious habit to quickly reload the gun after each shot.

When you catch on some, start shooting skeet "international style", with the gun dismounted and the butt below your elbow. The gun is not shouldered until the bird is called/launched and so you'll have additional "quick draw" practice. This style will sharpen your gun mounting speed and technique and teach you to get on target quickly.

Looks like skeet is my best bet. Thank you E.Shell

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    Do a flush (away from you) or flurry (toward you) event if you can find one... They are fun, Multiple targets in the air, as fast as you can go. Be careful though the barrel tends to get super hot after a round where you put 10-20 threw it.
    Also look into the IDPA clubs to find out abut practicle rifle/shotgun competitions and/or 3-gun comps.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    Do a flush (away from you) or flurry (toward you) event if you can find one... They are fun, Multiple targets in the air, as fast as you can go. Be careful though the barrel tends to get super hot after a round where you put 10-20 threw it.
    Also look into the IDPA clubs to find out abut practicle rifle/shotgun competitions and/or 3-gun comps.

More good sugestions. I think they do IDPA up in Thurmont. I don't recall if I have seen any discussions involving shotguns though.

NittanyLion

Jul 15, 2008
    Rockville
    I've only fired slugs at the NRA range, but that's good enough to just get a feel for the gun and how you need to aim with the bead sights at various distances.

m21att1

Nov 19, 2007
    That would be the next question. :D

To answer that question, I'm pretty sure the IWL (Izzak Walton League) in Mount Airy, MD has open to the public trap shoots almost every week. Looked it up on their website and here is the quote

"Through out the year, practice trapshooting is done every Thursday night, weather permitting (closed on Thanksgiving). This is open to the general public. All participants must provide their own gun and shells and pay pay $3 per round if a club member and $4 per round if non-member for 25 clay birds. There are also occasional turkey shoots." They shoot until 10pm...

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    The IPSC group at Thurmont has a practical shotgun match scheduled for Saturday, Nov.22. http://www.mpsa.net
    We also have a practical pistol/carbine match at the York IWLA on Sun., Nov.9

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom